“Saved the Weekend”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Saved the Weekend”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

After storming out of the Caribe Hilton completely dissatisfied we arrived at The Ritz hoping to salvage the remainder of our long weekend celebrating our 25th anniversary. There are not enough words to describe how the Ritz exceeded all of our expectations. From the Bell Captain to the front desk staff to the cleaning people, we were made to feel that they were glad that we were staying there. The hotel (and our room) were immaculate. The restaurants on the premises were excellent. The pool and beach were clean and the premises was beautiful. If you are planning a trip to PR, do yourself a favor, avoid the same mistake we made, go the Ritz.

2 Thank Scott T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, PA
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Beautiful grounds, pool, and beach. Hotel was fully booked , so I had to wait to checkin and then the next day went to my room at 5pm and it still was not done. Housekeeping was very good, turn down service was a pleasure. Slow poolside service for drinks and food. Both bery pricey, no happy hours, how sad. Good location, walking distancte to other hotels in the area and found some neighborhood places for breakfast, quite reasonable and good. Restaurants were pricey. Food service was slow. Had dessert inthe steak house and it was burnt, however the waitress talked to the manager and the check was free. I don't think the prices were worth the stay. First time at a Ritz and was not impressed. I guess I expect more from a Ritz

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. As others have said, it's not as nice as other Ritz-Carltons, nor is it in the same caliber as a St. Regis. It's really like a fancy Marriott or Westin with a few little extras thrown in. However, don't let that dissuade you. We had a fantastic visit and would return, largely due to the amazing staff.

The resort is in Isla Verde on the beach and is within walking distance of several restaurants and a short cab ride away from Old San Juan. The first floor holds the beautiful lobby, a small casino, some shops (including Tiffany), and restaurants including BLT Steak and Il Mulino.

Rooms: Rooms are nice and recently renovated. Housekeeping was great, including nightly turn-down. The bed was very comfortable. However, there were a few oddities -- the rooms are fairly small, and most lack balconies. Since the windows don't open, it is really hard to get wet clothes and bathing suits dry. We ended up lining them up along the window, as they would not dry in the bathroom. There are plenty of toiletries but no slippers. There's a stocked mini-fridge, and even though they claim sensors will determine if anything is moved and your room will get billed automatically, we put leftovers in the fridge and weren't charged for moving things around. The power went out once while we were there, and it came back on within 30 minutes. If you do opt for a balcony, they are small. We had a "city view" room but still had a nice view of the ocean from the 8th floor.

Pool/Beach: The pool is clean and large. There are rafts and a hot tub. The guys at the towel hut were sooo friendly and really personable. Unlike most hotels, they will assist you in putting the towel on the chair, and the guys at the beach will set up chairs and umbrellas for you. They are hard workers and I'm sure appreciate tips. There is plenty of bottled and orange-scented water at the pool and beach. They also handed out mixed nuts one day. The beach is clean and pretty. It's next to some other condos/hotels, but it was always quiet. The water is blue, but it's hard to see anything in it. The surf can be pretty strong. The beach and water itself were nicer than the one at the St. Regis.

Casino: A few table games, but mostly penny slots. It wasn't too exciting, though there was as live band one night.

Restaurants: We actually didn't eat at any of the restaurants because we wanted to experience more local food. However, I regret not eating at Il Mulino, where they had a three-course menu for $43 from 6-7 p.m., and half price wine by the bottle.

Activities: There are two tennis courts, and use of tennis racquets is free. The spa and gym were being remodeled while we were there.

Staff: Everyone was so friendly and seemed so genuine, and this is what impressed me the most. They remembered names, were eager to offer food/sightseeing recommendations, etc. While there, I had an injury and death in the family. Venus, the front desk supervisor, was quick to accommodate a late check-out to help us on our last day and gave me a big hug. I really appreciated her service! And the security supervisor helped me immensely in the business center.

For the price we paid, I think it was a great value in a good location, and we would return!

Room Tip: Even with a city view room, on a higher-level floor you may still be able to see the ocean.
2 Thank Nanci_Dru
Rosenberg, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2012

From the moment we stepped out of the taxi nothing but good service. The room was beautiful but not as grand as I expected. Once I laid in the bed I couldn't make myself get up. The grounds are breathtaking and the private beach and pool well you just have to experience it for yourself

Room Tip: try to choose room with oceanview
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I think that this hotel is very nice, it is what I would think a Ritz should be. However, this being said I think that for the price that you pay for this experience they should provide some other amenities such as: a refrigerator and microwave. I personally have a diabetic wife and should have snacks but you can't use the fridge in the room, if you do you have to pay for it. When I said something to the guy at the front desk all he said was "yes, sir I can have one sent up if there is one available." never heard about it again. Other than this I think that it is ok and if you go here expect to pay for everything which is fine but 14 dollars for a drink?! or from 20-40 dollars for one persons breakfast?! But, I digress it is a nice hotel but not great.

2 Thank texman b
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My review is low because while the hotel is fine it's certainly not as nice as other Ritz's I've stayed at. The best part of the hotel is the pool and beach area which is very nice. The rooms are standard. Staff is nice and accommodating. If the hotel did a little updating it might have a shot competing with other Ritz hotels. Yesterday, we moved the 2nd highest rated hotel in San Juan and are now missing the RItz...it's MUCH better than where we moved it.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank agw7777
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I stayed her July 4-8, 2012 with myn family. It is a great hotel. I was a little nervous considering all the reviews I read were not that great. But the hotel is not old and dirty. It is very clean and the rooms are nice. It is a quiet place to stay. I wish they had more activities on-site (perhaps a night club or lounge). There is a lobby lounge but I wanted something a little more upbeat. I was surpised to see a ton of children, but they were never in the way. I spent more time at the beach then at the pool. I would suggest this hotel to anyone who is staying in PR

Room Tip: I would suggest upgrading to club level. As you get meals and cocktails in the price you pay.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#5 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,586 reviews

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!