“Need an escape from NYC during the winter blahs, BOOK HERE!!!!”

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Easiest warm weather city to travel to from NYC, and hotel is minutes from SJ airport; once you arrive, you never have to leave. Fantastic pool and beach areas, service close to perfect. Highly recommend club floor room as these extra touches and food/drink availability create ease that allows total relaxation. Superb winter getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Normadic Nina,
“Super winter getaway”, thank you for recognizing that Puerto Rico and our resort are a very easy getaway. We are conveniently located, just a few minutes from the airport and oceanfront. I am glad you enjoyed all the amenities of our Club Floor, which we have recently renovated.
We look forward to welcome you back, not just a Winter Getaway, hopefully a year around.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Landscaping is very good the private beach is excellent and the restaurants on the property are good, close to a lot of attractions nice pool. The room size was small although you are a gold member with Marriott Ritz does not honor that and does not upgrade you

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Kzubairi,
We appreciate your loyalty to our brand. There are some great benefits for being a gold member when you visit our Ritz-Carlton properties; they are listed in the benefits program you received.
Thank you for mentioning our restaurants, the pool and beach as well as our resort being closed to many wonderful attractions Puerto Rico has to offer.
We look forward to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel in 2009. Overall, the Ritz has improved during this period of time. The grounds are immaculate and the service exceptional--going beyond being merely helpful.. Employees seem happy to seve you and are knowledgeable about the hotel and the area, with lots of excellent advice and insight.

We booked a good Internet rate, and received an ocean-front room and everything as promised. No surprises. The beach set-up is outstanding--the staff will take comfortable chairs and large umbrellas to the spot you choose. Complimentary water and oranges on the beach were a nice touch, as was the NYTimes morning summary. Our room was very clean and well-appointed and the service was exemplary.

In brief, we wanted a reasonably-priced, no-hassle beach vacation--the Ritz exceeded our expectations. We congratulate the management for making the Ritz an ever-better experience. We'll be back.

PS Only negative--food is quite expensive at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view
1  Thank pennsylvaniab

Dear Pennsylvaniab,
I am happy to know that you found nice improvement of our resort since your last visit back in 2009. Thank you for recognizing the service provided by our Ladies and Gentlemen, as well as their knowledge in assisting you with all of your needs. We are located oceanfront and our pool and beach team is ready to serve you all day long, for our guests to enjoy the warm Caribbean sun.
You nicely describe your vacation, “no-hassle beach vacation”, thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

You can certainly look at all my previous reviews to see that I know this property very, very well. I was married at this property, and I visited and stayed at this hotel 14 times from what I can remember. I won't write a very long review, as my last "comprehensive review" is certainly adequate. Just a few updates - The OBG (ocean bar and grill) was recently updated. It was under construction during my last visit. The newer OBG is nice, more practical, and beach-side. The bar is nice, large and the staff is friendly. There are many more tables. The construction; however, is shoddy. The new OBG is just an extension of the old, and it appears to be a little weak in design, but it is a nicer improvement. One big shock, was the apparent and clear decline in the service provided by the staff. The front desk and concierge remain very good. However, the staff of the Mares restaurant...is actually abysmal. On one day, it rained and they were so ill-equipped. The lunch took near 2 hours. Drinks never came, not only to our table, but to many. It felt like a cafeteria. There are many new faces in the Mares restaurant, and I found many of the wait staff completely out of it and incompetent, so much so, that we chose not to eat there after our first morning, opting for a quick bite elsewhere. That's a problem for sure. The chef who cooks omelletes is FANTASTIC, and has been there for year. He is a wonderful guy and embodies the spirit of the island, I wish he had more face time there and I wish the hotel could give him props in some way. Everyone adores him. Second, the service at the pool is so awful. It deprives the hotel of income and the guests of fully enjoring themselves. There is 1-2 waiters that circulate throughout the day..and with a large, often crowded pool, with the rates this hotel charges, there should be 4-5 circulating at all times. We didn't order a thing on days 2-5 because of the huge huge delay, opting only to walk to the bar to get drinks, huge inconvenience. And if I said it once, I will say it again in every single review, there is NO PLACE in this hotel to "hang out" unless you sit at pool or go to the casino. Many, many other Ritz's have a library with pool table, large couches, TVs, computers, etc. The main lobby is too open and boring and full of people walking around. I cannot understand why they dont take one of the upstairs conference rooms or some huge room on second floor and make it into a library, pool table, TVs, maybe a bar. THe ritz in naples has this and it MAKES the hotel. And also- why no 24 hour (or extended hour) coffee bar with snacks, etc?? The main lobby service times are horrible. I LOVE this hotel and in the past always made return plans, but until I hear from locals and family in the area that the service matches a ritz, and when they add an area for people to lounge that is not the pool or the main lobby, I will not be visiting again, sad to say. The hotel needs to mimic the service and style of the BLT and Il lMulino restaurants it houses...both are head and shoulders above the remainder of the hotel. I would still recommend this hotel over any other in San Juan. But they just need to get their act together. No More 2-4k stays for me until they change things. So much effort is put into the front door staff and front desk...this should be for the remainder of the hotel.

