“Nice Hotel; Expectations for Service Not Consistently Met”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan from April 9 to 13th. While the hotel property is beautiful and we enjoyed our time there, the inconsistency in the level of service was surprising considering the price point.

Rooms – We booked an oceanfront balcony room. What we didn’t know when we booked the room was that the quoted size of the oceanfront balcony room - 400 square feet - includes the balcony. The actual interior of the room is something less than 400 square feet, very small. Luckily, we were able to upgrade to a much more comfortable junior suite. The people at the front desk were helpful in accommodating this change.

The Beach and pool – The beach and pool areas were lovely and nicely maintained. Because it was spring break, both the beach and the pool areas were crowded. (I was surprised at how many people were traveling with their young children – I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say there were more guests traveling with their young children than there were couples.) The Courtyard by Marriott was further down the same beach – it appeared to be less crowded. I don’t know what the rooms (it did look like they were renovating areas of the hotel) were like at the Courtyard, but for those who just care about the beach, the Courtyard could certainly be a better deal.

Food – We had the breakfast buffet each day at the hotel. The buffet was good; we particularly enjoyed the omelet maker – a person who seemed to take great pleasure in his job and in his life. The food at the Ocean Bar and Grill was also good, although the service was quite slow. As other reviewers have noted, all of the restaurants on the property are overpriced.

The Lobby Lounge served one of the best mojitos that I’ve ever had, unfortunately, the service in the lounge was particularly slow. One night we waited 15 minutes for someone to take our order. I wouldn’t expect to wait that long for service at any hotel lounge, and certainly not at a Ritz Carlton.

While the service at the lobby lounge was notably bad, there were many who provided notably good service. The concierge was very helpful and attentive. The people at the front desk and certain bellmen were also very pleasant and attentive.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for best views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is my second stay at the Ritz Carlton in San Juan, and it is a wonderful location! The staff is very friendly and the rooms and facilities are excellent! The price is very expensive but the hotel is very clean and the service is outstanding. It is located right on the beach and is within walking distance from several other resorts, restaurants, etc. The pool area and beach are also very nice!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Aaron F
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Had a wonderful stay here third week in April, this is my second trip to this property. First let me mention that the reservation 1800 number for the ritz is the worst ever, they should be ashamed. I had a problem with my reservations both times when I booked my trip. I made my reservations months ahead of time and when I checked in to the hotel my room was nothing as to what I had booked, I reserved a club level room and both times the hotel stated upon check in that this was a regular room, but charging me club level room prices. At the end of the day I spoke to management and they accommodated my needs. So besides of the horrible booking system and that the hotel needs to be renovated this place is awesome with the best service ever.

The rooms are newly renovated but are very small, the smallest I have seen. We upgraded to a suite because of the size of the rooms. Everything in the room was clean and bed and linens were comfortable . We stayed on the club level floor which is way worth the extra money only because, if you order room service like breakfast, lunch or even go to eat something at a restaurant in the hotel it will cost you a fortune.

The restaurants were my favorite in the hotel, we even ate out in town and I felt the ritz had the best. My favorite was IL MILINO , yes it is pricey but the service and food is amazing , well worth it. We ate there three times thats how much we enjoyed the food, I know there is some negative reviews about this restaurant, don't listen to them, this place by far is the best. We also tried BLT which was also great, the food was very rich but was delicious, and yes this was another pricey one but well worth it. People have to realize that these are five star restaurants so of course the prices are going to be a bit high, you are paying for service and quality of food.Also to mention one day we had lunch at the pool/beach area restaurant which is outside and I have to say the only thing that was good were the french fries, not only was the food expensive but it was the worst I do not know how they can serve this quality type of food and charge these type of prices.

The only reason this place is lacking a star is because the interior of the hotel not including the rooms, needs to be renovated . The lobby is old shabby looking not impressing, the club level lounge is rusty and old looking, the chairs have stains on them and the fabric is worn out looking, the doors look like they are going to fall apart, the elevators are all scratched up and dirty looking, the spa is great but it looks like it belongs in a 1980 movie.If this place had a interior renovation I would give it the full five stars, because the service is just simply amazing and the staff is very courteous and professional, also to mention what ever problem I had with this property or my stay I just mentioned it to the staff and it was resolved. Awesome service!

