“Food - very good, Service- not so much”
Review of Matsuri Sushi

Matsuri Sushi
Ranked #10 of 54 Restaurants in Dundas
Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2013

First of all it's at 36 King Street East in Dundas, not 24 King Street East in Hamilton - two very different locations. I was there on my own on a rainy night and ordered the salmon teriyaki bento box plus a side of maguro sushi and unagi sushi as the bento box only came with California roll. The bento box arrived, but no wasabi - that's never happened before. Soon after the server brought the wasabi, the maguro sushi arrived. Several minutes later the server said the unagi would be there soon. Several minutes later, I asked the server where my unagi was and she assured me it would be there in a few minutes. There was only one other table occupied and I could only assume that the chef had gone over to Spencer Creek to catch the eel and then smoke it. Finally, after I had finished my bento box, the unagi arrived. Not the servers fault, but not my idea of good service in a somewhat pricey restaurant. All that said, the food was very good and I will go back.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I think that Matsuri Sushi (or Simon's as we call it) continues to be top flight and we consider ourselves regulars. I reserve "excellent" rating for the truly exceptional experiences in life, so my rating of VG should not be seen as out of line with all those other expressions of high praise.

We were there again recently for a light supper at the bar chatting with Simon as he dispensed some wisdom on rice and fresh ingredients. Our miso soup was warming. The snapper in ponzu was delicate, sweet and delicious. We followed with a GBK roll and tempura appetizer and concluded with a sliced blood orange courtesy of Chef. All impeccable if not cheap. $61 all in.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have been going to this restaurant for a few years now, both in its old and new location on King Street, Dundas. We usually go for the specials as these tend to be a bit 'special'. The blue fin tuna we had today was excellent. So my main advice is; always ask what the specials are.

1  Thank MartinS_Bham
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I can't believe there is a sushi restaurant of such high quality in Hamilton. I'd almost forgotten what sushi is supposed to taste like after years of being dragged to so-so "all-you-can-eat" joints like August 8. With sushi, you do tend to get what you pay for. The fish is top quality and ultra-fresh at Matsu Sushi. It's not cheap, but if you are on a budget, they do have very good value sushi combo plates for lunch ($13.99) and dinner ($16.99). The service is also excellent and the restaurant comfortable. I'm still just flabbergasted that I can get sushi of this quality in the Hamilton area. Go. You won't be disappointed.

1  Thank RamblingGal42
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The ambiance is relaxing and the service is effective and efficient. We enjoyed interacting with the friendly staff. The fish was fresh. However, the final product lacked firmness and was soggy. This mix created an unbalanced taste of strong fish and a dominant taste of vegetable. There were also larger than usual pieces of vegetable (such as avocado) in the final product at the expense of fish. The sushi rice lacked texture, composure and was larger than usual. The food presentation was fair at best. Overall the service is great but the main product (food) lacks balance of ingredience and therefore taste.