“A Must!”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Humble, Texas
“A Must!”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan. I stayed there in July 2013 and December 2013 both times were wonderful. The staff can not be compared to any other hotel that I've stayed at. Now, the waitstaff at the pool could be a tad friendlier. This is the ONLY place I'll stay in San Juan.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Turkish first
East Otis, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just came back from this beautiful resort!! From start to finish it was top notch. From the welcoming glasses of champagne to all the little extras each day. The staff were so accommodating and service-oriented. The beach bar has the best group of staff that I have ever encountered in all our years of traveling. Roberto, Omar, carlito, Amy, etc, were not only fun, but very social and engaging with their guests.

Our ocean front balcony was one of the nicest rooms we have had the pleasure to stay in. Clean, well maintained and above all amazing views!!! The cleaning staff had our rooms done within hours of us walking out the door, and came back at night for turn down servoce and fresh towels!!

The restaurant we ate at was BLT, and it was just great! Popovers are so delicious and staff was again very service oriented. We were never meant to feel rushed and their dinner suggestions were perfect!!!

The hotel lobby bar was pristine, and again an amazing group of staff to be right at your every need. The food there was also perfect!!! Lynette was very helpful in suggestions about what to do and see when in san juan. They all went out of their way to make us feel very special.

Every day we watched weddings by the pool from our balconies, and each day was special. If I had one negative thing to say was the noisy pool activity at 2:30-6:30 a.m.! Not sure what was happening, but guests were loud, and unruly at a very late time of the night! We were on the 8th floor, so I can just imagine how loud it was for guests in the lower floors. Several proms were occurring during our stay so I a, thinking maybe it was that group. Was just a bit confused since security there was amazing. From the locks on all entrances from the beach, to nightly security checks. Gave us a nice sense of how much the ritz pays attention to guests securities and belongings. I did not complain to management since everything else was a 10!!!

Thank you for the wonderful vacation!!

From the berkshire in western mass....

Room Tip: Stay above level 6
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank swahele
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having stayed here for almost a week, I do not understand any of the negative reviews.

1. Read reviews about the Airplane noise and the Airport being close by.

Yes the airport is across the highway from the resort. I NEVER heard any airplane noise while in the resort or in the pool area. I did hear and see the planes if I was out on the beach or in front of the hotel. To me I had no issues with it. I actually enjoyed watching an American Airlines silver bird take off against the clear blue sky with the beach and palm trees as the backdrop.. I loved it.

2. Read reviews about a cock fighting ring being right across the street

This cock fighting ring is across two 3 lane highways and I only found it cause I was looking for it.. and it was CLOSED the entire time I was there.. if I didn't look for it I would of never even found it.

3. Read reviews about the beach being very windy and sand every where

You cant blame the resort if the beach is windy. Yes I did find the beach to be very winday a few times. We were sitting and eating at the Ocean Bar and Grill and sand was flying on to our table.. so the next time we sat down, we found a seat away from the beach and towards the other side of the Bar..problem solved.

4. Read about staff being not polite/rude and not caring.

The staff at this resort was top notch. I have no idea how they do it but they always greeted me by name. They never seemed bothered when you asked for any assistance.. they were always happy to assist. This resort has one of the top 5 staff I have ever experienced in all my travels. Truly appreciative of their guests and I hope they keep this up.

5. Read the hotel is expensive.

I agree... prices are a bit unreasonable even for a Ritz Carlton resort... But I guess this is what you pay for such service.

6. One of the biggest complaints I read was about beach and pool being over crowded.

The beach was never over crowded. We found plenty of empty chairs and pool was nice and big enough we always had our own corner. You cant plan a vacation during spring break and then complain the resort is crowded.. what do you expect? The pool and hot tub is open 24 hours. Perfect when we wanted to sit in the hot tub coming back from a late dinner out.

If you leave the resort out front and make a right, there is a real nice local restaurant/bakery. We ate breakfast there almost every morning.. $20 for 2 and it was delicious. It included eggs, potato, bacon toast coffee and orange juice. There is a Walgreen one more block up same direction.. they sell beer and alcohol and I strongly recommend stocking up from there.. request a mini fridge for the room to keep the beer cold (its free)

The Spa was Excellent. Carmen and Damina took care of us the best way you can imagine. They truly made us feel welcome and we want to thank them for the excellent service and advise.