The pool is nice but to many kids everywhere, which is ok but if you are looking to relax head to the beach. The beach was great, the sand is a honey color, it is not a floury white, the water was really clear but not crystal blue, it was more on the greenish side but still nice. Some days the water was clearer than other days because of the storms, but the beach was my favorite and not overcrowded.

The casino was very bad to us, first of all we are slot players and the machines did not pay, so if you are a slot player save your money because this casino was the worst, also to mention this casino comps nothing, no rooms or food comps.

Overall I had a great stay, I would for sure come back, hopefully by then the hotel will be fully renovated.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can and ask for a pool or ocean view, also club level is well worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank beachLover8484
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Excellent costumer service. Excellent bed and pillows. Very clean.

Room Tip: Rooms on the seventh floor very good. Room service very good. House cleaning excellent.Front desk ex...
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Spent Easter week at the Ritz a total of 9 of us. starting from the airport. the ride to the Ritz was less than 10 min. 24.00 plus a dollar per bag. we arrived after 5 so our room was ready. I requested an ocean view with balcony. 617 had a big palm tree in front but if u looked to the left you could see the ocean. traveled with 4 adults and 5 kids. the kids loved the pool. you definitely have to get up early to secure your chairs. the workers there will help you with towels and set up. my sister inlaw rented a cabana for 200 a day I think. This came in handy on the days that it rained. They give you extra towels an ice bucket and try to cater to your needs. Drinks are
Iike 14.00 for a mojito incredible price I know but it is the ritz. I will recommend going to the walgreens down the road to get beer and liquor to make ur own drinks. my husband and I took the kids for breakfast to Mares. It was a buffet for 2 and they had a pancake. 78.00 after 2 days I went down the block to pui bello for breakfast sandwiches which were delicious for 20.00. We had Easter dinner at BLT food was good but of course expensive. we ate 1 night at Ruth Chris steakhouse. Also expensive but good food. we tried Alfredos in the intercontinental Hotel but the food was not very good. I asked to be moved from a table near the kitchen and when my food came it tasted like they poured a whole salt shaker on it. My husband complained and they took it off the bill. we ventured into town 20.00 for a taxi ride. It varied sometimes they said 19 some times 21. I would suggest shopping around through the stores because the prices of things changed. We ate at the parrot club in town. Great empanadas. They warn you to b careful at night. Just use common sense. The beach was fantastic and you did hear plans but not enough to ruin a vacation Over all The rooms were nice and always cleaned. They need to have more music playing by the pool it was very quiet but we bought our jam box with iPad and played some music. This hotel is more suited for couples as there were not a lot of kid activities but my kids were busy in the pool. I did ship down snacks because things are expensive. The fish tacos by the pool were fantastic. I forgot when going to your rooms you need to have your room key for the elevator because it will only stop on your floor . Had a great time but would only stay here again if the rooms were discounted at a great rate.

Room Tip: Oceanfront 5 or 6th floor with a balcony, junior suites are very nice and the garden suites look won...
2  Thank sydryamom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is our 3rd time at this ritz left from jfk on a 6am flight was on the beach drinking by 10 am. Check in was great greeted with champagne, got our room right away room was small but efficient did not hear the airplanes 1 time.The breakfast buffet was awesome The only downside of the whole trip lunch at obg was awful so we went out for lunch evryday. Dinners were awesome BLT, il mulino, and la piccolo at the EL SAN juan costly but you get what you pay for awesome. casino friendly and nice, There were alot of kids there pool packed with them beach not so much. At the beach Jean louis was awesome had our chairs ready for us everyday with umbrella. The weather was great, staff first class cant compar the beach to aruba or stmarteen or turks but no customs and great for a long weekend getaway to be treated like royalty, Will definently return

Room Tip: dont waste extra money on upgraded room its a resort get out of the room spend the money on a better...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karen B
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The pool and beach are both great. It was april vacation - so crowded - but we always managed to get a beach chair when we needed it - the people on the grounds were all very helpful. Food and drink is expensive - but good. Both il Mulino and BLT Steak are great dinner spots - but pricey. Other than that you need to grab a cab or brave the walk near the airport.

we went with our 4, 6 and 7 year old. they loved the pool and the beach. the ritz kids has nice people but didn't do much but color and watch tv. not worth the price you pay - more like daycare.

overall - great place, especially if you are looking for an easy place to get to. less than 5 mins from the airport to the hotel.

Room Tip: don't stay on the 3rd floor - it is also the convention / meeting rooms level
1  Thank scfitzg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!