“One of the BEST hotels we have stayed at!”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
East Otis, Massachusetts
“One of the BEST hotels we have stayed at!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I have been lucky enough to have stayed in many beautiful hotels, but this Ritz Carlton had one exception...the SERVICE. Never have we been treated with such politeness and willingness to help with any question you may have. From the greeting and the big smile at the door by Carlos, the champagne at check-in (very early check-in I might add) to our gorgeous room, I knew we were going to enjoy our stay. Our room was #853, corner room, breathtaking view &(quite reasonable in May) very big, very clean and the bathroom was exceptional. Not sure where other reviewers were, but there was nothing outdated except maybe the corridor carpets. We asked for the higher floors because we wanted to be above the palm trees in and around the resort. We were lucky enough to witness 3 weddings below our balcony. We headed to the Ocean Grill and Roberto was just the best! He made me feel special when we told him the trip was my 50th present from my husband. (I don't expect people to gush over me because it's my birthday or special O) but he made sure my glass was always full:) BLT for dinner a must! Waitstaff and food were top notch, and the popovers!!!! The pool area is very pretty and there was plenty of room to float around even with a game of volley ball going on. The beach was crowded in the central area but we found a nice spot off to the side. It was Memorial Day weekend after all. It was a bit windy as one reviewer complained about the sand, but really??? That's like complaining about rain in a rainforest. The staff is right there to help set you up and get you food and drinks...again, soooo helpful! The inside lounge has a great small plate menu along with a terrific sushi selection. Esteban was full of information about good restaurants in the area. Breakfast buffet was pricey but we wanted to order off the menu anyway (still pricey, choose wisely) Dixon was our friendly waiter, and the chef came out to apologize in person for an omelette issue. Who does that?? The Casino is kind of small and I would have liked more music, but my husband did pretty well at the tables, and there are other casinos within walking distance. We were never bothered by the airport at all, yes, we would see the planes now and then but certainly not a nuisance. I cannot say one bad thing about our stay here, although our friends who were on the pool side did complain that there were people partying all night out there, which I read in other reviews. Not sure why that's allowed, but they have great security in and around the whole resort. We will definitely stay at the Ritz again!

Room Tip: Stay in rooms above 6th floor if possible. The corner room has amazing views, 853 had 2 showers and...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank bithy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Hands down, the friendliest and most attentive service I have ever experienced has been in Puerto Rico and The Ritz Carlton is no exception. We stayed here for a wedding and had a beautiful room overlooking the pool and beach. I am not a pool person but did hang out there some while my niece and nephew swam. It was very pretty, what you would expect from a pool at a luxury hotel. The grounds were nicely manicured with tropical plants; the interiors decorated with a mix of Caribbean colonial furniture/architecture with modern art. The room was a good size - not large, not small. We slept very comfortably. The hotel is on the Atlantic side of the island so the water is fairly rough but delightful. We started each day with long walks on the beach and were incredibly impressed with how clean the beach was, no litter anywhere. There is a BLT Steak in the lobby which is convenient if you want to eat at the hotel, which we did do one night (order the potato skins!), but we enjoyed most of our meals in local restaurants. We did do breakfast at the hotel which was quite good. Delicious omelets and the cinnamon raisin french toast was to die for. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring Old San Juan (Calle Fortaleza) and the fort (El Morro). But I have to reiterate, the best part of our stay was the service - attentive, fast, friendly, and warm. This is a great place to stay in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mlv01
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed 4 days at The Ritz Carlton in San Juan and it was a very good experience, Staff is super friendly, bell boys, pool staff, receptionist, waitress, everybody is just helping so you have a great time. No noise from the airport for me at all. Very relaxing at the pool, they give you water and fruits all the time. Wifi works great through the property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mrkury
Humble, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I love The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan. I stayed there in July 2013 and December 2013 both times were wonderful. The staff can not be compared to any other hotel that I've stayed at. Now, the waitstaff at the pool could be a tad friendlier. This is the ONLY place I'll stay in San Juan.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
East Otis, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just came back from this beautiful resort!! From start to finish it was top notch. From the welcoming glasses of champagne to all the little extras each day. The staff were so accommodating and service-oriented. The beach bar has the best group of staff that I have ever encountered in all our years of traveling. Roberto, Omar, carlito, Amy, etc, were not only fun, but very social and engaging with their guests.

Our ocean front balcony was one of the nicest rooms we have had the pleasure to stay in. Clean, well maintained and above all amazing views!!! The cleaning staff had our rooms done within hours of us walking out the door, and came back at night for turn down servoce and fresh towels!!

