“Wow, be ready to be spoiled. Not for the party crowd.”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
British Columbia
“Wow, be ready to be spoiled. Not for the party crowd.”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This hotel is not for a young family or partying singles. This is a quiet, business-like ambience hotel with all the amenities.

The services is excellent with turn-down service, and you never need to touch your bags or lift a finger. Everyone is super helpful and friendly.

Expensive to eat here, but the food is great.

The lounge at night is very subdued and everyone is dressed to the nines. You would feel uncomfortable in jeans, or a t-shirt. Louis Vuitton and Gucci bags are everywhere here, lol.

Far away from anything, you have to cab it anywhere you want to go. There are shops and restaurants just down the street but they are all TERRIBLE. Old San Juan (a must see) is a $21 cab ride. You can see the airport from the hotel, but it is still at $12 cab ride.

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view, it's worth it
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I went to San Juan as a gift to my mom. It was the first time in Puerto Rico and I wanted her to have an amazing time. I decided to book us the Ritz San Juan. It was an amazing property so beautiful and clean. The rooms we great i had booked a city view room and when we arrived they upgraded me to an ocean front room. Needless to say the view was Incredible. The service was top notch from the moment we arrived to the very last minute. They knew who we were, they very helpful and super friendly. The food was AMAZING !! We also got to enjoy the casino that was on the property it was very fun as it is mixed with locals as we as hotel guest. I recommend this property to EVERYONE whether its to relax with friends, celebrate an occasion, honeymoon whatever the reason you will enjoy it.

Also note that the Taxi drivers outside the property are really nice one in particular his name is Nestor he can give you a great tour of the island for a great price. The prices in the hotel are very high and its per person he will do it at a negotiable rate and he is a local and knows English and is super knowledgeable I recommend him as well!

Note that this property is just 10 minutes from the Airport and about 20 minutes from most of the attractions -- also I don't recommend to rent a car parking is brutal no places to park and price is high for parking. just take a cab

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Solarte87
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I stayed here for business and it was a great experience. The hotel has an old colonial feel to it, which awoke some guild feelings, but the staff were very friendly and accomodating. It was somewhat weird to see the large casino with the one armed bandit right behind the hotel lobby, but if that is your kind of thing it is probably handy. I did not waste a $ on it. The rooms are also nice and clean, but the view on a flat roof and some old airco's was just miserable.
The hotel is very close to the airport, causing some noise, but the major issue with that is that is far from the attractions like the old town. For that you need a taxiride, that does not cost too much, but takes ages because of traffic jams to and from the old city.
So, great hotel with regretfully an isolated position. Internet was freely available and really good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kiwi1956
NJ
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I wanted to write this review while it was fresh in my head. I wasn't sure what to expect because I had read some very negative things about this hotel. It would never earn 5 stars in my book, simply because it can feel crowded and loud, nothing like i would expect from a Ritz Carlton. The location is also not very good, as it is surrounded by cheap condos and hotels right next door. The hotel itself is very nice inside with clean rooms and great decor. Compared to the rest of the hotels nearby it blows them all out of the water. The staff is very friendly as well.

Here is the best way I can sum up this hotel:

Pros:
Lots of free water bottles
Friendly and helpful staff
Definitely the best hotel in the nearby area
Proximity to airport (5 minute cab ride tops)
Three different types of restaurants that all have great food.

Cons (this may take a while):
Proximity to airport is evident in the form of loud planes that can be heard throughout the day
Crowded (considering I went in the off season I can't imagine how bad it must be during the peak)

Small, crowded beach. The beach wasn't even nice. This is not a knock on the hotel itself but the location for sure. If you are looking for pristine beaches that remind you of paradise I don't think PR is the place to go. Granted I never had a chance to explore other areas of the island, but in the nearby vicinity the beach is small and littered with shells and just overall clutter. The hotel staff takes out ten times the amount of needed beach chairs and just leaves them there even if no one is sitting on them. Not very relaxing if you're looking to be on the beach with some privacy. On a busy day it feels just as crowded as the Jersey shore which is very negative. Rough waters all around as well. Good for surfing but that's about it.

The pool is freezing. I've never been on vacation and never gone in the pool, well this was a first. The pool is often crowded with spots right in front of the pool hard to come by. A decent area of the pool is also reserved for VIP partying. I only saw one of these cabana areas used on one day. Such a total waste of space and money for anyone. It just felt cheap and out of place given that this is more of a family style resort.

Beyond expensive prices for food and drinks. I'm used to absurd pricing, but $25 for a chicken Cesar salad is too much. Go to one of the restaurants and a basic pasta dish is $30. Beyond rip off for what you are getting.