Room Tip: The ongoing construction now -- two visits in a row is horrendous. The tent above the spa was worke...
4  Thank Jenna181
Jackie V, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Jenna181,
Your 14th visit to our resort, on behalf of all the Ladies and Gentlemen, I truly thank you for your loyalty. Please forgive us for not providing you the vacation you expected and deserved. You know our hotel and it is disappointing to read that you were not happy and did not feel receiving the service you had experienced in the past. The feedback is valuable and I considered as a “gift”, as it helps us in our continued journey to improve our processes and services.
We would love to have you back on a 15th visit. You will see the improvements we are working on, one of them is our Coffee Bar at Mares, featuring already over 30 types of coffees, and soon more to come as well as an improved more local setting.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I read some of the reviews here and thought how could the Ritz be bad? Well, our check in was true to Ritz Carlton, Professional, attention to detail and all was great. The bell hop took us to our room. (#722) As soon as we walked in the room the overwhelming smell of must hit us in the face. I'm talking cheap motel overwhelming musty smell. The bell hop was taken aback as well. He offered for the housekeeping to come in and "freshen" the room. At that moment we agreed as we were tired. After about 5 minutes we decided the smell was just way to strong. We went back downstairs. The bell hop saw us and waited in line with me which I thought was very nice. They switched us to "a club level" floor and told us we could not use the club or we would be charged $200. We didn't know what "the club" was nor did we care. We tipped the bell hop again. That room smelled normal. We waited a long long time to go on this trip. We have a special needs son and it was our first trip without him. We just wanted to put on the signature robes and watch tv and decompress. There was only one robe. We would have sucked it up but didn't want to be charged. We called for another robe and tipped them too. So now we decided lets just get out of the room, as we were both frustrated. We opted to go in the hot tub. I call downstairs to see if they have one, I was told yes down at the pool area.When we get down there, it was BROKEN.Frustrated and in our suits already we went to the beach. That was a nice experience. We went to lunch at there ocean restaurant. (you will not get out for less than $80) The food and service was good. We had dinner at BLT,went back to room and called it a night. My husband went to plug in his snore machine behind the couch and pulled out A GIANT PAIR OF MENS DIRTY UNDERWEAR!!!!!!! I went downstairs with underwear in a baggie. They told me they would comp the room, give us another room and comp us another night next stay. So we go pack our room up AGAIN at midnight. They upgraded us to a suite...we walked in looked at each other and laughed. It smelled like must. We were too tired to care. We go to bed. (beds are very comfortable). I go sit at the desk turn on the light...it has no bulb in it. Bathroom vainity light...yea no bulb either! Next morning new day right? There is a hotel bill under my door for $580! I am now fuming. It also included a $54 Resort fee. I immediately go to front desk and she tells me we gave you a $100 credit as the suite is a $1000 room. I told her I didn't give a "hoot" about the suite I would have much rather not packed up my room at midnight and have dirty underwear in my husbands hand! I now asked to speak to general manager. I was asked for my number and told she would call me. I went up and wrote a letter and brought it back down. The manager was there when I went back down and comped us the room and one of our meals.She also extended our checkout til 5 pm. We waited a lifetime to go. I will never go back!! Just so you know, this is not something I do. I have never complained.

Room Tip: Don't get the suite. Just an oversized musty room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tamatha W

Dear Tamantha,
Every day we try to create unique and memorable experiences for all our guests. Unfortunately your vacation was not an example for that. I appreciate the detailed feedback you provided. I am personally looking into each of them to ensure we use it as a training tool and to improve our processes. Please forgive me; every guest should have an enjoyable vacation with us and on our beautiful Island of Puerto Rico.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel was incredible. The pool was wonderful. We were there from a Saturday until Wednesday during the Puerto Rican constitution weekend. The hotel seemed to have locals using the pool as it was a long holiday weekend which one day made it impossible to find a chair and the pool was really crowded. The staff was very friendly and helpful. One down side was poolside server. She seemed to dislike us right away to a point where she would walk right by and made it obvious she was ignoring us. She just wasn't not friendly except to the people she knew hanging out in the pool and was talking with for a long time. Antonio for turn down was very nice and left us a very nice note the night before we left. This was our first time in PR and enjoyed our stay. Would def go back and stay at Ritz.

Room Tip: Pool view is awesome. We were on 7th floor and had pop land ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Caezette

Dear Cazette,
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your vacation with us over the Puerto Rican Constitution Weekend. We have implemented a pool chairs process, which is working really well, ensuring all our guests can enjoy a nice day at the pool, without having to search for pool chairs. Thank you for the feedback regarding the service around the pool, we will address.
I appreciate the kind words about Antonio, who did your turndown service. I will definitely recognize him during our “Red Carpet Recognition line up”.
We look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband , my 14 year old son and I just returned from a 7 night stay at the Ritz Carlton. We had requested an ocean front room and got an ocean view room which was just great as it overlooked the pool and the ocean. The ocean bar and lounge bar are great places with amazing staff especially Tia at the lounge bar. The concierge was great too and helped us book two great trips to the rain forest and old San Juan.

Room Tip: Higher floors and odd room # have great views of the ocean. We stayed in 813 which was great.
1  Thank Mags3

Dear MagS3,
Our Island has so much to offer. I am glad that you and your family went to see the Rain Forrest and Old San Juan, besides enjoying our resort. I appreciate you being our guests for a full week and for your wonderful comments about the employees and especially about Tia. I will recognize her in our next “Red Carpet Recognition Line up.”

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan? Share your experiences!