“Nice family break”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ferrycarrig
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice family break”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Spent three nights here with two children aged 8 and 11. Enjoyable break. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was excellent and the children thoroughly enjoyed it. Our room was nice, we had an issue with cleaning and this was quickly resolved. The downside to the hotel was the internet connection in the room was very bad and TV had limited channels. Food in the bar was mediocre and we had to queue for up to 20 minutes for a seat at breakfast. The queue for breakfast was strange as there were always empty tables, an overview of the system for seating guests would be good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for finding the time to review your stay. I was most pleased that you came across friendly and helpful staff and delighted to hear that the children thoroughly enjoyed the facilities in the leisure centre. I am however disappointed to learn of downside and assure you that we will give this our full attention. I am concerned to hear of the poor grading of bar food and also that you were queuing for such a length of time. To address the breakfast queuing I would like to politely say that unfortunately queues are unavoidable at breakfast as most guests tend to come in the last hour to avail of breakfast. I assure you we work extremely hard to seat guests quickly and I personally have never come across a 20 minute wait as we would feel this is unacceptable. In regards to empty tables I can only speculate that these tables were in need of clearing and resetting as should they have been ready then guests would have been seated immediately. We constantly revisit all of our systems and procedures with a view to offering the best possible outcome to our guests.
Thank you for bringing this feedback to our attention and we do hope that you will consider a return visit sometime in the near future.
Derek Coyne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Polish first
Dublin
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just returned from a lovely four night stay at the Ferrycarrig hotel with our two sons, aged 15 & 11. We had a thoroughly enjoyable break. On arrival we received a very warm welcome from Aisling. We were aware when booking that the check-in time was 4pm. This did not deter us because we knew that we would want to eat somewhere and thought that the hotel would be the best place to do this. Aisling explained that our inter-connecting rooms were not ready upon our arrival at 2pm, as expected. However, she offered to take our luggage, told us that we were more than welcome to use the hotel facilities (leisure centre etc.) and provided all of our dining options. She took a mobile number and texted us at 3pm to advise us that our rooms were ready. Everything ran very smoothly and efficiently.

This hotel is a great base for anyone who wishes to tour the area. The Ferrycarrig National Heritage park is literally a few hundred metres across the road. This hosts an array of exhibits and dwellings which allow people to explore Ireland during Mesolithic, Neolithic, Celtic, Early Christian, Viking times etc. It is particularly great for anyone studying for Junior Cert History. A short drive into New Ross will take you to the Dunbrody Famine Ship which is well worth a visit. We also visited the JFK Homestead and Hook Head Lighthouse.

We were so impressed and delighted to be told that upon production of our hotel key card most of these sites (and others not listed) would provide a 20% discount to residents of this hotel. This was great value and a really positive incentive which promotes Irish culture and favours the customer!

We ate all of our meals in the hotel even though we were not on a half board basis. We tried eating elsewhere in Wexford but, to be honest, we couldn't find anywhere to match it. The food was excellent and the staff were very attentive and obliging. At breakfast there was the odd 'queue' as some mention but we were not left unattended for more than a minute or so and the staff did everything they could to seat us as soon as possible. It was very comfortable and a wide selection of food on offer. Perhaps the menu at the Dry Dock Bar could be a little more varied with more fish options? Despite this, I couldn't fault the food or the service.

Our rooms were lovely (208 & 209). They were very comfortable. If I were to make suggestions (and these are suggestions, not complaints!), I would consider a fridge or mini-bar. The hotel provides a bottle of water free gratis which is most welcome but warms very quickly in the room. I would also re-consider the quality of toilet paper. Also, the booklet in the room which provides valuable information about the hotel services mentions that you can buy any of the products provided in your room. It mentioned bath robes. These weren't supplied in our rooms. I'm not sure if they are only supplied in more deluxe or executive rooms but it would have been nice (as most mothers I would imagine would like a little bit of luxury!) Finally, the steel chairs on the balcony could be replaced - very tired and not very enticing. Useful for drying the swimwear though!

On that note, we paid a visit to the swimming pool and we really enjoyed it. The staff were so friendly and the facilities are excellent. We regretted that we only used it on our last day!

This is a great hotel and it is extremely family friendly. There were a lot of young children around and we noticed that there was a clown who entertained in the evenings. He held them captivated and added great humour to the place.

Any suggestions that I have made are purely 'cosmetic'. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and I think that this is testament to the friendly, efficient staff. We hope to return!