Slow service by the pool and beach area. One lunch order took over an hour to be delivered

Some general imcomptence. I wanted an extra room key and the girl at the front would not give me one without a picture ID despite the fact that i could verify all of my information. I wonder what they would have done had i lost my keys and couldn't go back to my room to get my id? Total ineptitude to allow such a foolish policy or person to be working the front desk.

$47 PER DAY RESORT FEE. I was aware they had one, but I have to reiterate how much of a rip off this is. I've stayed at much more expensive 5 star hotels that do not charge this type of fee. To make matters worse I've always been told and operated under the assumption that a resort fee goes toward tips for the staff waiting on you at the beach and pool. THIS HOTEL MAKES YOU FEEL VERY UNCOMFORTABLE NOT GIVING LARGE TIPS. ON EVERY CHECK IN GIANT CAPS IT STATES THAT GRATUITY IS NOT INCLUDED WITH THIS FINAL BILL. This is totally unnecessary and just plain unfair to the patron.

On top of all this, the hotel is simply way overpriced in general. $300/night plus tax + resort fee in the off season did not make me feel the slightest bit like i was getting even fair value. I've paid $900/night in other resorts and felt like I got every penny worth, but not here. I can't even imagine paying the $500+ they charge per night in the busy season (again that would be $500 + tax + resort fee). They also don't even include breakfast unless you buy a more expensive per night package (again Ritz Carlton management I am not a stranger to expensive hotels, but things like this all add up to someone who is barely satisfied at best).

Overall, 3 stars. never would this hotel get 5 because of the location, layout, and price (unless they slashed prices drastically and kept the service level where it is). Probably would've gotten 4 had the above negatives not bothered me so much.

Just a tip the bar has half price drinks that no one will tell you about between 4-6 everyday. I would suggest taking advantage of this if you go. There's also a free drink coupon in the key packet they first give you. Be sure to bring the room key folder to the lunch restaurant to redeem with your food order (again i found this out too late).

Hope this review helps.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rmani81
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 22 November 2013

6mths ago we celebrated our honeymoon, which PR is a beautiful and friendly location to visit. We've stayed at their other locations in the past (Charlotte, Atl, Amelia Island), and obviously wanted to stay here. Real easy to find, great spot on the beach front and obviously Ritz has great poolside food. The pool staff was excellent, probably the best I've experienced..that said, there are some things that needs to be worked on. As we're checking in, granted the staff was pleasant, but overwhelmed by everyone else checking in. As we're checking in, we were told there would be $150 hold on our CC per night!?!? I've seen holds before, but not for 1100 bucks worth. It was handled and we "compromised" on 500. Being our honeymoon, I hate to say we expected something (because we didn't), but we only do this once, so I was hoping for a perk. Probably my mistake, but they said congrats and told us they would be sending champagne and chocolate covered strawberries to our room. Never received any of it. Please don't promise people those perks unless you follow up on them. Again, it wasn't expected, just easily forgotten. The little things are what's important, and I feel the front desk staff didn't do the small things from what I've experienced at other Ritz Carlton's.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T K
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 21 November 2013

For those guests that like to stay at a higher-end resort will certainly enjoy themeselves here. The rooms are nice (although make sure to book a water-view room) and you have the casino, a nice pool and a beach. Location is great if you like being downtown. The newly renovated spa is a big plus. The lobby bar is a good gathering place before dinner but I think the restaurants are just average. Bottom line is that you won't be disappointed but you probably won't be wowed either.

Room Tip: If looking out your window is important do not book a city-view as the rooftop is not very attractiv...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike F
Canton
Reviewed 20 November 2013

WOW, our trip could not have been better. From the moment we stepped foot on the Ritz Carlton property until we left five days later every aspect of our stay was phenomenal. Front desk Supervisor Johanna could not have been more receptive to our requests at check in.. She made sure we were extremely pleased with our accommodations and we were. My husband and I along with our Best friends were celebrating anniversaries, our 30th and their 29th. Every staff member was made aware of our anniversaries and made sure to acknowledge our anniversaries in a variety of ways. Diana, Susanell and Jeremy in the dining room along with many others provided us with impeccable service. Carlos at the Front door was wonderful and our rooms were cleaned and stocked perfectly. The hotel is gorgeous and the grounds perfectly groomed and the staff at the pool and beach namely Elliott, Juan and Jose were so helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. You will never be disappointed staying here. We did not want to leave, but know we will go back again and again. We would give this hotel a rating of 100% perfection!

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony and ocean view really enhance your trip because early mornings and late evening...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
#20 of 48 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!