“Nice experience but needs refurbishment”
Review of Ferrycarrig Hotel

Ferrycarrig Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferrycarrig
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Myself & my boyfriend booked a weekend here to get away for his birthday. The experience as a whole was lovely, mostly down to the staff. We found they had upgraded us to a suite which was very spacious and had lovely views of the River Slaney, also had a jacuzzi bath which was nice. Considering we paid 300 for 2 nights we felt that we got our money's worth with the suite. We popped down to the bar for a drink and when we got back to the room had found they had left us balloons, chocolates, strawberries for his birthday which was a really nice touch. Expect to pay 20 return to get into the town, I personally didn't think the food in the hotel was great. Breakfast on the other hand was better with plenty of choice. The pool and gym facilities need an upgrade for this to be considered a 4 star hotel, same goes for the decor in the bedrooms, it was just lacking star quality. Great staff though!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelbugLM
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to share your feedback. I was delighted to read that as a whole your experience was lovely and that you encountered great staff. It is most reassuring to hear that you were happy with our suite offering and it's worth. It was our pleasure to recognise your boyfriend's birthday and I hope it was celebrated in style. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation in food but I am somewhat pleased to read that breakfast was good.
I have taken note of your comments in regards to upgrades and refurbishment and I do assure you that we are constantly looking to improve and that refurbishment is on-going at the Ferrycarrig.
We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the near future.
Derek Coyne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,951)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

stayed recently for 2 nights, really prompt check in and lovely lady on the check in desk. We had a beautiful room overlooking the river. We went to eat in the bar and had lunch which really was not great. Mushrooms were luke warm and greasy. We ate dinner the next evening which was just as fair. If there is a wedding on be prepared for noise in the corridoors and below in the bar.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wbearsmom

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for posting your review. I was pleased to read of the positives of your experience with our staff and indeed the room, however I was most disappointed to learn of the issues in regards to dining at the Ferrycarrig. Please accept my apologies for our shortcomings in our food offering and rest assured your comments will be addressed with our team.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence on a future visit.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel for one night with our three children. The staff throughout the hotelo are without a doubt exeptional, the room we were allocated was great with three children it is often hard to get a good size room, but in this case it was very good. Howver the quality of the food in the restaurant was terrible, My starter was lukewarn, and I had to send my maincourse of fish pie back as it had no flavour what so ever, the waiter enquired if I wanted more fish in it??? This would imply to me that its a common complaint, when I said it was more like a flavourless soup he said he would tell the chef, & asked if I would like somehting else, at that stage I declined as I had lost my appetite. My sons steak came with greasy chips (about 5) and the only vegetable accompanment to my husbands meal was a bowl of mushy carrotts. The childrens meals were basic considering we were eating in the restaurnat and not the bar, and paying restaurant prices. We asked to speak to the manager the next morning, but may as well not have bothered he said he was sorry but to be honest I don't think he really cared thats the impression we got. We were really looking forward to our nght away and a nice meal but it was totally spolt and we definelty would not return or recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Glenealy2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the Ferrycarrig. I was met with disappointment after reading your opening and I apologise for letting you down in aspects of your stay with us. I appreciate your positive compliments in regards to exceptional staff and a great room. Your experience in Food & Beverage is not what we are renowned for and I assure you the issues you have highlighted will be addressed hastily. I am truly sorry that we did not deliver a complete package but I would ask that you would reconsider your stance on a return and afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Overall we had a very pleasant stay - an issue with our accommodation was sorted pleasantly and efficiently by the ladies on reception. Our eventual room a Jnr suite family room was very nice with a great decking area to sit and admire the views across the river and well worth the upgrade. Sleep quality was excellent . All the staff we encountered were pleasant and eager to assist and the general level of cleanliness throughout the hotel was good. Breakfast was decent enough, plenty of everything. Our only bone of contention was that the hotel was very busy with weddings during our stay and due to the layout of the general areas means they do impact fairly significantly on guests. In particular the bar/restaurant and terraced areas. Bottom line I would book again but probably opt for early in the week mon- thurs when there is less chance of feeling like a wedding crasher.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to share your views. I was delighted to read that overall you had a very pleasant stay and I especially took note of the excellent sleep quality. I will be glad to pass on your recognition to the staff that you have highlighted for praise.
We endeavour to accommodate all guests at Ferrycarrig and it is our utmost objective to ensure everyone's comfort throughout. I am sorry to hear that our wedding guests impacted somewhat on your comfort. It is most reassuring to read that you would book again and we very much look forward to having you back very soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This hotel desperately needs refurbishing - the rooms are lovely and spacious but the bathroom fittings are falling apart and let the beautiful rooms down. I had a ground floor room and was surprised that I heard none of the noise of the weddings over the May Bank Holiday weekend.
The staff at reception, the Dry Dock Bar and the Breakfast service are ALL without exception fabulous - the housekeeping staff let the rest of the staff down - they are slapdash and there is no consistency in what they do. I was very surprised that a hotel this size has only one disabled room but the staff more than make up for this lack of disability rooms - would be nice though just from an ease point of view but this would not, and will not stop me going back - thank you to the reception, Dry Dock and Breakfast service staff for making my stay (of ten days) so totally lovely....

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jan H

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I was most pleased to read the caption on your review, however I was disappointed to read on and learn that we did not live up to expectations with our bathrooms. This has been identified as an area for refurbishment and plans are underway to address this. It is most reassuring to hear mention of exceptional staff as a whole and it will be my pleasure to convey your remarks to all concerned. I am surprised to hear that housekeeping staff did not deliver the same standard and I assure you this will be discussed thoroughly with the accommodation team.
I am glad to hear that there are no barriers in stopping you returning and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Came here 25 years ago and did not recognise the place this time round. Modernised out of all recognition (and not all fo the best in places).
Went there for lunch for five of us. Seated fairly quickly, served rather slowly, but the food was good without being pretentious. Reasonable value but not listened to by the waiter. I have an alergy to onions, and asked for NO ONIONS.The dish came smothered in onions, so had to change to fish and chips.
Beer was good though!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Bolger1
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do hope that you found certain aspects of the modernisation to be pleasing. We have received numerous compliments and applause for the refurbishment and upgrades that have been completed from some of our most discerning guests. After reading your review I was pleased to read your positive feedback in regards to good food coupled with reasonable value for money. I must apologise for our inability to follow your directive with the food order.
I hope that you will consider a return visit sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

An excellent weekend was had in this establishment during the Easter Weekend of April 2014.

Reception was adequately staffed by three charming, polite and extremely courteous young ladies. Check-in was conducted in a very speedy and efficient manner especially when taken into account that there were in excess of 40 people in our group.

All the common areas of the Hotel including bars, restaurants and most important of all the bedrooms were bright, modern and spotlessly clean. The food throughout the whole weekend was of excellent quality, properly cooked and presented and the portions were very generous.

All the staff the we encountered during the weekend were at all times polite, courteous and totally focused on the needs of their guests. Albeit we were an entirely adult party the hotel caters well for family groups and younger children.

Room Tip: During our stay the 5th floor appeared to be used to accommodate adults mainly and as result offered...