“Great place for a treat”

Hotel Catalonia Reina Victoria Wellness & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Ronda
Barry
“Great place for a treat”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I guess you have to splash out a bit and opt for a room with a view. Which is what we did, and a view you get!!! Spacious rooms, comfy beds, two TVs (but the satelite does not cover BBC....), toileteries, tea making facilities, mini bar, big towels, bath robes, slippers, and all very clean. Best of all (after the view) is the warm spa jacuzzi/steam sauna with extraordinary and friendly service (they make you a cup of tea while you relax enjoying the view) - and it's free of charge.
NOT free of charge is the parking, for which they want a whopping 15 Euros/day, which seems a Ryanair-like attempt of ripping off.... Advice: Park in the street instead. We did not try the breakfast, because, again, at 16 Euros it seems a lot, and as we love to sleep long, we opted for having one of the many daily menus (7-12 Euros for three courses!) down town. For my personal interest, the newly renovated interior was a bit too modern and minimalistic (prefer a bit more of romantics), and - as others have pointed out - the glass doors to the toilet are a very stupid idea. However, the shower room is amazing, and the water is always hot. Further, as it is beginning to get chilly now, there is a well and quickly functioning heating system in the room. Being a bit out of town (but really, not far, max 10 minutes to walk), it was very quiet, and a very relaxing place to go to and recuperate after some hours of walking and shopping in beautiful Ronda. The staff is very friendly, too - so we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there!

Room Tip: Take a room with a view, otherwise, what's the point?
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is the perfect hotel for enjoying Ronda. The views from the dining room and spa are spectacular - wherever you are, the beauty of Andalusia surrounds you. It also has all the things you'd expect too: comfy bed; spacious room; tasteful decor; friendly staff; excellent breakfast; and soft towels. What's not to like!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ali M
Torremolinos, Spain
Reviewed 3 November 2012

This hotel has been brought up to the modern day with edgy design and all home conforts in the rooms but thankfully, non of the charm of the original Victorian hotel have been lost. The "Bones" of the building are all intact which makes for a homely feel of solid luxury. I use this hotel as part of my Mr Henderson´s Railway tour and it never disappoints but now, having spent the night there, I can firmly recommend everyone this gem of a country hotel.

Room Tip: Worth the splurge to upgrade to a room with terrace and view of the valley. The backdrop will assure...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Manni C
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed for 7 nights, room 107. The room had an awesome view, nice sized balony and the room itself was airy. Nice shower, toilet slightly odd in that it was just a frosted glass partition but overall the room was great. Minibar/fridge in room. TV was nice flat screen, only UK channel was BBC World, but only tried to use it once. Free WiFi in rooms.

The hotel seems newly built/refurbished to a really high standard. Nice outside pool (but too cold to use in October), and good health spa with steam room, v v large jacuzzi, normal beauty treatments. Had full leg wax which was good price at 25 Euros.

The staff were very accomodating, allowing us to store bikes and boxes in secure rooms throughout our stay.

Teething troubles with the "new" hotel were that the room entry cards needed resetting daily, and that the aircon was not commissioned.

Car parking was expensive, I think 10 Euro/day, however on street parking just outside the gates ie a couple of minutes walk was free and always available.

Walk to the bullring and restaurants was 5 minutes max, the location was fine in that it was a quiet part of town but very local.

Well worth going, possibly the best hotel in Ronda?

Room Tip: Room 107. The room had an awesome view, nice sized balony and the room itself was airy. . Was 2 d...
3 Thank MTBSteve11
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Hotel and Facilities
This hotel is brand new and has been renovated with taste. The exterior of the hotel is modern and forgettable but the interior is really charming. The standard rooms are somewhat small but are again very tastefully decorated and equipped with all the modern cons (cable tv, air con). The bathroom was new and clean. Overall a very good package.

We chose the hotel because it had free and easy parking which was the case. The location is fine: about 5 minutes from the Plaza de Toros and about 10 minutes to the Puente Nuevo and Ronda historic centre.

However, the real shame about this hotel is the service. It was simply not up to the standards of a hotel of this price (EUR 120 per night) or number of stars. We started having problem with service even before our arrival. The hotel is poorly signalled and we couldn't find it. So we called reception (in Spanish) and the lady we spoke to was simply not able to tell us how to get there despite us telling her that we were in front of a hospital which we later find out was literally 50 metres from the hotel.

On arrival at reception, there were 3 ladies at the desk. One was serving a group of customers so I tried to speak to the other two who unhelpfully told me that I had to wait for the lady that was busy, even though the other two did not do anything throughout my wait. After 15 minutes, we were eventually served but we were treated as if they were doing us a favour. No apology for the wait, never a smile and we were not told about breakfast, the hotel facilities, where to park the car, literally nothing not even where the room was located, instead I had to ask all of the questions myself. Nobody offered to take us to the room or to take our luggage there. The matter was made worse by the fact that, during the wait, I had been able to hear that the previous customers had instead been given all these details and were escorted to their bedrooms.

I later tried to use the hotel indoor pool and spa which I was told was free to use (apart from massages) within the hours of 8 am and 8 pm. I got there the first time at around 3pm and it was locked shut. I went again 2 hours later and was told that I could only go in with a swimming cap. I complained that I had not been told that at the reception, so I asked if I could get one from there. I was told that I had to pay 2 EUR which I thought was ridiculous for the price of the room but the worst thing was that they wanted payment in cash (which I did not have as I was in my swimming trunks) and I could not even put the cost on the room bill. I gave up and went back to my room.

The following morning we had breakfast which was ok. It had a selection of products but it was all of average quality. Needless to say nobody asked whether we wanted coffee or anything. You had to ask for it yourself!

This is the typical case of a hotel that is refurbished to very high standards but is managed poorly. For the price of the rooms, I would go somewhere else!

2 Thank MarioPizza
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Stayed here two nights as part of a tour.
On edge of town so quiet, 10 minutes walk to town centre.
Amazing views over gorge.
Room recently refurbished and generally high quality but no seperate bathroom. Shower and toilet are behind frosted glass directly off the room. Very modern and good if you like that kind of thing but we did not.
Bar service terrible first night and reports from others in group that restaurant food was good but service appalling.

1 Thank CliffordM8
Reviewed 18 October 2012

The hotel has been totally renovated and is now beautiful with the exception of the very odd entrance hall. The views are spectacular and the staff charming. The restaurant was much improved and the service good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing out over the valley far below give the best view.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business