“Beautiful view, great service, wonderful concierge!”

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
El Paso, Texas
“Beautiful view, great service, wonderful concierge!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed a week at the Intercontinental hotel in San Juan and had an amazing trip. Hotel was clean, had a lot to offer, and is in a good location to the tourist night life. It also was on the beach as well as had a very beautiful pool. While we loved our stay, we did encounter a couple of things. The courtyard area by the pool was under construction and created a slight hassle, as well as one day the power went out and the elevators stopped functioning. They had back-up generators, however again it was a slight hassle, None of which will prevent me from coming back. The rooms are a bit smaller than you think from the pictures, but if you're doing vacation right, you shouldn't be in the room too much! The amenities in the hotel are high priced as well including the dining, but dang! That food was delicious!

I have to say the best part of our stay was the concierge Nestor. We came with ideas of what we wanted to do, however nothing set in stone. Nestor helped us plan our whole week and helped keep it at an affordable rate. If staying at the Intercontinental, I highly suggest paying him a visit to help you decide what you want to do during your stay. But be sure to leave him a well-deserved tip!

Overall, it was a wonderful stay and I suggest it to anyone who can afford it! Isla Verde is definitely a tourist location, but a wonderful place to spend a relaxing vacation.

-Joshua and Sehler.

• Stayed June 2014
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Joshua and Sehler, thank you very much for your positive comments about our staff and our property. We are glad that you enjoyed our service levels and restaurants. We greatly appreciate your understanding regarding the elevators as we are upgrading them in order to offer a better service to our guests. Thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
  • Finnish first
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and we LOVED every moment of it. The room was average but VERY CLEAN with a beautiful balcony looking at the ocean, It was absolutely beautiful and picturesque. The grounds was very nice well manicured and the pool area quiet, relaxing and clean! Swim up bar fully stocked and great service. I will say the prices are high.. $30+ for breakfast a day :( and drinks are fairly expensive BUT its vacation and kind of expected. It does cause for you to eat locally BUT there are many local places to eat if trying to budget... all local and within safe distance of the hotel. My husband went for another stay last year with friends and loved it just the same. Next week we will be going back for a THIRD stay for 6 nights with the kids this time and expect another great stay as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quia82
Thank your for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our facilities, service and cleanliness. Regarding the rooms and the lobby, we have recently remodeled them and we hope that you visit us soon to enjoy the improvements that we have done to our property. We are pretty sure that your experience is going to be greater. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Montgomery, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great location on Isla Verde. The end of the beach, so there is less traffic than the middle. Nice beach chairs and service with a beach bar at the end of the property for easy access. The pool here is great also. It's large and has it's own bar as well. It winds around with bridges etc, so there is plenty of space to put chairs close to the water and no need to fight for the "first row" like many other hotels.

The rooms are good size and the AC works well. Beds have updated linens and are quite comfortable. Bathrooms have a separate mirrored area, so someone can put on makeup while someone else showers. Wifi works well too.

