Brown Horse Inn
  • Pool
US$222
US$194
  • Pool
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
All reviewswowcher dealthe pubboth nightsown micro brewerylake districtsticky toffee puddingminute drivefantastic foodbooked a tablebeer gardenbowness on windermeresunday lunchfish and chipsreal alepielittle gemnight stay
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at The Brown Horse towards the end of May on a 2 night deal. We had room 9 which is one of the court yard rooms. The room was a good size, and the bathroom was fine for a short stay. The view from the room was lovely, two seats are supplied with cushions to use for your stay just outside the door.The weather was fine the day we arrived so we made use of this? The pub has a great bar with some good beers and has an inventive chef who is using as much local produce as he can. The meal we had was good quality and priced at what we would expect. Breakfast was of a good standard as well. My husband had a bacon roll one day and a sausage sandwich the next. I had eggs on toast which were fine. We would happily use the Brown Horse again when wanting to stay in this area as it has some lovely walks right from your door. Hendrick the families pet pig is gorgeous, but please get him a playmate soon.

Room Tip: Room 9 was well located and very quite. You could leave the bathroom window open.
1  Thank Sparkey_10
Reviewed 31 May 2014

stayed at brown horse with a wowcher voucher no compaints till check out and they wanted another 60 pounds cause the kids wre off school i am a pensioner and feel totally rippef off wont be back. the room was okay shower good but could do with a good clean as could the restarant some food on floor for 2 days

7  Thank patsywatsy2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The wife had organised (yes I am lucky) a weekend at the Brown Horse Inn in Winster near Windermere. The room was lovely, clean and fairly spacious and shower / bathroom was of a good standard. We eat here four times (twice breakfast, which was huge!) one lunch and one evening meal, all were spot on (booking recommended) their own beers are a treat as was the "Gin special" a real Gin & Tonic after an afternoon walking in the fells. Everyone was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, well worth a visit a meal or a really good pint!

Paul & Karen Sinton

Room Tip: Outside rooms have nice area to sit and watch the world go by.
3  Thank Sinto2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights with my Wife.

When we first settled into our room I wanted the Wifi password. So I called down to reception, the line rang out. I called again, it rang out again. I called the pub line, it rang out. I called it again, finally someone answered and gave me the Wifi password.

For our first evening meal I had wanted to try their pie, as they advertised it at the top of the menu as a famous world renowned pie, only to be told they had no pies that day :(

So, I settled for burger and chips, which was nice (there was nothing else interested on the menu). For drinks they had a nice menu of 6 famous local beers, I asked for the one I fancied only to be told only 3 are available. After paying up I noticed other customers were given 2 mints, but we were not given mints.

Next evening, again I was looking forward to trying the world famous pie only to be told there are no pies again. So I settled for burger and chips again. When asking about the 6 local famous beers, I was told that only 1 was available for that day. However, this time the staff remembered to give me the 2 mints when I paid up.

That evening a couple next door was blasting their TV at around 11:30pm. When I say blasting, this is no exageration. It was as if we had a very loud TV playing in our own room. It started about 10pm and by 11:30pm I decided we could not take it anymore so I called reception.... line rang out. Called reception again... line rang out. Called the pub line twice, rang out. So by 11:45pm I had to go to the next room and knock the door and ask them to turn the TV down.

(as a customer I don't feel I should have to pay to stay at a hotel and have to be the one to go around rooms asking people to keep the noise down).

I would not recommend staying if you like pies and beer. If you are a driver then i'd suggest driving into Bowness for a proper meal. Expect to have to go hunting for things yourself (such as the Wifi password) and expect to be kept up late by other guests unless you are happy to go out into the corridors late at night trying to negotiate some peace & quiet.

7  Thank Martin S
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Had a fabulous time at the Brown Horse Inn. Spent 2 nights here on 1st and 2nd May. Rooms are lovely and a great power shower. Fabulous breakfast and very friendly staff. Will definitely return. NOTE: Hendrix the pot bellied pig is partial to your left over breakfast. NO meat though.

Room Tip: The outside rooms have a lovely view of the garden area with their own patio.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends