“Perfect Resort.”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this resort. It was an amazing experience.
The staff is so welcoming and friendly in every area of the property...valet, front desk, housekeeping, lobby lounge, casino, pool, beach, and restaurants.
We enjoyed every aspect of this resort, but most specifically the bartenders at the lobby lounge (Orlando and Roberto) are very impressive and will create a cocktail unique to your desire. BLT serves up delicious fare, but Peter and Suki are worth mentioning...best service!
Some others have commented that this resort isn't up to Ritz standards, but I would have to disagree; we have traveled to many Ritz Carltons and this one is as great as the rest.
We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We selected just a city view room which I think is bottom tier, but it was AMAZING. The veiw wasn...
3  Thank DW2010_10

Reviewed 4 October 2012

My family and I traveled to the Ritz from September 22nd-26th, 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. In fact, every day something would make us say "the extra money we spent to stay here was well worth it!" We traveled with our 12-month old daughter, and wanted to find a place that had local shops/restaurants within walking distance, beachfront, a nice pool, entertainment, etc. We knew we would be spending more time in the hotel enjoying the amenities with the little one, unlike our usual trips in which we are spending most of our time out of the hotel exploring. This was the perfect choice, and very kid friendly. We were able to walk to several local restaurants and enjoy Puerto Rican cuisine. Our daughter didn't care much for the sand/beach, but she spent hours in the pool. often times we were the only people in the pool, which was nice, we had it all to ourselves. Traveling with a baby, my husband and I knew there would be little time for entertainment. However, my husband had an opportunity to play some water volleyball with other hotel guests, and I was in the pool with my daughter and she floated around in her raft. When she went back to the room for a nap with my husband, it was my turn to hit the casino's. I had the most luck at the casino in this hotel than at any casino I've been to in my life. Won about $450 at the blackjack table, and free drinks are a nice bonus It's open 24 hours, and the locals play there too, it was nice to mingle. The stores in the hotel were extremely expensive, but it was fun to window shop. Plenty of water bottles and drinks awaited guests in the front lobby. One thing I appreciated is that they didn't charge for the extras (water bottles, crib, internet usage, etc.). The beach was nice and quiet. We left the resort one day to do a day trip to Old San Juan and the Bacardi Factory, it was a short cab ride, hassle free. There is a Walgreen's right next to the place, so it was nice to have the security of a pharmacy with a baby. The people there were so helpful, everyone greeted you, often by name. If we were ever to return to San Juan, without a doubt we'll be staying at the Ritz. This was my first time staying at a Ritz property, and we were very happy guests. We ate at the hotel's restaurant one day and did the breakfast buffet, well worth the money. I would also recommend Mulino, but they could work on their friendliness. Considering the amount of money we were paying to eat there, I would expect them to at least smile. The food there was great, we did the $43 Sunset 3-course menu, definitely worth it! If I had any suggestions to offer, it would be for the staff at that restaurant to be given the same customer service training as the Ritz Carlton staff. We had a city view room, but had a nice view of the ocean. Check-in was hassle free. Appreciated the turn down service nightly. If you can afford it, definitely go there! We got it for a great deal ($160/night) and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a similar rate!

Room Tip: We had a city view room and still had a nice corner view of the ocean without having to pay an upcha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Desichick82
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed here for 9 nights at the end of July, and had a wonderful vacation.

We traveled as two families of four, and loved every minute of our time here. The beach was fantastic and the pool area perfect.

We chose to use the Club level amenities and were well looked after by all the staff. Special mentions to Andrew and Luiz who provided exceptional service.

We found the club value excellent value and made the most of breakfast,lunch, and after dinner drinks. Would highly recommend this option.

Room Tip: Club level middle room sea facing
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LesAlanos
Reviewed 2 October 2012

After storming out of the Caribe Hilton completely dissatisfied we arrived at The Ritz hoping to salvage the remainder of our long weekend celebrating our 25th anniversary. There are not enough words to describe how the Ritz exceeded all of our expectations. From the Bell Captain to the front desk staff to the cleaning people, we were made to feel that they were glad that we were staying there. The hotel (and our room) were immaculate. The restaurants on the premises were excellent. The pool and beach were clean and the premises was beautiful. If you are planning a trip to PR, do yourself a favor, avoid the same mistake we made, go the Ritz.