Room Tip: A room over-looking the River Slaney is a must. It is fab. I have added a photo of our view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you very much for sharing such great feedback. We sincerely appreciate the detail you have gone into and our heartfelt thanks for your compliments. I have made a note of the recommendations you have highlighted and will be giving them deserved attention.
I am delighted that you encountered friendly and efficient staff and that the Ferrycarrig was found to be extremely family friendly. We are most happy to have the magic and mystique of giggles the clown on our doorstep. He certainly makes an impression!
Thank you for having chosen the Ferrycarrig and it is most rewarding to hear that you hope to return.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed here the first week in August, and loved it. Staff everywhere were brilliant, so friendly and efficient. The rooms are not very big but are clean and comfortable. My parents had a room with a balcony which was well worth it as the views of the river were very nice. Breakfast was lovely, ate in the restaurant and it was nice too but a little expensive when your paying for 2 adults and 2 children, didn't eat in the bar. The kids club was brilliant and my little girl keeps talking about it. There is also a little activity play area outside which is nice. The pool area and gym are fantastic and so clean. You are a short drive from Rosslare beach if you have the weather and a drive to Kilmore Quay is well worth it. I really can not fault this hotel, from the time I picked up the phone to make the reservation (and spoke to Georgina who answered all my questions and was just so nice to deal with) to checking out. Even though this hotel catered nicely for my family I would also recommend for couples also.

1 Thank Sogorman09
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Ferrycarrig. I was most pleased to learn of your experience with us and your compliments are most appreciated. We are most proud to be associated with brilliant, friendly and efficient staff and I look forward to conveying these remarks to our team.
I am delighted to hear that we tick the box not only for families but also for couples. We are most grateful for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in April. Lovely comfortable room. Very friendly staff and couldn't have been more helpful with my gluten free dietary requirements. Including fresh baked gluten free bread with every meal. Our balcony overlooked the river and we were entertained by the antics of the nesting swallows and all the river birds. A lovely stay.

• Stayed April 2014
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for sharing your views with us. I was delighted to read your review of the Ferrycarrig and we greatly appreciate your compliments. It is most reassuring to hear that your needs were very adequately met and that you had a lovely stay with us.
Thank you for choosing the Ferrycarrig and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime very soon.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We arrived on Monday evening, met by nice receptionist and settled in to our room which was supposed to be a deluxe room. The room was basic, bathroom could have done with a bit of a facelift and I feel shower curtains are a real no no in a so called deluxe bedroom, being objective the view is lovely. This is an eco hotel, so there is no conditioner in showers in leisure centre ,and in our room which was 303, I got scalded because I could not regulate the hot water. Also we could here all activities in the room above us. Breakfast is good, but be warned you will have to queue. Bar food is again ok , but I felt portions were mean, especially the sweet potato wedges and vegetable portions. The hotel is very clean , the staff aim to please and they do .

Room Tip: Try to get a room on higher floor less noise . Go to breakfast early as there are a lot of people qu...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was most pleased to read of your encounter with efficient and friendly staff at the Ferrycarrig Hotel. We sincerely appreciate this recognition. I have noted your comments in other areas and to address the your comment in regards to bathrooms we are planning refurbishment in the very near future. I am very sorry to hear of the water temperature issue and we will look at this immediately. I am glad that all in all you were satisfied with food, however I am disappointed to hear that you felt portions were mean as this is something unheard of here. May I say that the only bar food item with sweet potato is listed as a small course or starter. I would also like to politely say that queuing for breakfast would be common place in high season in many hotels and we work extremely hard to turn tables as fast as we can to minimise waiting times.
We really appreciate your feedback and respect the points you have made. I do hope that you will consider a return visit sometime in the future.
Dublin
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Decided to take an opportunity to head off for a night with my youngest (3) and Ferrycarrig offered excellent value for what we were looking for.

We arrived early so our room wasn't ready but our bag was taken and told it would be in the room when it was ready and that they would call us then. Went down for some lunch and it was lovely, staff were excellent, food was too.

We got to the room and were obviously upgraded as the room was huge for a standard.

Took the chance to go swimming and again the staff in the leisure centre were fantastic (although bring your own swim hat, they are expensive!!)

A local entertainer was around the hotel making balloon animals etc. My little man was only delighted.

I saw a bus load of teens arrive (I guessed a local Debs) and was very disappointed that I hadn't been informed of this on booking as I had a small child and didn't want to be disturbed. There wasn't a sound, only for I'd seen them arrive I would never have known they were there.

The hotel was clean and quiet.
I would highly recommend

Room Tip: The corner rooms are very big, I was in 311, much bigger than a standard hotel room.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Ferrycarrig. I was delighted to read of your findings and it is indeed most rewarding to hear that we offered excellent value. It was our pleasure to have you with us and we hope that you will consider a return visit sometime in the near future. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation.
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our daughter's wedding reception was at the Ferrycarrig and it was absolutely excellent. The service was superb as was the food, and the staff made all the guests feel like they were the most important people in the world! All the guests who stayed were delighted with their rooms and breakfast, so overall, we'd really recommend it. Oh- and the view is beautiful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
derekcgm, General Manager at Ferrycarrig Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for reviewing your experience at the Ferrycarrig and an even bigger thank you for such a fantastic endorsement. I was delighted to read of your findings with service, food and staff friendliness. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and thank you for the recommendation.
Please pass on our best wishes to the newly weds and may I say it was our utmost pleasure to host such a special event.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Derek Coyne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferrycarrig
Whitford House Hotel Health and Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Ferrycarrig Hotel? Share your experiences!