“A Dream 2nd Anniversary”
Review of Osler House

Osler House
Ranked #1 of 2 Dundas B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2013

From the moment you drive down the lane way you on to the property you feel a million miles away from reality. The house is beautiful, incredibly decorated and very welcoming. We were there on a night where all three rooms were occupied but only once did we hear anyone so it was as if we had the whole place to ourselves.
After settling in and making a very good coffee in the Kerig in the room we were able to walk to Quatrafoil, a fabulous restaurant in Dundas. The location of Olser house is excellent, close to many things but tucked away so it is quiet and calm.
We stayed in the gold room and had a romantic night of sparkling wine, soaker tub, quiet and a cozy king bed.
Gary was a fabulous host in the morning as he set out a beautiful breakfast. This would be the first time for me of eating breakfast off fine china, gold chargers and silver. Breakfast was delicious and the conversation was even better. Sitting with Sara and Gary after breakfast and chatting was great and our walk around the grounds was the perfect way to end our mini-vacation.
I would HIGHLY recommend Olser House and my only regret is that we didn't stay longer to be able to relax in one of the many sitting rooms, read any of the antique books or play a little bit of pool in the parlour.

Room Tip: The Gold room was recommended to me and from what I saw the gold room is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We had a most wonderful experience at the Osler House. This is a charming and well appointed three room bed and breakfast. The Innkeeper, Gary, is a wonderful host and a most gracious and helpful person. The House is located near the thriving downtown in Dundas, which is walking distance away, where you can eat at the Bangkok Spoon (Thai) or at the Winchester Arms (a pub).

The breakfast in the morning is delectable. Of equal interest are the people you meet and chat with over breakfast.

Osler House has spacious rooms with modern bathrooms and amenities. Of the three rooms, two have attached baths, with the third having a dedicated bathroom down the hallway. Two bathrooms have showers whereas one has a bathtub with a shower fixture.

The parlors are nice and inviting. There's WiFi throughout.

If you are in Hamilton or visiting its West End, this is the way to go. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My husband and I stayed only one night in this beautiful home, but really regretted having to leave in the morning. Gary and Sarah are gracious hosts. The breakfast was gourmet and Gary was very concerned that he know if we had any dietary restrictions. My husband can't have wheat and received a wonderful tailor made breakfast. It was a cold night and we enjoyed a soak in the big tub followed by a game of pool. The home is very carefully decorated to respect the age of the house, but all the mod cons are there.
As we left in the morning, there were 3 deer taking a nap on the front lawn. What a lovely bonus to a lovely stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We had the Osler room which is the largest of the 4 rooms. Luxuriant and very comfortable with a lov...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We visit our children in Hamilton and usually stay with them but this past weekend, their home was filled so we had the opportunity to try a new place and feel we hit the jackpot with our selection of the Osler House. Gary is a most gracious host and an excellent cook. We had two breakfasts and each was memorable; imaginative menus, beautiful presentation, and delicious to boot! Gary filled us in on the history of the house, his renovations, the range of guests who have stayed and a number of other subjects about which we asked. The room was elegant and spotless; the ensuite bath, luxurious; and the light entered the house in all directions.
The House is very conveniently located and on a quiet property. We look forward to future opportunities to stay at the Osler House and highly recommend it to couples seeking comfort and a bit of Ontario medical history.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully appointed and each is unique in decor. Two have ensuite baths. No detail...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I stayed at Osler House while working out in Dundas for a few weeks in June. I have to say i had an absolutely amazing 2 stays! The house and room were beautiful, breakfast was absolutely delicious and as a bonus, the property was within walking distance to Dundas' historic downtown. Gary was a great host and I would highly recommend Osler house whether you are travelling for work or pleasure.

Room Tip: The Osler Room is beautiful!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2012

In May 2010, I stayed at Osler House and never got around to posting the review though I meant to. But I am doing it now because every time I happen to think about my stay there, I am still pleased. Gary was a pleasure to get to know, the room was beautiful, and the breakfast was delicious. (And those scones were the absolute best I I have ever had.) I would love to go back sometime, if I am in the area again.

Here's what I had written shortly after the stay and never posted:
I stayed at Osler House for a conference I attended at nearby McMaster University. It was close to the university, easily accessible by bus or car. Although I was travelling on a budget, I decided to stay here though it was a more than I had initially anticipated spending on accommodation. After considering all my housing options, I decided I would prefer to support a quality B & B with great reviews than a chain hotel with less than exciting reviews. And I am so glad I made the choice to stay here!

I had a wonderful stay. The value was amazing; the quality of my experience here was worth the price. The home is historical and decorated with nice antiques that reflect the style of the home. I stayed in the very pretty Sir Edmund Boyd Osler Room, which has a private, nice bathroom on the hall. The other two rooms are larger, also beautiful, with bathrooms en suite.

Breakfast was fabulous each day, and I enjoyed getting to know Gary. He is an exceptional host, and Osler House felt like my home away from home for the weekend (though way more elegant than my actual home!). I felt like I treated myself with my wonderful and relaxing stay here, and I was already recommending it to others I met during my stay!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Osler House is a beautiful old home close to the downtown Dundas area. The area is residential, but the quaint shops and restaurants of downtown Dundas are a few blocks away. Hamilton is also just a few minutes away.

The house is wonderfully furnished with antiques but it is warm, inviting, and comfortable at the same time. I stayed at the house for a week on a business trip, so I'm used to staying in hotels, but I chose the Osler House because the hotels in Hamilton didn't look special and the Osler House was convenient to Hamilton. Every amenity typical hotels have Osler House has in abundance. Additionally, the breakfasts alone are worth staying here for - everything is so fresh and cooked to perfection. The scones are to die for; I've traveled extensively in the UK and the scones at the Osler House rival the best I've had.

For the majority of my stay, Heather was my host; she's incredibly friendly, very helpful, and a great chef.

I would definitely recommend Osler House. The home has an abundance of charm and it really feels like home away from home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dundas
The Barracks Inn
#6 of 20 in Hamilton
Sheraton Hamilton Hotel
Sheraton Hamilton Hotel
#4 of 20 in Hamilton

Been to Osler House? Share your experiences!