“Tasty. Delicate. Fresh. Perfect.”
Review of Matsuri Sushi

Matsuri Sushi
Ranked #10 of 54 Restaurants in Dundas
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Is it as good as the following reviews? Yup, it really is.
There were six of us for dinner, two of whom really knew their Japanese food. I'm not really sure what we had but every dish was delicious. The ingredients were fresh and tasty. The sauces and dips were delicate, as they should be.
The service was attentive. When we needed help about what we should order our waitress was helpful, knowledgeable and charming. Another helpful thing she did was tell us when certain ingredients were running out just in case we wanted seconds of a particular dish.
The decor of the restaurant was plain, with some icky bits, like a chubby Buddha and porcelain cats. But who cares? The food is the thing and the food was fabulous.
Damage? $46 per person including tip. No booze. Lots of excellent tea.

1  Thank SteveDianeBarbara

Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was a such a great find! I stumbled upon Matsuri Sushi during a recent trip to Dundas, ON with a colleague and we were completely blown away. I eat Sushi regularly and have tried a wide range of restaurants, but this was by far the greatest experience yet. The fish and ingredients were extremely fresh, and the Salmon Tataki was over the top. I can't wait to get back to Dundas and bring friends.

3  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 9 September 2012

On Saturday, my mom and I had a craving for Japanese food. A friend had recently recommended Matsuri Sushi to me, claiming that it was the best sushi he had had in a long while. I understand that it was originally under a different name, Matsu Sushi, bit has now changed locations as well as its name. Feeling adventurous, my mom and I decided to check it out.

The atmosphere was bright and relaxed and the decorations articulated beauty and elegance. The most impressive dish we ordered was the Matsuri Platter, which came with a Rising Sun Roll (an exquisite roll with shrimp tempura, avocado, salmon and spicy sauce, topped with tuna, salmon, avocado and flying fish egg), an assortment of nigiri (tuna, salmon, flying fish egg, butterfish), and 4 pieces of tuna sashimi. When the platter was first served, I was thoroughly impressed with the presentation of the dish. The chef had shaped a cucumber into a magnificent lobster. I really appreciated that the aesthetic dimension was present in the dish – it enhanced its culinary appeal greatly.

On to the food: absolutely phenomenal! The fish was incredibly fresh and the rice was cooked perfectly with just the right flavour. My mom and I savoured every last bite of this platter and both enjoyed it immensely. I can honestly say that Matsuri Sushi is now my new favourite restaurant and would recommend it to anyone who has yet to try excellent quality sushi.

2  Thank ChrstnL
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I have eaten sushi in all the best places: Tokyo, Kyoto, at Nobu in New York and Mesa 8 in Lima. The nigiri and rolls at Matsuri sushi in this little town of 18,000 are right up there with the best. The chef Simon Wong is a fanatic about sushi rice and turns out some of the best I've ever eaten. His fish flash frozen and much of it from Japan (as is the case with much of the fish in top-flight sushi restaurants) is of top quailty, his nuri outstanding. Portion sizes are large, prices are reasonable. If you like sushi, you simply must give it a try.

3  Thank BennettG
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We really like Matsuri Sushi but when we ordered the bento boxes for lunch we were disappointed. We love the sushi but the bento box was carb heavy and not as great as we expect from this restaurant. All I can say is we will go back for the sushi--it is worth every penny. I'll skip the Bento Box.

1  Thank Melanie P