If I have any complaint about this hotel at all.. it would be that I did find somethings to be a bit over priced.. other than that.. its a very classy customer service oriented property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Blasphemystic
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton name carries high expectations for people world wide. When I made my reservation I was so excited to have the opportunity to stay with this company. Unfortunately what I found was an over-inflated holiday inn. Concierge was not helpful. Prior to our stay I contacted concierge to inquire about bio bay and was given no information regarding this at all. They did, however, ask me about any special occasions we might be celebrating. There was no mention of my husbands birthday from the hotel. Because THEY INQUIRED, I assumed they would make a special effort on some level. Any level. Not even a "Happy birthday" was offered. As I leave, I am left wondering where the 4th and 5th star are located. Super expensive with ZERO perks.

Stayed May 2014
RCSJU, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Kimberly W,
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. Please forgive me for not providing you the experience you expected. I hope that even though you did not receive the information, that you had the opportunity to visit the Bio Bay, a fantastic and unique experience you find in very few places in the world. I am really sorry that we did not recognize your husband’s birthday even though you provided the information when you called prior to your arrival.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for not providing you a fabulous stay at our resort; however I hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Warm regards,
Jackie Volkart
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We had a fantastic stay here at the Ritz-Carlton San Juan. I hear what everyone is saying along their disappointments in the property but the service here really out-shined any possible problems we had. From the warm welcome at the front desk to checking out we were treated like we were their family. We were celebrating an engagement that happened here on their beach. Greeted with a great glass of champagne and even treated to a complimentary congratulatory bottle of sparkling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Even the ladies at the front desk and concierge were sincerely and extremely happy for us helping us celebrate. They left us with such an amazing experience here that we are now on our way to site tour The Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes for our actual wedding. We will never be able to stay at any other hotel and we will never be able to celebrate any milestone in our relationship without the Ritz-Carlton. Special shout out to the front desk and the concierge. They truly made our stay unique, personal and just WOW. One person truly made our day and that would be the genuine care of the front desk supervisor. She went out of her way to make our stay just amazing.

Three things I feel like I can point out to work on at the property. One, the pool is BEAUTIFUL! They just need to make sure a good cleaning and maintenance is done soon on it to keep it as beautiful as it could possibly be. Two, we joined them at BLT and I'm only going to leave it at this. I would think twice. I heard Il Mulino was FANTASTIC. BLT was a big disappointment in food and service for us but the atmosphere was great. Three, the drink prices out by the pool and beach were a bit on the, exaggerated side. I understand that it's the Ritz-Carlton but when two beers cost roughly $30 with tip then we may want to look at how much more money we could be getting if we brought it down half of that haha.

Either way these "problems" were only noteworthy in the smallest regards as, like I said, the service was just impeccable. I didn't mind paying the extra cost as I felt like I was being reimbursed by their genuine care and personal care of me and my new fiance.

Also, we are a gay couple and were worried that we may not be accepted or celebrated here but for the other gay couples out there just know this is a great location. They treat you like any other couple out there and are just as happy, if not more so, to celebrate with you and for you. AMAZING EXPERIENCE AGAIN! GREAT JOB!

P.S. My wallet is a little upset at how great you treated us seeing as it's going to be handing over a ton of money to create just as equal of an experience for our wedding with The Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony or a high room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MLink87
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great location right on the beach. However, the proximity to the airport gave us a close up view of large planes as they took off and landed next to us.
You will never go wrong at a Ritz Carlton and the hotel was very nice with an outstanding Italian restaurant.
They are just limited by the available space in a very crowded area of the city. The pool was small, not many walking paths, etc. They were not able to accommodate everyone for our meeting, which wasn't that large.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank PVB_32082_11
RCSJU, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the share your experience on Trip Advisor and for being our guests. Thank you for highlighting our beachfront location, overall service and the Il Mulino restaurant. Many of our guests enjoy being so closed to the airport, allowing some extra minutes on the beach or by the pool. The beach front is large and has a lot of space to accommodate many guests; there may be moments when most guests prefer to be poolside. We are working on how to best accommodate all our pool guests for everyone to enjoy.
Warm regards,
Jackie
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was very impressed with the overly friendly staff and how they went over and above to make sure we were happy and comfortable. The Spa & outside Bar Staff were beyond accommodating, I would go back just to have that level of service again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
#19 of 48 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!