“Very good but could be great!”
Review of Brown Horse Inn

Brown Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Winster
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A group of eight stayed for one night. The rooms varied in standard and unfortunately the shower/hot water failed in two of the four rooms. Thankfully, the quality of the food and beer helped ease some of the issues and when the bill was presented the next day the management had been fair with their reductions.

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex appear to be better.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Beebs11

Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Was lucky enough to spend the night here with my wife. The room was comfortable with a huge window and nice patio in front (barn conversion). My wife said there were cobwebs on the light but I could not see them. We had dinner in the bar which was proper gastro. The steaks were so tender like butter. Courgette chips were a highlight. And own brewed real ales. Lovely.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank BrighousePete
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night stay, I cannot fault this country Hotel/Inn. The location is stunning, the welcome was warm, the staff friendly & efficient, room clean & tidy, food excellent, large portions and decently priced. We ate in each night, home grown veg and locally sourced meats... cooked to perfection,very good portion sizes too. So much so that after eating a starter and main course neither of us had room for a sweet, most unlike us. The garden room which we were allocated was large and airy, plenty of storage for clothes, the shower room had clearly been upgraded recently, the shower cubicle was spacious and the water jet was powerful. Each of the garden rooms has a table and chairs outside for the occupiers use, just right to sit with a pint of the pubs own beer and watch the world go by. The restaurant was busy both nights so I advise you to book so that you are not disappointed. We will be returning to this location again and again.

Room Tip: If you intend to eat in the restaurant I strongly advise you to book. If possible request a garden r...
1  Thank TTurk
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The good lady and I visited for lunch having been for dinner with friends and family on a couple of previous occasions.
We checked out the lunch menus on the websites at a couple of its contemporaries, but weren't particularly inspired.
Nothing especially flash, but a great election, well cooked and beautifully presented. All served with efficiency in a great setting. Fancy a great pub lunch at a classic Lakeland Inn? Look no further.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

A beautiful pub and hotel. Stunning views, great staff and quite possibly the best food I've ever had! Home grown veg and locally sourced meats... cooked to perfection. . I cannot recommend highly enough how tasteful the food is! Great Randell of beers... Will defo return...

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Couldn't fault our stay, staff were very friendly, service was excellent, accommodation is beautiful and the food is outstanding, everything we ate was of outstanding quality and very good portion sizes too. Can't wait for our next stay.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jennyj78
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My partner and I visited the Brown Horse in February of this year after purchasing a 2 night stay on WOWCHER. Having never visited the Lakes before i wasnt too sure what to expect but to say this hotel exceed my expectations would be an understatement. Our room was perfectly clean, extremely cosy with a lovely view of the surrounding area and a beautiful modern bathroom attached. Every thoughtful detail was covered including hot chocolate as well as tea and coffee supplied as well as a pass for the local spa which allows you to visit free of charge, always a bonus! On our first night we decided to try the resturant here, safe to say after the meal we recieved we didnt eat anywhere else for the duration of our stay! Affordable meals but outstanding quality, with free range locally sourced products. The staff were welcoming and friendly and couldnt do enough to help you. Furthermore the breakfast we recieved which was included in the price of the stay was also exceptional. It was nice to be given the choice of hot food to order from the menu as well as continental selection that was on offer and I was also pleased to see that salmon was an option and not just the generic full english that most places offer. Overall, I can honestly say that this is one of the best experiences of a weekend trip that I have had and I would recommend this place to anyone. Its not often I say this, but the Brown Horse Inn is flawless, already in the process of booking our next visit. Thank you for making my partners birthday such a memorable occasion :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gemmabear11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winster
2 mi away
Windermere Hydro Hotel
Windermere Hydro Hotel
#11 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe
Lindeth Howe
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Brown Horse Inn? Share your experiences!