“Great Experience”

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Well kept property with very accommodating staff. We left the safe and closet open one day and returned to find the room cleaned but everything in the safe untouched. All staff was very knowledgeable of the area and went out of their way to make sure our time in Puerto Rico exceeded our expectations. We were greeted by David Rasario who took the time to give us directions for all our needs and made several good recommendations. We ended up renting a car and hiring David for the day to tour the island. Don't miss the Rio Camuy caves and Ponce. All in all, a great vacation.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms are actually a view of the city street - go for ocean view! Enjoy the songs of the Coqu...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for InterContinental San Juan

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental twice; in March and in June. The service was remarkable both times. I love how close the beach is, and the jacuzzi by the pool is really nice. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are very clean. Isla Verde is safe and has plenty things to do and places to eat. And Old San Juan is just a $1-2 bus ride away!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cory P
Reviewed 27 December 2013

This was a first time Christmas getaway for our family. It is a beautiful property on the beach and our ocean view room was spacious and clean. The staff is most welcoming, gracious and accommodating. They truly focus on serving their guests with excellence! We really enjoyed the delicious daily brunch to get our day started and a glass of wine/ice coffee in the evening to get us ready for fun in the hotel casino (as well as the Coquito samples in the lobby nightly). Lots of options for day trip excursions in Old San Juan or El Yunque or just beach activities and exploring nearby. It was a wonderful family friendly trip ~ we all had a great time! On Christmas Day, the hotel left a bottle of Coquito (Puerto Rican coconut styled egg nog!) in our room! Muchas gracias to our housekeeper and Santa's helper, Georgina Villa! Even though there was a language barrier, she communicated from her heart! We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed a night here and a few nights in San Juan Viejo at Hotel El Convento - My opinion may be colored by how wonderful Hotel El Convento was, but this place also just seemed sort of lifeless for a resort. I stayed on La Noche de San Juan Baptista, so the beach itself had quite a party in the evening, but the hotel stayed sleepy, the food and drinks was less than stellar, and only the pool was at all memorable.

Rooms were decent, beach was good for a lounge in the sun, but definitely nothing here for solo travelers.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tea01
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Tea01, thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are very disappointed to see that your last stay was not the one you expected.

We would love to have the pleasure to welcome you again, as since your stay in June we have done some enhacements to our property which include newly remodeled guest rooms, meeting spaces and lobby bar. This last one has two ambiences where you can have a drink either inside the lobby or al fresco. Also, Latin Live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the lobby lounge will enhance the experience of being at the Caribbean.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Service was great, great rooms and spacious! The people here are kind and respond to you really well when you need something. Rooms have comfortable beds!! Great views to the sea. There is a gym just not very large. The Caesar salad here was great too! Come here to relax and have a great vacation. There's a jacuzzi!!!!

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank APopAddict
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This property is a nice choice if your main purpose in visiting San Juan is lounging on the beach. The highlight of my stay were the hours I spent on the (complimentary) beach chairs facing the ocean listening to the waves. It was not crowded, dirty, etc - very peaceful and relaxing. There is also a large pool (with swim-up bar) and hot tub area which also had plenty of seating and easily accommodated the December visitors. My room was lovely with comfortable furniture, lots of outlets (thank you!) and opened up to the ocean view. The bathroom is very small but serviceable for me as a solo traveler. Some wear and tear on the bathroom fixtures.

I can't rate this 5 stars because it lacks a few details that separate 4 and 5 star properties. For instance, the room rate I purchased came with breakfast and access to the Club, but since it is apparently still under construction, there was no Club. I was not offered a like amenity or drink tickets etc to make up for this.

Though the service was pleasant, it was very slow. I get it - "island time" and all - but it was unnecessary. Each morning at breakfast I waited about 10 minutes to be seated - not because it was crowded, but because the hostess would wander away from her post for long periods of time. The food on the breakfast buffet was not replenished frequently, so when it was, the patrons immediately pounce. Beware if the breakfast is not included in your room rate - it's $27 for an Embassy Suites-type of hot/cold breakfast food with an omelette station. I do wish that at least one of the restaurants onsite featured more local cuisine - I don't fly to PR to eat Italian, Japanese and steakhouse food.

One night I went to the wine bar in the lobby - an area advertised specifically as a wine bar, featuring a large variety of high quality wines by the glass. I waited, again, about 10 minutes for the cashier to finish with the customer in front of me who ordered a coffee. They seemed to be having a personal conversation with no regard for the person waiting. And when I ordered the prosecco, the cashier was confused and had to call someone over to help. The other individual then went to another restaurant on the property to retrieve the prosecco (another 10 minutes) and when they gave it to me, they charged an additional 20% from the price listed on the menu. I had to show them the menu to get the advertised price. I didn't see the bottle, but I suspect they didn't have prosecco and ended up giving me some other type of sparkling wine which had a higher price. That's ok if they had asked me, but they didn't. And why advertise something on the menu in a counter-service restaurant that is not available?

Another minor beef I had was with the toiletries. I don't know what brand they were, but the shampoo and conditioner dried out my hair to an extreme extent - yikes! I strongly urge you to bring your own. Of note, the housekeeper never replenished my toiletries during my 3-day stay and on the last day she didn't replace my used towels either.

I did visit the health club which boasts a lovely view of the ocean on the website - unfortunately for me, the windows were all covered up with paper (perhaps because of construction again?) so I missed out on that. Nice modern machines with TVs.

So for all of the above reasons, I cannot rate this a 5 star experience. However as I said - a great choice for beachside relaxation.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TexasTravelerAustin

Dear TexasTravelerAustin, thank you for taking the time to review your last stay with us. We are glad to see that your overall experience was good and that you think our property is a great choice for relaxation.

Nevertheless, your comments about the service provided by our staff concern me deeply as well as the ones related with our enhancements to the property. We sincerely offer our apologies for this and for the inconveniences caused. Your comments related to these matters were shared with the departments involved, which are always open to take actions to improve our guest experience.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is our second stay at the intercontinental. Wonderful experience again, love the pool and the beach area. Everything is clean and attended to. Staff is very friendly especially Lola Luyanda who had a smile and the best service ever at breakfast. She went out of her way to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
#19 of 47 in San Juan
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 47 in San Juan

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!