“Perfection”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
“Perfection”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I went to this hotel back in April for a friend's wedding with my boyfriend and his family. I am in my late twenties I have been to Puerto Rico previously but this was my first stay at the Intercontinental. From the minute we walked through the doors until the second we left this was a positive experience. The hotel overall is extremely well maintained, the pool was clean, the rooms were clean and the property is right on the beach. The entire staff was just a pleasure to deal with- everyone from Omar who would greet us daily at the door, to Hilton our housekeeping friend who would leave us the cutest little towel animals to Pedro our waiter on the beach. These three folks in particular made it a very positive experience and made a lasting impression. We ate daily outside at one of the outside bar areas and the food was always good. We also ordered room service several times which was also great. NO complaints. There was a great selection of mixed drinks and a mixed crowd of people. There is also a casino on the property. We left the property each night for dinner, but the hotel itself is a close walk to almost everything you would need - store or restaurant in the area. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying on the island!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ILoveToTravel1986
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. We are delighted to read your great comments about our staff and our property. Please rest assured that we will pass on your compliments to Omar, Hilton and Pedro. Comments as yours motivate us to work harder in order to deliver the service levels that our guests are looking for.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Finnish first
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

What a nice hotel! It was an amazing experience. The staff from the front office were amazing, the pool areas and the Italian Restarant are excellent! Please try the Pizza! The service in this Hotel is one of the best in the Caribbean

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Juan Carlos G
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our property. We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed our service levels. We've already shared your experience with our team and we truly appreciate that you have recognized teh service delivered by our Front Office staff. We are very fortunate to have them as part of our team.

Thank you again for your positive feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Mason City, Iowa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed a week on a regular room with ocean view and payed over $3000!!! Pool not designed to be kid friendly but there is a small play area for the young ones. The hotel is not new and the rooms show some wear and tear and suspect maintenance... Its nice for the area as many food chioces in walking distance. Lobby gets loud on the weekends and casino is tiny.

Room Tip: You will pay a premium for an ocean view but its much more quiet than the "city" view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angel G
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for choosing the InterContinental® San Juan for your last stay in Puerto Rico. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our service levels and that you found our location convenient. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention as it help us to identify areas of improvement.

Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon!
Bronx, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Love at first sight! We stayed at the Intercontinental from May 29th to June 1st. The hotel was amazingly beautiful and clean (kudos to housekeeping). The food was great (breakfast was my favorite meal), I really enjoyed the pool side selection at the snack bars. The staff was friendly, inviting and super helpful. Had a great time at the bar with Jaders and Ded (Muchachos fue un placer), I want to thank them for really making my stay very pleasant (All the staff at the bar thank you). They make excellent drinks, are very personable and super funny. They really helped my friend and I find places to go and things to do for fun, gave us tons on information (literally a list!!!). I look forward to coming back really soon. Que Viva Puerto Rico!!

Gracias a todos por una experiencia maravillosa.

Se les quiere,
La Morenasa

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rosanna L
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review! It is our goal to provide unmatched service and accommodations and we are especially pleased to read that you felt this commitment during your stay. It was a pleasure to share your positive experience with our team. They truly appreciate hearing from satisfied guests like you and we all look forward to your return.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My experience at the Intercontinental was exemplary. Although it wasn’t without the occasional hitch, the service and polish of the hotel made my trip much more than just a quick get away.

During my seven day stay I reached out to the concierge team regularly to find out things to do. Nestor, Antonio, and Luis each came through on exciting opportunities that were very well executed. Here’s an example of the sheer polish this team had: One day at 2:50p I went down to the concierge desk to ask Nestor if there was any way that I could get scuba diving into my remaining schedule. Nestor knew what groups were still diving and called one that had a dive at 3:30p. He saved me a spot and, while I ran upstairs to gather my dive gear, he had my car ready and already waiting for me (without me even asking). Antonio and Luis both have similar experiences they orchestrated. Without this team my experience, and that of my family member that joined me later on the trip, wouldn’t have been even remotely noteworthy.

