Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Palm Beach Villa(Pallipuram)
View Hotel
Le Petit Elephant(Cherai Beach)
View Hotel
Sealine Beach Resort(Cherai Beach)
View Hotel
Kadalkkara Lake Resort(Kochi (Cochin))
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
Blue Waters Cherai(Cherai Beach)
  • Beachfront
Samudra Munambam(Munambam Beach)
  • Spa
  • Free Internet
Cherai Beach Resorts(Cherai Beach)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmosquito netthe chinese fishing netsoutdoor showershort walkeco resortsister hotelstandard cottagethe cottagescoconut chutneygreat settingappamhot showerlimited menuback watersair conditionerrooms are beautifulpeaceful location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights in December. It's a, by and large, nicely done up place with little cottages situated on the backwaters. There are Chinese fishing nets within view, and you are within walking distance of the beach. Sadly, however, you cannot escape the downsides of semi-urban/quasi-rural India/Kerala. Your sleep is shattered by an equal opportunity barrage at about 5 am; the local temples,churches and mosque all compete to be louder than the other. There's not much the hotel or staff can do about this, but a restful night's sleep is out of the question. Unless you sleep at about 9 pm and wake at about 5 am, I guess (which I don't).

The rooms can be improved on. The windows have no meshes, so unless you keep the windows shut all night, you run the risk of having some unwelcome visitors while you sleep. And it's hot enough that it would be so much nicer if you could keep the windows open and let a little fresh air through the room.

Our room had a little sunken area in the bedroom, which looks nice and different enough when there's light, but is an absolute nightmare when you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and "forget" that it's not flat all the way.

We had chosen the option of the room the with outdoor shower, which is nice. However, the nice backyard/sitting area is slightly ruined by the fact that they don't have grass but sand. You end up tracking all the sand back into the room/sitting area, which is really annoying and messy. That's something which can also be easily fixed.

The other problem was the bathrooms. There's no separation between the shower area and the toilet, so it all gets terribly wet and messy easily. Again, a slightly better design could have fixed that, it may be harder to fix at this point because the bathrooms are small as it is.

The "restaurant"/sitting area is very limited, with limited space, and the food options are not that great. However, the staff are all uniformly friendly and helpful, but this is not a fancy, high-end place with uniformed staff. It's all a bit ad hoc, but you cannot fault the staff for trying and being helpful and generally nice people. Breakfast and tea/snacks were included, but they didn't really tell us that until when we paid the bill.

I'n giving Les 3 Elephants 3 stars, but I think it could be 4 stars, perhaps 5 with a few little tweaks and changes!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank eunsileela
benjamincovo, Propriétaire at Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

Dear Patron,
Thank you for your review. We change management three weeks ago and we will improve aal matters you talk about. Thanks again for your advices.

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed here after travelling through the South of India for 17 days. We had hoped this would be a top hotel since it had received such good reviews, but though it was ok, it was not as good as expected and hoped.
The location is good, between the backwaters and the beach and the hotel does have a nice atmosphere. The rooms are nicely decorated. However we had booked a room without aircon and although we were told that would be sufficient, it was way too hot at night with the fan only. We were given a room that had no view on the backwaters and really felt sold short there. The owners, though present, never welcomed us which we felt was a bit arrogant. One day the cleaners forgot to clean the room and there never was an apology nor explaination. We had cockroaches in our room every day.
Since our room was close to the communal area, we did have the 'luxury' of wifi in our room (when it worked, which was about half the time).
We were informed of the massage options and boat trip, but when we wanted to book, it was full on both days.
The restaurant consists of 4 tables for 4 people ans sometimes that means you can´t have your dinner there cause it is full. You can also sit a bit closer to the backwater on very uncomfortable chairs. Some quests ate in their rooms we noticed. The food is a combination of western and Indian-food-adapted-to-western-tastes. There were slight variations in the menu every day, which consists of 3 starters, 5 mains and 3 deserts. We did not recognize the food as typical Keralan. After giving it a try once, we then chose to eat at Brighton Beach house. About hundred meter north from the 3 elephants. A place right on the beach so you get a nice breeze.
One more thing to note. There are thousands of crows in this area. If you have a room that is more ´open´ than be aware of the noise these birds make from 5 in the morning until sun down.

Room Tip: Book a room with air con and check that you get one with a good view. Room 5, which we had, had a small enclosed garden and had plenty of character but no view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
benjamincovo, Propriétaire at Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Patron,

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Thanks for yours advices. We changed management one month ago and we will make sure that you will be properly welcome if you come back to visit us.

