“Great honeymoon..average stay.”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great honeymoon..average stay.”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

6mths ago we celebrated our honeymoon, which PR is a beautiful and friendly location to visit. We've stayed at their other locations in the past (Charlotte, Atl, Amelia Island), and obviously wanted to stay here. Real easy to find, great spot on the beach front and obviously Ritz has great poolside food. The pool staff was excellent, probably the best I've experienced..that said, there are some things that needs to be worked on. As we're checking in, granted the staff was pleasant, but overwhelmed by everyone else checking in. As we're checking in, we were told there would be $150 hold on our CC per night!?!? I've seen holds before, but not for 1100 bucks worth. It was handled and we "compromised" on 500. Being our honeymoon, I hate to say we expected something (because we didn't), but we only do this once, so I was hoping for a perk. Probably my mistake, but they said congrats and told us they would be sending champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room. Never received any of it. Please don't promise people those perks unless you follow up on them. Again, it wasn't expected, just easily forgotten. The little things are what's important, and I feel the front desk staff didn't do the small things from what I've experienced at other Ritz Carlton's.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (708)
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 November 2013

For those guests that like to stay at a higher-end resort will certainly enjoy themeselves here. The rooms are nice (although make sure to book a water-view room) and you have the casino, a nice pool and a beach. Location is great if you like being downtown. The newly renovated spa is a big plus. The lobby bar is a good gathering place before dinner but I think the restaurants are just average. Bottom line is that you won't be disappointed but you probably won't be wowed either.

Room Tip: If looking out your window is important do not book a city-view as the rooftop is not very attractiv...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike F
Canton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

WOW, our trip could not have been better. From the moment we stepped foot on the Ritz Carlton property until we left five days later every aspect of our stay was phenomenal. Front desk Supervisor Johanna could not have been more receptive to our requests at check in.. She made sure we were extremely pleased with our accommodations and we were. My husband and I along with our Best friends were celebrating anniversaries, our 30th and their 29th. Every staff member was made aware of our anniversaries and made sure to acknowledge our anniversaries in a variety of ways. Diana, Susanell and Jeremy in the dining room along with many others provided us with impeccable service. Carlos at the Front door was wonderful and our rooms were cleaned and stocked perfectly. The hotel is gorgeous and the grounds perfectly groomed and the staff at the pool and beach namely Elliott, Juan and Jose were so helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. You will never be disappointed staying here. We did not want to leave, but know we will go back again and again. We would give this hotel a rating of 100% perfection!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony and ocean view really enhance your trip because early mornings and late evening...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here from November 4 -9, 2013. We have been to San Juan before, but had never stayed at the Ritz. The hotel was great and the location by the airport was very convenient and not a noise issue (we only heard a plane take off once.). My wife and I don't normally go to casinos, but actually had a pleasant time one evening going to the Ritz casino which is very relaxed and low-key.

We ate at Il Mulino and BLT Steak at the hotel. We live in NYC and were hesitant at first to eat at these restaurants thinking we might be disappointed since they were in San Juan, but we weren't disappointed. The food at both restaurants was great. Outside of the hotel we also ate at Marmalade and Jose Enrique which appear to be a couple of the most talked-about restaurants in San Juan. Both were very good. Marmalade was a bit pricey and "trying too hard" atmosphere for what it was, but I probably had the best fish I've ever had at Jose Enrique.

The minor complaints about the hotel are not deal breakers, but include:1) food and drinks are a bit over-priced, but typical for the Carribean (overall hotel food was a little above average compared to other Carribean destinations I've been to); 2) Poolside service was inconsistent and overall lacking. Staff would hardly ever come by to see if we needed more food or drinks; 3) There is one pool for the hotel which seems undersized for the amount of guests using it, and there are A LOT of kids. So if you want an adults only vacation with no kids around, this hotel would not be for you.

Overall, I would go to the Ritz again. The staff were very friendly and customer service was great. Compared to other Ritz Carlton's I've been to, it is not the most impressive, but it is a good choice if you are staying in San Juan.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I just called this hotel to leave my credit card to pay for a gift certificate for a friend staying at the Ritz Carlton San Juan to celebrate her birthday. I thought maybe she might like to purchase a spa treatment, an extra bottle of wine or some cocktails on the beach. I got bounced around a few times, but for the most part I just listened while it rang and no one picked up the line. After close to 10 minutes, I gave up. I guess I will give her a gift certificate to a local spa or restaurant for when she returns. It would have been a fun surprise. I'm not sure what happened, I guess they didn't want my money.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I didn't pick the Ritz, but I tagged along on hubby's business trip. The hotel is fine. The amenities I saw were very nice. The room was average. Tired looking. The bed was truly cozy, but the decor and furniture needed an update.

The beach outside the Ritz is FANTASTIC. Honestly the best vacation beach I've ever been on. Soft, soft sand. Warm water. Lots of attentive staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Stacy823
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

This is a very nice hotel with a great beach location. The room are average size. The pools and beach are very nice. The fitness center is a nice size with a good choice of equipment. I was there for a conference and found the food and service to be excellent. There is a BLT steakhouse in the hotel that is excellent and one of my favorite restaurants. It is about a 20 minute drive to Old San Juan.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
#20 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!