Chena Hot Springs Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Goldrush Inn(Fairbanks)
View Hotel
Hotel North Pole(North Pole)
View Hotel
All reviewsdog sled ridenorthern lightssnow catmoose lodgeaurora viewingaurora ice museumgreen houseworth the tripice sculptureshiking trailshot wateryear roundoutdoor poolclam chowderwake up callfairbanks areamuseum tour
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were in Alaska to see the Aurora Borealis, and the night we rode up the mountain in the Snow Coaches and stayed for a few hours (with Yurts available with heat and hot drinks) we were treated to a magnificent show. The Hot Springs are wonderful (We'd been there before in Summer, and it was great, but soooo good in the cold, with snow on the ground.) Meals and drinks were above average, even for this Vegan. Cocktails and wines were also exceptional. The Ice Museum is really something to see, with it's Wedding Chapel, Cocktail Lounge (Try an Appletini from a carved ice "glass"!), Bedrooms, etc, all made entirely out of ice. Great trails, dog sled rides, places to view the lights...

2  Thank bcblack
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My review is not for the hotel, but for what we could actually do just driving in for the day. I had never been to Alaska and my husband was deploying from FWW, so we made a day of Chena. I couldn't get passed the sulphar smell to get in the springs, but we did go dog sledding, into the ice museum, and ate dinner (OMG good). My favorite part was actually the food and drinks. I had to drink to endure the cold! ;) I'm also an ice tea drinker (plain) and there's was the best I had in Fairbanks. Dog sledding was great, too. Would definitely recommend for those 2 things alone. The tour of the ice museum was informative, but kind of pushy and somewhat rude. He wouldn't discourage ME from going back, but might some.

3  Thank Christina G
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The auroras were awesome. The hot spring is wonderful first thing in the AM, before the loud international folks and the 20-somethings showed up; OK from 10-12; dreadful after noon. Loved the reindeer, the sled dog kennel tour, the goats clumping around in the snow and did I mention the auroras were amazing? Food excellent. Accommodations so-so; really tiny rooms with paper-thin walls. My moderated enthusiasm is due to the extra cost for absolutely everything. For what I paid, they could have thrown in a free tour of the ice museum for crying out loud, or loaned a pair of snowshoes.The greediness really pissed me off. All the nickle-and-diming contrasts with the Bettles Lodge. Unless you live in Fairbanks and are driving in, or really, truly can't take an extra couple of days to fly above the Arctic Circle, go to Bettles Lodge instead.

Room Tip: Everyone I talked to had the same experience with noisy, tiny rooms, old accommodations.
7  Thank Victoria L
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My family stayed at Chena over the Spring Equinox weekend, a busy time for the resort. We arrived late morning so could not check in until 3 p.m., but we were given pool passes that gave us immediate access to the pool and hot springs, which we used and appreciated.

We had booked a Signature Room, which was essentially a two double-bed dorm-style room with very basic amenities, in a two-story, eight room building. We were on the ground floor, which meant that it was very disruptive when anyone from one of the other seven rooms came in or exited the building. There were, between the hot springs staying open until midnight, and those heading out through the night to check on the aurora, dozens of instances of the main door banging shut and people tromping up the stairs beside our room. I wasn't expecting a full night's sleep (we, too, hoped to do some aurora-viewing), but the noise of the constant coming-and-going got annoying.

We got up to view the aurora at 3:30 a.m., having been awoken by a staff member who was knocking on our neighbor's door, saying "The lights are out, the lights are out!" This was a welcome interruption, and we headed out as well, walking up the dark hillside to the "aurorium" viewing area. The aurora was not dramatic that night, but we felt fortunate to see them at all, and none of the negativity in this review has anything to do with not getting a better "show". We had heard that the resort did wake-up calls for when the aurora was out but when I asked a staff member about this she thought that we couldn't rely on them as they sometimes "fell by the wayside."

We ate all three of our meals in the main dining room, and in a Groundhod Day-type moment ended up at the same table in a dark interior room all three times. The skinny on the meals: reasonably-priced, decent main courses, salads were as fresh as anything in Alaska (thanks to the greenhouse on site), the service was mediocre. Lots of waiting (for tables, even when there were empty ones), for someone to take our order, to get our check.

There are some things Chena Hot Springs Resort is to be commended upon, especially given its remote location, such as the thermal energy plant and the greenhouse production. But there are so many small touches that could truly set it apart that would cost next to nothing. The dining room often had heavy curtains drawn that unnecessarily blocked out a lot of natural light; extra chairs and tables were dumped just outside the restaurant in the restroom area that gave it the feeling of being a dead zone; historical photos of the area could have been much more prominently featured instead of hung in forgotten corners. And the poolhouse changerooms could have benefited from one of those spinning quick-dryers to get most of the moisture out of bathing suits that were about to be packed in luggage for the trip home. Sometimes, doing things the "Alaskan way" can be charming and quirky, at Chena this mainly means it is amateurish.

Another small but important improvement that would be so easy to make: the pool reception area also serves as a quasi-pharmacy, selling everything from disposable bathing suits to shampoo and toiletries. But seeing condoms and anti-diarrhea products on sale AT THE POOL did nothing to enhance the quality of my experience. Sure, we're 50 miles from the closest drug store, but for goodness sake, sell those items somewhere else on the property.

The rock pool outside (no kids under 18) was the main attraction for me, and it was glorious to stand in the sun, look at the surrounding peaks, and relax. Some areas of the pool have extremely hot water on the surface, and those with sensitive skin need to be careful about where they travel within the pool. At one point walking through a certain section I felt like I was scalding my stomach. Other areas do not suffer from this, but the heat can quickly get overwhelming.

The resort also needs more staff oversight of the hot springs. In several visits to the rock pool over two days, I never saw a staff person out there, and once when I walked past late at night (on an aurora-seeking mission), there were a bunch of younger yahoos in the springs with open liquor bottles. Glass (and alcohol, for that matter) in the pool is not cool. Guests should not have to be policing that.

Overall, I was glad to visit, Chena does have its natural beauty and location going for it, but on the service and accommodation front it falls well short of where many would place their expectations. Having been once, I do not expect to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AirCanuck
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Follow Chena Hot Springs Road until it ends, there are no signs until just before the entrance to the resort (about 56miles).
Our accommodation was basic, but we weren't here for the accommodation. I had read this is one of the best locations to view the aurora and they weren't wrong.
Accommodation includes access to the hot springs which are amazing, lockers take a $0.25 and you don't get your money back so once you lock the locker you will need to pay another $0.25 if you forget to put something away. Towels are also included. skip the "spas" and just head straight for the giant hot springs, as you wonder around you will find reallly hot pockets of water, take care on the ramp as it is slipery in some spots.
Lots of activites at the resort but book early as most things are booked out by early morning.
The aurora tour is $75pp, the ride up is about 30mins and very bumpy. Up the top you can keep warm in the yurt which is toasty warm and they provide unlimited warm drinks and noodles.
We were lucky enough to witness the aurora on both nights we went up and the sight was just magical.
There is plenty of room up the top for people to spread out and take photos of the aurora.
Make sure to dress super warm, you can hire snow boots for $15 and other clothing.
The restaurant is ok, with nothing else around there is not much choice.

1  Thank Ricaaaa