2  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Beautiful grounds, pool, and beach. Hotel was fully booked , so I had to wait to checkin and then the next day went to my room at 5pm and it still was not done. Housekeeping was very good, turn down service was a pleasure. Slow poolside service for drinks and food. Both bery pricey, no happy hours, how sad. Good location, walking distancte to other hotels in the area and found some neighborhood places for breakfast, quite reasonable and good. Restaurants were pricey. Food service was slow. Had dessert inthe steak house and it was burnt, however the waitress talked to the manager and the check was free. I don't think the prices were worth the stay. First time at a Ritz and was not impressed. I guess I expect more from a Ritz

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for four nights. As others have said, it's not as nice as other Ritz-Carltons, nor is it in the same caliber as a St. Regis. It's really like a fancy Marriott or Westin with a few little extras thrown in. However, don't let that dissuade you. We had a fantastic visit and would return, largely due to the amazing staff.

The resort is in Isla Verde on the beach and is within walking distance of several restaurants and a short cab ride away from Old San Juan. The first floor holds the beautiful lobby, a small casino, some shops (including Tiffany), and restaurants including BLT Steak and Il Mulino.

Rooms: Rooms are nice and recently renovated. Housekeeping was great, including nightly turn-down. The bed was very comfortable. However, there were a few oddities -- the rooms are fairly small, and most lack balconies. Since the windows don't open, it is really hard to get wet clothes and bathing suits dry. We ended up lining them up along the window, as they would not dry in the bathroom. There are plenty of toiletries but no slippers. There's a stocked mini-fridge, and even though they claim sensors will determine if anything is moved and your room will get billed automatically, we put leftovers in the fridge and weren't charged for moving things around. The power went out once while we were there, and it came back on within 30 minutes. If you do opt for a balcony, they are small. We had a "city view" room but still had a nice view of the ocean from the 8th floor.

Pool/Beach: The pool is clean and large. There are rafts and a hot tub. The guys at the towel hut were sooo friendly and really personable. Unlike most hotels, they will assist you in putting the towel on the chair, and the guys at the beach will set up chairs and umbrellas for you. They are hard workers and I'm sure appreciate tips. There is plenty of bottled and orange-scented water at the pool and beach. They also handed out mixed nuts one day. The beach is clean and pretty. It's next to some other condos/hotels, but it was always quiet. The water is blue, but it's hard to see anything in it. The surf can be pretty strong. The beach and water itself were nicer than the one at the St. Regis.

Casino: A few table games, but mostly penny slots. It wasn't too exciting, though there was as live band one night.

Restaurants: We actually didn't eat at any of the restaurants because we wanted to experience more local food. However, I regret not eating at Il Mulino, where they had a three-course menu for $43 from 6-7 p.m., and half price wine by the bottle.

Activities: There are two tennis courts, and use of tennis racquets is free. The spa and gym were being remodeled while we were there.

Staff: Everyone was so friendly and seemed so genuine, and this is what impressed me the most. They remembered names, were eager to offer food/sightseeing recommendations, etc. While there, I had an injury and death in the family. Venus, the front desk supervisor, was quick to accommodate a late check-out to help us on our last day and gave me a big hug. I really appreciated her service! And the security supervisor helped me immensely in the business center.

For the price we paid, I think it was a great value in a good location, and we would return!

Room Tip: Even with a city view room, on a higher-level floor you may still be able to see the ocean.
2  Thank Nanci_Dru
Reviewed 30 September 2012

From the moment we stepped out of the taxi nothing but good service. The room was beautiful but not as grand as I expected. Once I laid in the bed I couldn't make myself get up. The grounds are breathtaking and the private beach and pool well you just have to experience it for yourself

Room Tip: try to choose room with oceanview
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!