“Top Class Tapas- a star in the making”
Review of De Locos Tapas

De Locos Tapas
Ranked #6 of 309 Restaurants in Ronda
Price range: US$6 - US$23
Cuisines: Spanish, Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small tapas restaurant with a nice atmosphere. And modern tapas fusion andalusian, basque, with a nice prices. English speaking and different tapas all days. Full Sunday closed .Not bar service.
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This place is astonishing. Over the years I've occasionally had food by Albert Roux, Anton Mosiman and Raymond Blanc but tucked away by the medieval city walls away from the main tourist trail there is modern spanish food that matches it. Go there now before this guy becomes an international star; go twice. The tapas menu is chalked on a board on the wall, you sit at tables out in the street (but come early or expect to wait). The owner/chef will painstakingly lead you through the details of each. And what a treat- the menu isnt fixed but based on what is available; we had Moroccan chicken skewer which melts in the mouth after two days marinading and is served with a mini tabbouleh; foie gras toast with ginger ice cream was shockingly good, home-smoked duck with quince jam exploed on the taste buds, melts-like butter braised ox cheek with mini dauphnoise potatoes was possibly best of all, smoked salmon and goats cheese was exotic. This is food of the highest quality prepared with love and care. Four of us ate like kings for 40-odd euros- I couldnt believe it was so cheap. And one other point- my teenage daughter is coeliac- she cant eat anything with wheat- this often leads to blank looks and frustration when we eat out but the chef couldn't have been more helpful- modifying his dishes so she could have almost anything on the menu. This was so good we went again the next night

Write a ReviewReviews (1,824)

Reviewed 30 August 2012

This place inroads is just in the heart of the lovely old town and in front of a door in the city walls. It's just few tables in a small nice square, next to another place that is much more "popular" oriented. This place is incredibly good and incredibly cheap. We had eleven tapas, and not mushrooms, we're talking about salmon, tuna, duck, just for starters, plus 3 beers and water, and we spent 20€. We were incredibly delighted. The blackboard on the wall tells you what to choose from. Just pick anything!!!! It's so good and so well presented.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

The excellent reviews of this restaurant are spot on; we liked it so much that we visited 3 times during the course of a week's stay in Ronda (but note that it is closed on Mondays). The place is hidden away through the Almocabar arch in Ronda old town and at first glance is no more than a few chairs and tables set out in a courtyard. But the food is everything here - the proprietor is a real enthusiast and very creative in combining unexpected flavours. He is happy to go through the menu and explain the various ingredients (in English if required). Each day's menu depends on the availability of produce locally. It is tempting to try as many dishes as possible and this is assisted by the very reasonable prices. Many of them are described in detail in other reviews; suffice it to say that we enjoyed everything we ate and a particular highlight for me was the foie gras on toast with ginger icecream - a surprising combination and absolutely brilliant!

1  Thank geogmaster
Reviewed 19 August 2012

It's all been said already. This place is a little gem. The owner is a passionate food lover who wants to serve good quality, freshly prepared tapas. It is refreshing to have a variety of tapas on offer that whilst are not strictly the traditional Spanish one's that you can get in practically every tapas bar in the town are absolutely beautifully thought out combinations of flavours with influences from many different countries. I love Guilhermo's passion, his dedication, his understanding of flavours, his humility and his work ethic. He has made me have to go to the Basque Country where he is originally from and where he tells me food is everything. As for value for money, we have eaten at some of the best Michelin star restaurants in the U.K and paid four times as much for similar quality dishes, I realise that sitting in a cobbled street in Old Ronda might not be as "posh" as say "Le Manoir aux Quats Saisons" in Oxfordshire or the Roux's " Riverside" in Bray but for me it comes down to the food and this place does not disappoint.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

To give you some idea of how highly my wife and I rate this perfect Tapas restaurant, we drove from Nerja for over 2 and a half hours to be there for Lunch today and this is a return visit, it was so good the first time! When we arrived the doors were shut and I feared that maybe we had made some mistake, but we were just a little bit early. The owner duly arrived set us up 2 chairs whilst he got the rest of the seating area ready and then came out with 2 beers whilst we waited for them to be ready.

It wasn't long before he brought the blackboard out with the offers of the day, as he described each dish, I knew we would try them all, each sounding better than the last.

His excellent descriptions could not do justice to the flavours and the presentation we then experienced. Every dish was constructed and cooked with such flair that I must admit had we not had to return to the coast we would have quite happily stayed for dinner!

Tabouleh -I don't know how he does it but normally I wouldn't touch couscous this was amazing, Ox cheeks with layered potato-unbelievably good, they didn't have this the first time we came, the tenderness of the beef (it melted in your mouth) and the layered dauphinoise style potato with a hint of truffle oil.
Moroccan Chicken skewer - served with a small helping of tabouleh excellent the name doesn't do it justice.
Tuna from Barbate - seared tuna served with coriander soya and sesame oil, the middle pink and as the owner said just like aberdeen angus steak cooked rare, exquisite.
Marinated salmon toast - salmon with a dill sauce served on a crispy toast spread with goats cheese-wow
Smoked duck toast - duck smoked in house thinly sliced and laid on top of toast topped with a quince jelly and I think also fragrances with truffle oil.
Hamburguesa - a mini hamburger made from veal, with a slice of cheese some bacon and a quails egg all served in a mini bun.
Beans with ham- forgive me I don't remember the Spanish name but this dish was elevated by the de locos tapas chefs, normally when you order this as tapas elsewhere the beans are huge and very hard, here they are soft and delicate complimented by Serrano ham.
Cod bacalao toast - a sashimi of cod served on an avocado spread on toast, topped by sundries tomatoes and sweet peppers. Sounds good right ? Well it was awesome.
Pickled Japanese cucumbers with ginger and wasabi and soy sauce - excellent palate cleanser.

And the piece de resistance - except it is irresistible - Foie GRAS toast - Foie gras served on a bed of artichoke jam on a slice of toast. Words cannot define how this tasted.

If you are in southern Spain and you like really good well presented well thought out food, served by a man who is so enthusiastic about cuisine, who cares about good customer service and makes the whole experience of going to a restaurant an absolute joy then you owe it to yourself to visit this restaurant.

And if you are wondering about the cost of the meal, suffice it to say that including drinks and dessert we had change from 40 euros for 2 of us and at the end we could not eat another morsel.

In a word - Awesome