The lobby has recently been refurbished and has a nice indoor/outdoor bar.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel and certainly better for children then some of the other higher rated hotels on Isla Verde.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank txsoccerref
Dear txsoccerref, it is great to hear that you liked our facilities, our staff and that you found our location convenient. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Muir, Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The InterContinental San Juan was top notch in all areas. Conveniently located within walking distance to everything you need. The party store across the street is very convenient. As soon as we checked into are room we walked over and bought cases of beer and snacks. Several places to eat walking in either direction. I suggest the Mexican place that has an outside wrap around deck not to far down on the left as you exit the hotel. The restaurant at the hotel was excellent as well as the food at the outside bars, there are 3 of them. :) The pool area is outstanding with several different secluded areas to relax. They have a hot tub, kiddie area which is nice to just lay in and get some sun and a waterfall area. The beach is right there, you walk to it from the pool area and it's clean and beautiful. The rooms were clean and housekeeping were friendly and accommodating. All the staff from the front desk, wait staff, doors men, bartenders, etc. where all accommodating. We took a taxi to Old San Juan (wear comfy shoes, lots of walking up hills and on bricks) and it was beautiful, lots to see, tons of shops, I'm not into shopping, I went for one reason and that was to try the Pina Colada at the Barrachina Restaurant where the drink originated. It/they were fabulous, you can't drink just one, you must have one. We also took a taxi to the mall, it was huge, 2 stories with every store you can think of. We all planned to go to Luminous Bay and the Rain Forrest but never made it but that's okay, gives me a reason to vacation here again and we will. This was a girls trip and we LOVED it. Oh, and they have a casino, actually every hotel we visited had a casino. I had a little problem at the casino when I entered a ticket into the slot machine and it didn't register. My ticket was $248.00 and the slot attendant wouldn't believe me because it wasn't registering on the screen. He opened the machine and no ticket was stuck but they go into a metal box inside the machine and I was told they didn't have keys to open those. I refused to leave and asked for a manager. He came over and I explained again what happen and he said the same as the other guy. I refused to accept that answer and told them to look on the cameras. I think they thought I was to drunk to put up a fight about it but I knew exactly what I had. They reviewed the tapes and found the last machine I was on prior to and it stated I cashed out for $248. I had to open my purse/wallet to prove I didn't stick my ticket in there. I was told I could file paperwork to be reimbursed when they balanced the machine. I told them if I can do that, so can they and he agreed. Finally they gave me my cash. I wasn't to happy about that entire situation so I suggest that you cash slot tickets at the cashier window and not insert them into the slots or cashout machine. Other than that, everything was terrific. The San Juan Resort just down the street to the left has a great night club, lots of entertainment and action. Good times. I want to thank all the staff at the InterContinental for being so inviting and pleasant. We will see you again soon.

Room Tip: Pool or Ocean side has beautiful views. Opposite side has the view of the street and you can see th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keli E
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for reviewing our property. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our facilities, location and service. But most importantly, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at the Casino. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our Casino Managers to take corrective actions and avoid this happens in the future. Your comments are very important for us and we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you during your next visit to Puerto Rico.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The pool area and beach is very nice. Plenty of shade and plenty of lounge chairs make the pool very welcoming. The restaurants on-site are pricey. There are plenty of dining options within walking distance. The rooms are average. They seem pretty used and abused. Even the junior suites are absolutely nothing to write home about. Cleanliness is average. The gym is very, very nice and overlooks the ocean. The staff think this is a five star hotel and act rather snooty at times.

Room Tip: Walk to La Playita for dinner and drinks
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was our first time in Puerto Rico. The service was excellent, the bell men, the front desk, and the cleaning crew. Everyone is very helpful, especially the concierge, Nestor Colon, who made our visit very memorable, not to mention very inexpensive. Everything he suggested was great, he really knows his way around the island. The pool area is huge, beautiful, and very well kept. The beach is clean and there is a lot to do within a walking distance from the hotel. We would definitely return to this hotel if we return to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jose C
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our staff. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about Nestor, we are fortunate to have him on our team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed for 3 nights on a girls trip. We felt safe and loved the location. The bell men were by far the nicest employees at the hotel. Our room was beautiful with an amazing ocean view. The beach was lovely although paying for an umbrella was disappointing. Our main complaint was that we were charged a daily" resort fee" that several employees had trouble explaining to us. One told us it covered shampoo and conditioner?? If you book through Orbitz, be prepared to be billed $20-30 a day. Overall, it was a good experience but I think I'd try another hotel if I go back to PR.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank 655KatieM655
Dear 655KatieM655, thank you very much for taking the time to review our property. We are glad to know that you liked our location, facilities and service. Regarding your complaint, please accept our apologies for any inconveniences caused due to the information provided in respect to the resort fee. Please note that it includes the following: internet access, ping pong pool, foosball, pool and beach chaise lounges, coffee and tea in room, access to fitness center, pool towels, live weekend entertainment at the Casino Lounge, access to business center services and luggage storage.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back during your next trip to Puerto Rico.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!