“Difficult to grade this hotel. It gets a 4* rating from me.” 4 of 5 bubbles

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reston, Virginia
“Difficult to grade this hotel. It gets a 4* rating from me.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel in San Juan. I am having difficulty rating this hotel.I have to rate different aspects of this hotel separately. I give the room, sleep comfort and cleanliness 4 stars. The bathroom is old and completely outdated with a single small wash basin, old tub, old toilet bowl and an ugly shower curtain getting only 1 star. There was black mold around the shower.
The common areas get 4 stars and the bathrooms in the common areas get 5 stars. The garden, pools and the beach are great. The staff with the exception of the young lady who checked us in on the first day who seemed to be mad at the world were great and clearly deserve a 5 star and probably better rating. Breakfast at the hotel was expensive but there are plenty of restaurants close to the hotel one can go to eat. The rug on the stairs leading the lobby to the lower lobby is very worn and is splitting in certain areas. It could potentially be a falling hazard. I give this hotel a four star rating. It could become a 5 star rated hotel with some renovation. The elevators are in need of modernization. They are very slow and one of the three was being repaired during the time we were there.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms which are on the lower levels are perfectly fine. They are less costly that t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Farhad A
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are glad that you liked the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms and our common areas. Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations in all the areas and rest assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments in order to identify areas of improvement. Regarding the elevators we are upgrading them in order to provide you and all our guests a greater experience.
Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Finnish first
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We were here June 4-7 with my family and had the perfect vacation. I traveled with my husband, 3 yr old daughter, my parents and my sister, bro in law and 2 yr old nephew and we were all thrilled with the service, food, rooms and staff! We rented cabanas at the pool each day and it was money well spent. Jaders, Pedro and Ephran (all pool side) were fun, friendly and great at their job! They also each gave great Old San Juan restaurant recommendations. We will 100% be back at this resort again!
P.S.
We stayed on the 12th fl, awesome ocean views
Beach was perfect
Ate at every restaurant except Ruth chris, and they were all great
Concierge and spa were also wonderful

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear mfee1094, thank you for your great comments. We are happy to read that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us and that you found friendly our staff. It was a pleasure for us to make your stay a memorable one. We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

The hotel Staff were great, unfortunatetly there was an elevator out of service most of my stay which was sort of a burden. The room did not have a fridge or a microwave, these 2 items would have been of great use since there are so many restaurants in the area that you can bring left overs back. I had a room on the 4th Floor. the view was a garden view which was not bad at all.

The issue I had was the room was in front of the elevators, so you could hear every conversation by anyone waiting for the elevator.

If you need any assistance the concierge desk staff are great for info. But my point of information was with William the Doorman, this gentleman is fabulous, he makes you feel like family instead of a guest.

I would stay at this hotel again just on a higher floor, and away from the elevators. The prices for food are some what high priced. but please dont let this stop you from visiting this very nice hotel. And what ever you do ask William for any information ont he area this man is a walking directory.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Juan G
Thank you so much for your positive comments. We are happy to read that you had a wonderful experience during your stay with us and that you enjoyed our facilities and service levels. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the elevators as we are doing some enhancements in order to improve the service we delivered to our guests. Regarding the fridge, please note that this is available also upon request and that for safety reasons we are not able to provide microwaves for use in room. We greatly appreciate your comments and please rest assured that they have been shared with our team. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed a week at the Intercontinental hotel in San Juan and had an amazing trip. Hotel was clean, had a lot to offer, and is in a good location to the tourist night life. It also was on the beach as well as had a very beautiful pool. While we loved our stay, we did encounter a couple of things. The courtyard area by the pool was under construction and created a slight hassle, as well as one day the power went out and the elevators stopped functioning. They had back-up generators, however again it was a slight hassle, None of which will prevent me from coming back. The rooms are a bit smaller than you think from the pictures, but if you're doing vacation right, you shouldn't be in the room too much! The amenities in the hotel are high priced as well including the dining, but dang! That food was delicious!

I have to say the best part of our stay was the concierge Nestor. We came with ideas of what we wanted to do, however nothing set in stone. Nestor helped us plan our whole week and helped keep it at an affordable rate. If staying at the Intercontinental, I highly suggest paying him a visit to help you decide what you want to do during your stay. But be sure to leave him a well-deserved tip!

Overall, it was a wonderful stay and I suggest it to anyone who can afford it! Isla Verde is definitely a tourist location, but a wonderful place to spend a relaxing vacation.

