Brown Horse Inn
US$170
  • Pool
US$174
  • Pool
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$164
Cranleigh Boutique(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$213
US$192
Hotels.com
All reviewswowcher dealthe pubboth nightsown micro brewerylake districtsticky toffee puddingminute drivefantastic foodbooked a tablebeer gardenbowness on windermeresunday lunchfish and chipsreal alepielittle gemnight stay
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The wife had organised (yes I am lucky) a weekend at the Brown Horse Inn in Winster near Windermere. The room was lovely, clean and fairly spacious and shower / bathroom was of a good standard. We eat here four times (twice breakfast, which was huge!) one lunch and one evening meal, all were spot on (booking recommended) their own beers are a treat as was the "Gin special" a real Gin & Tonic after an afternoon walking in the fells. Everyone was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, well worth a visit a meal or a really good pint!

Paul & Karen Sinton

Room Tip: Outside rooms have nice area to sit and watch the world go by.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sinto2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my Wife.

When we first settled into our room I wanted the Wifi password. So I called down to reception, the line rang out. I called again, it rang out again. I called the pub line, it rang out. I called it again, finally someone answered and gave me the Wifi password.

For our first evening meal I had wanted to try their pie, as they advertised it at the top of the menu as a famous world renowned pie, only to be told they had no pies that day :(

So, I settled for burger and chips, which was nice (there was nothing else interested on the menu). For drinks they had a nice menu of 6 famous local beers, I asked for the one I fancied only to be told only 3 are available. After paying up I noticed other customers were given 2 mints, but we were not given mints.

Next evening, again I was looking forward to trying the world famous pie only to be told there are no pies again. So I settled for burger and chips again. When asking about the 6 local famous beers, I was told that only 1 was available for that day. However, this time the staff remembered to give me the 2 mints when I paid up.

That evening a couple next door was blasting their TV at around 11:30pm. When I say blasting, this is no exageration. It was as if we had a very loud TV playing in our own room. It started about 10pm and by 11:30pm I decided we could not take it anymore so I called reception.... line rang out. Called reception again... line rang out. Called the pub line twice, rang out. So by 11:45pm I had to go to the next room and knock the door and ask them to turn the TV down.

(as a customer I don't feel I should have to pay to stay at a hotel and have to be the one to go around rooms asking people to keep the noise down).

I would not recommend staying if you like pies and beer. If you are a driver then i'd suggest driving into Bowness for a proper meal. Expect to have to go hunting for things yourself (such as the Wifi password) and expect to be kept up late by other guests unless you are happy to go out into the corridors late at night trying to negotiate some peace & quiet.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Martin S
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Had a fabulous time at the Brown Horse Inn. Spent 2 nights here on 1st and 2nd May. Rooms are lovely and a great power shower. Fabulous breakfast and very friendly staff. Will definitely return. NOTE: Hendrix the pot bellied pig is partial to your left over breakfast. NO meat though.

Room Tip: The outside rooms have a lovely view of the garden area with their own patio.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank janet r
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Nice location, good clean accommodation, nicely decorated rooms, ours had nice views of country side, good choice and quality of food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, excellent value on deal offered. All surrounded by lovely countryside. We both enjoyed our few days here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith S
Reviewed 20 April 2014

thank you for an excellent few days ,better service I have only experienced in usa and the food was of the highest quality I would recommend this inn with pleasure the location is very rural and peaceful

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple