“Awesome time”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 9 October 2012

I stayed at the Ritz 10-4-2012 to 10-14-2012 and I must say I had an AWESOME time. When checking in I let the clerk know that it was my best friends Birthday and the next thing we knew we were receiving Champagneright there during check in. The staff was very helpful and the grounds were emaculant. Yes you do pay a bit more for food and drinks at the Ritz but hey it's the Ritz.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 October 2012

My family and I stayed here with friends for 8 nights and had a fabulous time. Kids range in age from 5-15. The property is beautiful, and the rooms are nice as well. We just had a standard room but it was very nice. Clean, updated, good size, very nice - looks just like the website. Right on the beach, and we loved going back and forth from the hotel to the pool. Service on the beach was good - no need to try to find chairs, they take care of everything for you. The pool was wonderful as well - very warm. We stayed in the water for hours, and did several night swims. The location was central - we were able to get to Old San Juan and other attractions easily. We rented a car and I'm so glad we did. It's not a walking place and you really want to get out and explore. Overall service at the hotel was incredible. We got the feeling that we could request anything and they would take care of it for you. At breakfast a couple mornings we asked for items not on the buffet, and they quickly went to the back to make them. Now of course all of this comes with the Ritz price but we got a good deal and we would stay there again without a doubt. We ate at Il Mulino one night for a birthday and the food was very good. It was pricey and a little slow but all meals in Puerto Rico are slow so we had begun to get used to it. Overall, we absolutely loved this place. I can't recommend this place enough.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank JandJMommy
Reviewed 5 October 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this resort. It was an amazing experience.
The staff is so welcoming and friendly in every area of the property...valet, front desk, housekeeping, lobby lounge, casino, pool, beach, and restaurants.
We enjoyed every aspect of this resort, but most specifically the bartenders at the lobby lounge (Orlando and Roberto) are very impressive and will create a cocktail unique to your desire. BLT serves up delicious fare, but Peter and Suki are worth mentioning...best service!
Some others have commented that this resort isn't up to Ritz standards, but I would have to disagree; we have traveled to many Ritz Carltons and this one is as great as the rest.
We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: We selected just a city view room which I think is bottom tier, but it was AMAZING. The veiw wasn...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DW2010_10
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My family and I traveled to the Ritz from September 22nd-26th, 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. In fact, every day something would make us say "the extra money we spent to stay here was well worth it!" We traveled with our 12-month old daughter, and wanted to find a place that had local shops/restaurants within walking distance, beachfront, a nice pool, entertainment, etc. We knew we would be spending more time in the hotel enjoying the amenities with the little one, unlike our usual trips in which we are spending most of our time out of the hotel exploring. This was the perfect choice, and very kid friendly. We were able to walk to several local restaurants and enjoy Puerto Rican cuisine. Our daughter didn't care much for the sand/beach, but she spent hours in the pool. often times we were the only people in the pool, which was nice, we had it all to ourselves. Traveling with a baby, my husband and I knew there would be little time for entertainment. However, my husband had an opportunity to play some water volleyball with other hotel guests, and I was in the pool with my daughter and she floated around in her raft. When she went back to the room for a nap with my husband, it was my turn to hit the casino's. I had the most luck at the casino in this hotel than at any casino I've been to in my life. Won about $450 at the blackjack table, and free drinks are a nice bonus It's open 24 hours, and the locals play there too, it was nice to mingle. The stores in the hotel were extremely expensive, but it was fun to window shop. Plenty of water bottles and drinks awaited guests in the front lobby. One thing I appreciated is that they didn't charge for the extras (water bottles, crib, internet usage, etc.). The beach was nice and quiet. We left the resort one day to do a day trip to Old San Juan and the Bacardi Factory, it was a short cab ride, hassle free. There is a Walgreen's right next to the place, so it was nice to have the security of a pharmacy with a baby. The people there were so helpful, everyone greeted you, often by name. If we were ever to return to San Juan, without a doubt we'll be staying at the Ritz. This was my first time staying at a Ritz property, and we were very happy guests. We ate at the hotel's restaurant one day and did the breakfast buffet, well worth the money. I would also recommend Mulino, but they could work on their friendliness. Considering the amount of money we were paying to eat there, I would expect them to at least smile. The food there was great, we did the $43 Sunset 3-course menu, definitely worth it! If I had any suggestions to offer, it would be for the staff at that restaurant to be given the same customer service training as the Ritz Carlton staff. We had a city view room, but had a nice view of the ocean. Check-in was hassle free. Appreciated the turn down service nightly. If you can afford it, definitely go there! We got it for a great deal ($160/night) and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again for a similar rate!

Room Tip: We had a city view room and still had a nice corner view of the ocean without having to pay an upcha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Desichick82
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Stayed here for 9 nights at the end of July, and had a wonderful vacation.

We traveled as two families of four, and loved every minute of our time here. The beach was fantastic and the pool area perfect.

We chose to use the Club level amenities and were well looked after by all the staff. Special mentions to Andrew and Luiz who provided exceptional service.

We found the club value excellent value and made the most of breakfast,lunch, and after dinner drinks. Would highly recommend this option.

Room Tip: Club level middle room sea facing
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LesAlanos
Reviewed 2 October 2012

After storming out of the Caribe Hilton completely dissatisfied we arrived at The Ritz hoping to salvage the remainder of our long weekend celebrating our 25th anniversary. There are not enough words to describe how the Ritz exceeded all of our expectations. From the Bell Captain to the front desk staff to the cleaning people, we were made to feel that they were glad that we were staying there. The hotel (and our room) were immaculate. The restaurants on the premises were excellent. The pool and beach were clean and the premises was beautiful. If you are planning a trip to PR, do yourself a favor, avoid the same mistake we made, go the Ritz.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Beautiful grounds, pool, and beach. Hotel was fully booked , so I had to wait to checkin and then the next day went to my room at 5pm and it still was not done. Housekeeping was very good, turn down service was a pleasure. Slow poolside service for drinks and food. Both bery pricey, no happy hours, how sad. Good location, walking distancte to other hotels in the area and found some neighborhood places for breakfast, quite reasonable and good. Restaurants were pricey. Food service was slow. Had dessert inthe steak house and it was burnt, however the waitress talked to the manager and the check was free. I don't think the prices were worth the stay. First time at a Ritz and was not impressed. I guess I expect more from a Ritz

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!