“A Comfortable and Luxurious Base for Exploring San Juan”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Laurel, Maryland
“A Comfortable and Luxurious Base for Exploring San Juan”
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Although I'd be unlikely to stay at the RC for more than a couple of days because the "resort" experience is not quite for me, I've often stayed here before or after longer trips to other destinations within Puerto Rico or the Caribbean beyond. For my purposes, the RC is perfect. It offers a perfect transition to island time, or back to cold reality.

Over the years, I've noticed that the level of service has improved and that the staff are more friendly and helpful than in past visits. The addition of champagne at reception seems to set the tone. The beds and rooms are just as plush and attractive as they have been, and it seems a re-decoration to a more modern look is in progress. The public areas are very attractive and well-appointed, but since it seemed that we were here during spring break, the pool and beach areas seemed more crowded than usual.

Despite the hefty resort fee (and the resort amenities we never used), we'll continue to consider the RC-San Juan our go-to hotel when staying in San Juan.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Turkish first
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Great rooms, as you can expect from a Ritz Carlton, the food at the restaurants were a bit disappointing, the only exemption was the BLT.

1 Thank Fernando E
Reviewed 19 March 2011

Beautiful place, luxurious hotel, wonderful service, consistently amazing . Never want to leave when I stay at a Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Being that it's a resort property I would think the rooms would have balconies or even windows that you can open to enjoy the fresh air, but the windows do not open. The property has a beautiful entrance, lobby, clean rooms...housekeeping service was amazing!

I don't know if it's because I have high expectations or if the service was really as poor as it I think it is.

A day before my Birthday my friend & I were over at the property's beach when the hotel beach concierge approached us for small talk. My friend had mentioned to him that we were there to enjoy our time as well as to celebrate my birthday the following day. It appeared that the concierge made a note of it, even asked for my name & wrote it down. The following day there wasn't even a Birthday card in my room, nothing. Later on the day both my friend & I approached the concierge desk to make dinner reservations for the evening, asking them for a suggestion & also informing them that it's to celebrate my Birthday....they recommended a beautiful Italian restaurant with the best service & cosine I've experienced during my trip but they failed to inform the restaurant of the special occasion.

The following evening I approached the front desk for concierge advise (since concierge was gone for the evening & f/d played the part of front desk & concierge) but it appeared that the front desk personnel didn't have any basic concierge knowledge. The agent couldn't provide with any recommendations. Being that it's a 4 or 5 star hotel, all of the above should have been handled better.

Towards the end of my stay one of the front desk agents asked me if I was enjoying my stay with them which gave me the opportunity to express how I really felt. I informed her that I particularly took this trip & chose their hotel to have a perfect Birthday, but instead, it was overlooked even after several reminders. I have to say, it's one of the worst Birthday celebrations I've had in a long time. It took less then an hour for this kind front desk agent (woman) to organize their management team to personally deliver a Birthday cake along with balloons to my room. I was impressed. The problem wasn't entirely corrected, but it did make me feel acknowledged.

Having to lay out by the pool side I expected to be pampered, but the only amenity they offered was water w/ice. Any other 5 star hotels I've ever stayed at offered cold towels, complimentary fruit, etc....but no, not this one.

Some of the staff were nice but not entirely, it's like they were nice because they had to be....didn't seem genuine.

At check out I spoke with of the managers (male) who was very pleasant. I expressed my expectations & frustrations during my stay. He was very polite & professional.

All in all, I think that this property is beautiful & has a great potential to be more then what it really is if the employees were more detail oriented, knowledgeable & genuine.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
El Dorado Hlls, CA
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I must say first, that the service from everyone at this hotel is excellent. From the bellman to the people checking us in, and the women cleaning the rooms...excellent. I was always greeted by every employee when I passed them in the halls or lobby areas. My room was nice, however, it was a disappointment that the windows would not open, and the walls are a bit thin. There were times that I could hear the people talking in the next room. All in all, it was a pleasant experience. It would certainly be nice for all the rooms to have balconies to be able to really appreciate the paradise of the surroundings.

1 Thank QuietTraveler2
Minneapolis
Reviewed 15 March 2011

Coming from Minnesota, I was looking foreard to a beach front experiance. I was shocked to check into a room with no doors or windows that opened. I guess I expected that every room would have doors and a balcony to enjoy the surf and sounds of the ocean, When I asked about another room they told me they would put me on a waiting list, but I never heard from the hotel. I would have traded modest luxury for the Marriott Courtyard down the beach where every room had a balcony.

The pool and Beach area were nice. I spent all my free time on the beach. Service was OK, Sunday was very busy with the locals skipping into the hotel to use the bathroom all afternoon.

The staff was very nice! In fact everyone in PR was nice!

The hotel needs to be opened up. They are planning a renovoation, I hope they open the lobby and the rooms to the wonderful grounds! The rooms are tired and need help. Some of them are musty.

Overall about a 4!

If you want Luxury beach front its the new W! The St. Regis is brand new too, but I am not sure its beach front.

1 Thank TShip
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 15 March 2011

This hotel had all the bells and whistles BUT...the rooms were SO small. There were 4 of us trying to get a good nights rest and the beds are very uncomfortable and SMALL! We stayed for 9 days and I could not wait to leave because of how small the room was. The pool, tennis court, spa area, casino are all very nice but I expected them all to be a little nicer for the price you have to pay. Plus there is the daily "extra-extra" fee on top of the room rate for the service (which was good but not fabulous). The hotel would be perfect for my husband and I to travel alone without the family. You can walk to night spots, great places to eat.

I would say it is not a place for kids. The guests can be a bit stuffy. My daughter dove into the pool and a man reamed her out for spashing. Go figure, splashing at a pool.....that made me very mad! You don't want to get wet then don't sit at the rim of the pool!! UGH.

We won't go back. Oh yes, I almost forgot..it is very close to the airport. You hear airplanes ALL the time.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
#20 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!