Reviewed 31 December 2012

I stayed for two nights in December 2012 after reading the fantastic reviews on tripadvisor. I stayed here at the end of a non-stop 15 day tour around southern india so wanted two nights of chilling before heading home to my normal somewhat hectic life. Firstly the plusses. It is very easy to get to - a taxi from Fort Cochin where I was staying cost 750 rupees and took about 1hour 15 mins - the taxi driver slightly struggled to find it as it is not really on Cherai Beach but a couple kilometres down the road. In fairness though I can read road signs and I thought it was very well signposted and think my taxi driver was ignoring them and couldn't understand me. On arrival I was taken immediately to my room which was one up from the basic and it was really very nice. It overlooked the backwaters. had a lovely high ceiling, gorgeous bed linen, a lovely shower (when the hot water worked) and a very unusual basin, had lovely seats outside where I spend the afternoon reading a book and unwinding. The hotel have built a walkway through to the beach which takes about 5 minutes or so walk. The beach is really not the nicest place in the world and as not the strongest swimmer in the world I was not brave enough to swim but the water was lovely and warm and was a good place to blow away the cobwebs..

So now sadly onto the negatives: I was given very little information on arrival which I felt was because I was a single traveller. Whilst I was offered a massage (NEVER NEVER ever have a head massage!!) I was not offered a boat trip which I noted that two couples went on the next day. I was not told about dinner and had to ask. I had to find out for myself about mossie hour (for information between 6 and 7 - do not venture out!). Also on my second day although no fault of the hotel there was some festival going on and there was loud music going on ALL day and most of the night so my so called relaxing retreat was far from it. When it finally stopped the church music started! and I had to get up at 5 am and I bearly slept a wink and then had 20 hours of travelling ahead. I commented about it to staff and I really think the staff could have been a bit more apologetic. As I was travelling on my own I ate both nights in the hotel restaurant. Again I felt as I was a solo female traveller service was poor. Food was excellent the first night - delicious prawns but I had to ask them to take them away when they had been sat at my table for an hour - a single man had had his taken after 10 mins. The next night despite having very few eating in it still took them 1hour 45 mins to serve me 2 courses. The food was not very good either which was a shame - I had to ask for a sauce for my dry fish - by the time the sauce came the fish was cold - there was no apology for this at all. I would also be weary walking on the beach as a single female as you can get quite a bit of male attention.

A positive story to end on though I made friends with a lovely group of children when I was there who waited for me on my second day and even drew me a picture. Lovely to see Indian children enjoying the beach without even a bucket and spade.

If you can cope with a 30 min walk would recommend walking down the beach to Chillout Cafe for lunch. (Do note that as far as I could tell there were no other restaurants and definitely no shops in walking distance).

Another real plus is the hotel is so close to the airport and therefore leaving the crack of dawn as I did I got to the airport in no time.

Overall I would recommend this hotel but think it is more suited to couples.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Rebecca1pink
benjamincovo, Propriétaire at Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2013

Dear Patron,
Thank you for your review and advices. Be sure that we will improve our welcoming for everybody.

Reviewed 29 December 2012 via mobile

Our three night stay was simply wonderful here. From the moment we arrived we were looked after with the greatest care and attention. Whilst our room was being prepared we were served a mixture of Kerelan breakfasts and continental - all of which were great, accompanied by equally good coffee.
The bungalow (6) was beautiful; two bedrooms, an upstairs balcony and a great wet room. The main bedroom had AC - a welcome relief from the heat! We looked out onto the immaculately kept gardens and the serene backwaters.
A minutes walk took you to the beach; a long stretch of sand backed by palms and boulders. A deeply shelving beach meant cautious, but fun, swimming!
The food was superb, the menu including both South Indian food and some European classics (great steak!) As soon as you sat in the comfy restaurant area, the very friendly staff were immediately there to serve you.
On Christmas Eve, extra lovely food was served and traditional Kerelan dancing. The dancers were brilliant and so enthusiastic.
I would love to come here again, I could not recommend it it highly enough!
Thank you 3 Elephants to a magical start to our adventure! You were all so lovely.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Patron,
Thank you very much for your nice review. We hope you had a wonderful travel... and maybe see you again!

Reviewed 26 December 2012

Les 3 elephants
We absolutely enjoyed staying here for four nights after a three weeks` Panchakarma treatment .
The various Kerala-style bungalows show handicraft skills in perfection ,they are lovely furnished and very clean. Sitting on the porch means facing the backwaters and enjoying the excellent cuisine.
The staff is absolutely careing and Harish is always ready for giving a deep insight into religions and philosophy based on his yoga and meditation experience.
We really enjoyed our final warm days in India before returning to cold Europe.

Room Tip: drinks are a bit expensive in comparison to food, the cheapest room is opposite the restaurant
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Patron,
Thank you very much for your nice review. We will be happy to welcome you agin in your next trip to Kerala.