What do you expect for less than £100 a night for two people? Mostly something pretty basic and pretty ordinary. This hotel does rather more and gives you more of a four star experience and a touch of five
star at two star money - which is its official rating.
The rooms are huge - around 20x20 feet with big bathrooms, separate terraces and comfortable furniture, and that's just the basic ones. The suites are twice as big. The style is crisp and modern, with bare
boards and rugs.
Breakfasts are fine - the usual mix of fruit, cheese, ham, cereals and so on. Nothing wrong with it except charging more for a couple of eggs is a bit strange.
Dinner is a choice of two options for each of three courses. The menu
is designed around whatever's good that day, accompanied by home-grown vegetables. It's first class cooking but not cuisine but at 35 euros a head you shouldn't expect more. The wine list is pretty good and the wine is stored properly. Again, it's moderately priced - not bad value at all.
There's an honesty bar which actually is an honesty bar - just sign and pour. Pretty much any drink you can name is there, along with all
the bits and pieces you need for cocktails and ice on tap, or rather via an ice machine.
The position is spectacular - I doubt you'll find better in the area,
apart from the Parador in Ronda (which is twice the price). It's also
conveniently situated for day trips, provided you have a hire car - which is a must. The grounds are well-tended by a gardener who obviously loves his job.
The staff are friendly and welcoming and are a fund of advice on the local area.
Now let's take some of the recent gripes. Lack of cleaning - not when
we were there. It was pretty much spotless. The only fault I saw was a bit of mould on the bathroom grout. I mentioned it to the managers and was assured that it was bign fixed. The pool was cleaned thoroughly every day (though a bit of warm water would have been welcome - it was distinctly refreshing to swim in).
Noise - there is a bit between floors but not a huge amount. Staff chatting when you want a siesta is not recommended but work has to be done.
Frogs - yup, there are there in the pond and at frog mating season they do like to draw attention to themselves. This can be annoying if
you are a very light sleeper but what is supposed to be done? Kill
the frogs? Personally, I like frogs and if they want to croak, let them croak. If you don't like frogs and croaking, don't come in early June. By the way, all Spanish frogs are called George - they shout Jorgé, Jorgé to each other.
Bathroom towels - seemed ok to me. If you want Frette, go to the Four Seasons and pay Four Seasons' prices. Don't get me wrong, I love Four Seasons. I just can't afford Four Seasons all the time.
Light at windows - have to agree that the light does come in a bit and I also hung up a towel. It's because the shutters don't quite fit. A little bit of adjustment and perhaps a draft brush would solve
the problem. Then again, it was hardly a chore to put up a towel.
Like a B+B - well, up to a point. All boutique hotels are a bit like B+Bs.
In all, if you want a restful break in great countryside with lots to see nearby and don't want to break the bank but do want a reasonable degree of comfort, this is a place for you. If you want true luxury, you'll have to pay a lot more for it. This is honest, good value served with a smile by people who enjoy you enjoying yourself.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine a small luxury suite hotel run along the lines of a laid-back country house party thrown by friends. In a renovated rural olive oil mill, with beautifull Ronda within sight, where traditional Spanish architecture meets post-modern design and eclectic furnishing. A short drive from cosmopolitan Ronda but with all the country house comforts to tempt you to just siesta by the pool or on the lawn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, HotelsClick, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel La Fuente De La Higuera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel La Fuente De Higuera
- La Fuente De Higuera Hotel