But the concierge wasn’t the only area of the hotel that performed admirably. Each group had similar stories. Each morning I woke up and went down to breakfast for the buffet. I happened to sit at Alexis’ section one morning. Although everyone at the breakfast restaurant offered friendly service with a smile, I was able to see Alex make an effort above and beyond to make my breakfasts noteworthy. After eating my meal one day I had mentioned how nice it would be to have my coffee at the beachfront. Without hesitation he offered to get me a fresh pot and bring it out to the couches/tables. He came out with the coffee, sugar, and a fresh cup for me to sit and enjoy and met me out there. This really started the morning off right.

Imagine leaving a breakfast like that and then going up to your hotel room to see towels shaped like monkeys, swans, penguins, or elephants! I could always tell whenever Hilton (the housekeeper’s name) cleaned my room. The other housekeepers simply left the room looking spotless, but Hilton staged it into an experience. Pillows weren’t just placed neatly one atop the other, they were fanned out in different ways with some towel menagerie close by. Not only was he thorough, but very personable. If he saw me leaving my room he’d always say hello, and if he hadn’t cleaned it was very prompt to ensure that it was a good time. It was impressive.

Lastly, I had mentioned that my trip wasn’t completely without incident. I was in during Memorial Day weekend and had a room right outside the elevator stack. My neighbors weren’t the quietest bunch and the bathroom wasn’t in great repair. After a day in the room I reached out to Kathia at the front desk to see if anything could be done. They proactively notified me when another room was available and had someone from the hotel help me transfer my things. The new room was in perfect condition and I had no issues with noise or room quality from that point.

Some general points about the property if you’re considering them:
* The property has Avis on site. After my trip I decided that I wouldn’t rent a car and then valet it or park it there as the cost for Avis for a day would probably be cheaper.
* The casino on site is small, but the tables are lively and the staff is willing to help you learn if you’re new to a game. There’s a nearby hotel with newer games. Together you could just go to Puerto Rico to gamble and have a great time.
* There isn’t an ATM on site. Yeah, in 2014 that’s crazy. The best option is to go across the street to a convenience store.
* The pool is great (and was never crowded during Memorial Day weekend!), but the bar service at the pool was pretty inattentive. Prepare yourself to be bossy unless there is absolutely no one else at the bar.
* The beach bar serves great food but you don’t get great service if you’re sitting at the bar. Once we moved to a table service seemed pretty regular although it did seem as though this wasn’t the same experience for everyone.
* The beach itself is beautiful, and they set out towels and beach chairs for everyone. If you’re free for the day and want to try jet skis there is a kiosk run by another hotel just down the way.
* Although I mentioned that my original room was in disrepair, it wasn’t a complete disaster. My second room was a 10, I’d say my first room was a 6-7, it just had a flaking mirror, poor shower head, and a flickering light in the shower. I doubt that was the experience for most rooms.
* Ruth at the tour desk isn’t incredibly sweet or sunny, but she’s very efficient. If you want a tour she will set you up quickly and there will be no problems. Just don’t expect much interaction or a smile.

Room Tip: The insulation to outside was great. When I was in a cheaper room I did hear my neighbors more but...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank Jeremy S
Dear Jeremy S, thank you for allowing us to host you during your recent visit and for taking the time to share your words of appreciation. We are humbled to have received such thoughtful comments, for there really is no greater satisfaction, as a customer service professional, than receiving kind words from a happy guest. We all look forward to the privilege of serving you on a return trip to Puerto Rico!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

first time in puerto rico and it was probably my best vacation ever. the staff made this experience that much better. one in particular is the bartender, pedro, our first day there he gave us great advice about the island and great places to eat, always so nice every time we saw him! it felt more like home than a hotel. it always helps and feels good that the staff remembers you and your name greeting you every time. excellent customer service. our room wasn't even ready on time when we arrived and everyone was still so nice. breakfast was included in our room, amazing breakfast!! i will defiantly come back.

Room Tip: ocean view room ... only way to go!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paulina G
We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. We are pleased that you find our staff to be outstanding and that your first visit to Puerto Rico was to your entire satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

overall a great experience. Irene Perez in guest relations was really helpful and accomodating. Hilton in house keeping did amazing job with our room. I will definitely recommend this hotel. Its also very close to airport, Old San Juan, etc.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind words and for recognizing Irene and Hilton! We are fortunate to have them on our team. Thank you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!