The restaurant we ate at was BLT, and it was just great! Popovers are so delicious and staff was again very service oriented. We were never meant to feel rushed and their dinner suggestions were perfect!!!

The hotel lobby bar was pristine, and again an amazing group of staff to be right at your every need. The food there was also perfect!!! Lynette was very helpful in suggestions about what to do and see when in san juan. They all went out of their way to make us feel very special.

Every day we watched weddings by the pool from our balconies, and each day was special. If I had one negative thing to say was the noisy pool activity at 2:30-6:30 a.m.! Not sure what was happening, but guests were loud, and unruly at a very late time of the night! We were on the 8th floor, so I can just imagine how loud it was for guests in the lower floors. Several proms were occurring during our stay so I a, thinking maybe it was that group. Was just a bit confused since security there was amazing. From the locks on all entrances from the beach, to nightly security checks. Gave us a nice sense of how much the ritz pays attention to guests securities and belongings. I did not complain to management since everything else was a 10!!!

Thank you for the wonderful vacation!!

From the berkshire in western mass....

Room Tip: Stay above level 6
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank swahele
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having stayed here for almost a week, I do not understand any of the negative reviews.

1. Read reviews about the Airplane noise and the Airport being close by.

Yes the airport is across the highway from the resort. I NEVER heard any airplane noise while in the resort or in the pool area. I did hear and see the planes if I was out on the beach or in front of the hotel. To me I had no issues with it. I actually enjoyed watching an American Airlines silver bird take off against the clear blue sky with the beach and palm trees as the backdrop.. I loved it.

2. Read reviews about a cock fighting ring being right across the street

This cock fighting ring is across two 3 lane highways and I only found it cause I was looking for it.. and it was CLOSED the entire time I was there.. if I didn't look for it I would of never even found it.

3. Read reviews about the beach being very windy and sand every where

You cant blame the resort if the beach is windy. Yes I did find the beach to be very winday a few times. We were sitting and eating at the Ocean Bar and Grill and sand was flying on to our table.. so the next time we sat down, we found a seat away from the beach and towards the other side of the Bar..problem solved.

4. Read about staff being not polite/rude and not caring.

The staff at this resort was top notch. I have no idea how they do it but they always greeted me by name. They never seemed bothered when you asked for any assistance.. they were always happy to assist. This resort has one of the top 5 staff I have ever experienced in all my travels. Truly appreciative of their guests and I hope they keep this up.

5. Read the hotel is expensive.

I agree... prices are a bit unreasonable even for a Ritz Carlton resort... But I guess this is what you pay for such service.

6. One of the biggest complaints I read was about beach and pool being over crowded.

The beach was never over crowded. We found plenty of empty chairs and pool was nice and big enough we always had our own corner. You cant plan a vacation during spring break and then complain the resort is crowded.. what do you expect? The pool and hot tub is open 24 hours. Perfect when we wanted to sit in the hot tub coming back from a late dinner out.

If you leave the resort out front and make a right, there is a real nice local restaurant/bakery. We ate breakfast there almost every morning.. $20 for 2 and it was delicious. It included eggs, potato, bacon toast coffee and orange juice. There is a Walgreen one more block up same direction.. they sell beer and alcohol and I strongly recommend stocking up from there.. request a mini fridge for the room to keep the beer cold (its free)

The Spa was Excellent. Carmen and Damina took care of us the best way you can imagine. They truly made us feel welcome and we want to thank them for the excellent service and advise.

If I have any complaint about this hotel at all.. it would be that I did find somethings to be a bit over priced.. other than that.. its a very classy customer service oriented property.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Blasphemystic
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The Ritz Carlton name carries high expectations for people world wide. When I made my reservation I was so excited to have the opportunity to stay with this company. Unfortunately what I found was an over-inflated holiday inn. Concierge was not helpful. Prior to our stay I contacted concierge to inquire about bio bay and was given no information regarding this at all. They did, however, ask me about any special occasions we might be celebrating. There was no mention of my husbands birthday from the hotel. Because THEY INQUIRED, I assumed they would make a special effort on some level. Any level. Not even a "Happy birthday" was offered. As I leave, I am left wondering where the 4th and 5th star are located. Super expensive with ZERO perks.

Stayed May 2014
RCSJU, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Kimberly W,
I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. Please forgive me for not providing you the experience you expected. I hope that even though you did not receive the information, that you had the opportunity to visit the Bio Bay, a fantastic and unique experience you find in very few places in the world. I am really sorry that we did not recognize your husband’s birthday even though you provided the information when you called prior to your arrival.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for not providing you a fabulous stay at our resort; however I hope you will give us another chance in the future.
Warm regards,
#20 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!