“backwaters meet the beach”

Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Cherai Beach
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Much against well-meaning advice, we went to Kochi in July, which is considered a wash-out due to the monsoon...but, to our utmost delight, we only got intermittent rain, but enough spells dry and fairly bright weather to make the most of it. Importantly, since this was off-season, there were hardly any guests, and it was like the entire property was our private resort. Staffers Sudhir, Gibson and all the others were most helpful, and made our stay memorable.

Lovely authentic thatch-woven roofs, red-oxide flooring, lovely bathrooms and beautiful sit-outs, with each cottage having a unique and distinct interior, together, set beautifully in a closed arch, so none faces the other directly, and each, gets a fabulous view of the backwaters sitting out, or even right from your bed! A water-channel that divides the property like the central spine in a fishbone structure, allows the tide to bring the backwaters right into the property. A little bridge to walk right over it adds to the charm.

Only a short 100 metres or so away (a meandering walk through a narrow, paved pedestrian path between village homes, lies the great Arabian Sea, now bordered by large-stone embankment to guard against a tidal surge a la the tsunami... a kilometere or so south, lies the long sliver of clean beach Cherai. The main beach promenade has some quaint snack stalls and street vendors making yummy chilli fritters, and boiled-egg halves fried in batter. Half-way down to the beach on the road skirting the coast, lined by casurina trees, are 2 or 3 great home-style fish-curry-rice kind of places that will serve you melt-in-your-mouth fresh fish gravy or fry, with boiled rice, which is a local staple. Back at L3E, you will get some splendid fusion of indo-frech cuisine, aapam-stew from the region or crepes and galletes. If available, you can even rent a no-gear scooter (which you have to refuel on your own at the town's closest petrol pump about 2.5 kms away - but a couple of litres of petrol are enough to fumigate the entire network of the local roads with!-) and ride through the beautiful roads that cut across the back-waters and ride alongside, at places. A far cry from the city snarl of Kochi, yet just a ferry-hop across to the city's heart Fort Kochi to the south. The ferry is from the southern tip of the 'sliver island of Cherai. Just a 45-min ride in from the airport. Quaint, sublime, must-do. A beautiful outdoor'sy reading library with seating for two and books in french and English (owe that to the french owners who run this marvel!) and a peaceful, serene ambience (no TVs in any rooms, please! Want some sound entertainment, listen to the birds, or the waters gently lapping the property. Nov-to Feb might mean a waiting period. i'd say try the off-season, if you dare to brave some condensation and precipitation. It will be a revelation!

Room Tip: Every one of the cottages are terrific, but if you can put up top-dollar, go for the backwater front...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
benjamincovo, Owner at Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this extensive amazing review. This is actually one of the best reviews we ever had, and, with your permission, I am considering using it to advertise off season holidays. Being expatriate in Kerala since seven years now, I agree that there is a special charm is enjoying off-season Kochi. The whole Kochi area being more and more popular in the whole world as a unique holiday destination, peak season is often crowded, mainly in the very touristic area of Fort Kochi. Our Cherai beach is still a kind of secret destination, so always more quiet, especially around our resort situated 2 km from the main beach. Yet, even here, off season offers a special experience, an unparalleled opportunity to meet local people and witness the real life of coastal Kerala. I am delighted that you enjoyed it so much, and I have no words to express the great quality of your descriptions.

Sadly I did not have the opportunity to meet you during your stay, I hope that you'll visit again so that I'll get a chance to know you in person.

Thanks again for your wonderful review,

Reviewed 9 February 2014

What can I say excellent through out ok you pay a little more but well worth
Location as they say is everything perfect place to chill and relax
I know some will say no alcohol but the nearest bar is a stroll away about 1 k at most
Food was very good me being almost a vegy staff very helpful helped me to get my trip back on course

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on our property. Usually excellent reviews get shorter answers than the bad ones... This is unfair, but understandable, as there is not much point in bragging about compliments... Yet, be sure that good reviews are never taken for granted, and always appreciated.

Thanks again,

Warm regards,

Reviewed 4 February 2014

Great Location. Great View. Great Rooms. Great Service. Great French hosts and above all Brilliant Supportive Staff.
Not only will I return if I get another opportunity but have already started recommending the same to a few friends of mine.
Being a Global Director handling one of the Largest Hospitality Chains in the World ( Hilton), I can tell you that this is been one of the Best Hotel Experience me and my family ever had Globally.
Thanks a lot for the great memory and stay

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shovan S

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your amazing review. Coming from an experienced high-end hospitality professional as you are, this is particularly gratifying, and so a great motivation. I ll make sure to convey your compliments to the whole team, they will value it as much as I do. Thanks also for recommending our property to your friends, this is a huge honor and a much appreciated support.

We hope to see you again soon,

Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

3 elephants provides a one-of-a-kind experience. It provides a serene atmosphere and is great for letting you leave the hectic city life. All the rooms are backwater facing. They are made in a way that make them look like hutments. The cool breeze in the mornings and chinese fishing nets swaying in the wind are a delight to watch. The management and staff are very pleasant to interact with.

The food is average but overly priced. However, there are good eatouts in close vicinity of this resort.

To reach this place, you can take a flight or train to ernakulam/cochin and hire a cab. We booked a cab in advance the resort itself. That removed the hassle of running after cabs.

You can lounge the whole day long in the resort and from afternoon onwards when the sea breeze starts you can be at the beach which is a 2 min walk. We rented the beach chairs for a 100 bucks and spent some real good time soaking the the cool air and getting tanned. Its almost a private beach with anyone rarely turning up in a 4 mile stretch.

All in all an amazing time spent.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing positively our property. We of course value all our guests and reviews, but it is always special to have nice comments from our Indian guests. Being French, it seems sometimes easier for us to please our European guests, as we are well aware of their tastes. But domestic tourists are as important for us, if not more. We are trying to learn how to please everyone, it is not easy and a lot of progress can surely be made. That's why I am particularly glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is a great motivation for us. We would be happy to see you again in Cherai beach.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

pleasant people, excellent food and very beautiful location!
I would like to go there again for a longer stay than the two nights we had. We had the no.11 cottage just at the water and enjoyed the view, the sunrise and no mosquitos. A short walk to the Arabic Sea with the beach and easy to get out into the water for a swim.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this positive review. Having spent the whole afternoon answering reviews, (I have neglected this duty for a while, due to the incredible amount of various tasks required from an independent hotel owner... Shame on me...) I am short of words to express our gratitude for so many warm compliments. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It's beautiful, relaxing, and calm. The staff is amazing and very helpful. The food was always delicious, and the beach really close. Rooms are all different, so choose what you like (for example some have outside shower, and some don't). Loved it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review. I ll convey your compliments to our team. We are all very happy when we receive such a review and it is a great encouragement to keep up the hard work. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Recently stayed here with my family. Our party consisted of 3 kids my brother my wife and my mum. WOW what can I say such an idyllic setting, lovely staff, great food, beach literally 5 min walk.

It was stunning I highly recommend and if ever I am in Kerala I am definitely staying here!!

Room Tip: Lake front rooms have an amazing view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

What to say...

Thank you so much!

Hope you visit us again,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cherai Beach
#3 of 8 in Cherai Beach
The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Taj Malabar Resort & Spa Cochin
Taj Malabar Resort & Spa Cochin
#8 of 229 in Kochi (Cochin)

Been to Les 3 Elephants Cherai Beach? Share your experiences!