-Joshua and Sehler.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Joshua and Sehler, thank you very much for your positive comments about our staff and our property. We are glad that you enjoyed our service levels and restaurants. We greatly appreciate your understanding regarding the elevators as we are upgrading them in order to offer a better service to our guests. Thank you for your honest feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Edgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Myself and my husband stayed at this hotel 2 years ago and we LOVED every moment of it. The room was average but VERY CLEAN with a beautiful balcony looking at the ocean, It was absolutely beautiful and picturesque. The grounds was very nice well manicured and the pool area quiet, relaxing and clean! Swim up bar fully stocked and great service. I will say the prices are high.. $30+ for breakfast a day :( and drinks are fairly expensive BUT its vacation and kind of expected. It does cause for you to eat locally BUT there are many local places to eat if trying to budget... all local and within safe distance of the hotel. My husband went for another stay last year with friends and loved it just the same. Next week we will be going back for a THIRD stay for 6 nights with the kids this time and expect another great stay as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quia82
Thank your for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your kind words about our facilities, service and cleanliness. Regarding the rooms and the lobby, we have recently remodeled them and we hope that you visit us soon to enjoy the improvements that we have done to our property. We are pretty sure that your experience is going to be greater. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Montgomery, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

Great location on Isla Verde. The end of the beach, so there is less traffic than the middle. Nice beach chairs and service with a beach bar at the end of the property for easy access. The pool here is great also. It's large and has it's own bar as well. It winds around with bridges etc, so there is plenty of space to put chairs close to the water and no need to fight for the "first row" like many other hotels.

The rooms are good size and the AC works well. Beds have updated linens and are quite comfortable. Bathrooms have a separate mirrored area, so someone can put on makeup while someone else showers. Wifi works well too.

The lobby has recently been refurbished and has a nice indoor/outdoor bar.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel and certainly better for children then some of the other higher rated hotels on Isla Verde.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank txsoccerref
Dear txsoccerref, it is great to hear that you liked our facilities, our staff and that you found our location convenient. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope you will come back and visit us soon!
Muir, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

The InterContinental San Juan was top notch in all areas. Conveniently located within walking distance to everything you need. The party store across the street is very convenient. As soon as we checked into are room we walked over and bought cases of beer and snacks. Several places to eat walking in either direction. I suggest the Mexican place that has an outside wrap around deck not to far down on the left as you exit the hotel. The restaurant at the hotel was excellent as well as the food at the outside bars, there are 3 of them. :) The pool area is outstanding with several different secluded areas to relax. They have a hot tub, kiddie area which is nice to just lay in and get some sun and a waterfall area. The beach is right there, you walk to it from the pool area and it's clean and beautiful. The rooms were clean and housekeeping were friendly and accommodating. All the staff from the front desk, wait staff, doors men, bartenders, etc. where all accommodating. We took a taxi to Old San Juan (wear comfy shoes, lots of walking up hills and on bricks) and it was beautiful, lots to see, tons of shops, I'm not into shopping, I went for one reason and that was to try the Pina Colada at the Barrachina Restaurant where the drink originated. It/they were fabulous, you can't drink just one, you must have one. We also took a taxi to the mall, it was huge, 2 stories with every store you can think of. We all planned to go to Luminous Bay and the Rain Forrest but never made it but that's okay, gives me a reason to vacation here again and we will. This was a girls trip and we LOVED it. Oh, and they have a casino, actually every hotel we visited had a casino. I had a little problem at the casino when I entered a ticket into the slot machine and it didn't register. My ticket was $248.00 and the slot attendant wouldn't believe me because it wasn't registering on the screen. He opened the machine and no ticket was stuck but they go into a metal box inside the machine and I was told they didn't have keys to open those. I refused to leave and asked for a manager. He came over and I explained again what happen and he said the same as the other guy. I refused to accept that answer and told them to look on the cameras. I think they thought I was to drunk to put up a fight about it but I knew exactly what I had. They reviewed the tapes and found the last machine I was on prior to and it stated I cashed out for $248. I had to open my purse/wallet to prove I didn't stick my ticket in there. I was told I could file paperwork to be reimbursed when they balanced the machine. I told them if I can do that, so can they and he agreed. Finally they gave me my cash. I wasn't to happy about that entire situation so I suggest that you cash slot tickets at the cashier window and not insert them into the slots or cashout machine. Other than that, everything was terrific. The San Juan Resort just down the street to the left has a great night club, lots of entertainment and action. Good times. I want to thank all the staff at the InterContinental for being so inviting and pleasant. We will see you again soon.

Room Tip: Pool or Ocean side has beautiful views. Opposite side has the view of the street and you can see th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Keli E
Thank you for your recent stay with us and for reviewing our property. We greatly appreciate your positive comments about our facilities, location and service. But most importantly, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at the Casino. Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with our Casino Managers to take corrective actions and avoid this happens in the future. Your comments are very important for us and we sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you during your next visit to Puerto Rico.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,543 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!