“can't beat the location!”

InterContinental San Juan
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights & had an awesome visit! This is our 3rd time to the San Juan Intercontinental, much credit goes to the staff at the poolside bar: Pedro, Mara & Monica! They gave us great recommendations on food & fun as well as kept us laughing!! The hotel is very nice & the remodel of the lounge made it even better!! We enjoyed the steak house & Japanese restaurants on site as well. We'll be back!

Room Tip: worth the price for the ocean view room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tfausy
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you very much for being a loyal guest and for sharing with us your feedback about your experience at our property. I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed the service levels that InterContinental Brand is known for and that our Akua Bar staff were able to assist you and satisfied your needs. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you soon. It will be our pleasure to have you here again

Write a ReviewReviews (2,799)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the InterContinental being lazy and enjoying the sun. Overall, it was a pleasant stay with a friendly staff. The resort didn't shine, in my opinion, but I didn't dislike it. There's plenty to be warned about though.

We stayed in a Laguna view room on the 15th floor. "Laguna View" means that you're facing the street and the airport. I actually liked it, but do know that if you're looking up rooms. It was quite and comfortable. There is supposedly free wifi, but it often didn't work and every day at 5 pm the wireless router was turned off for 30 minutes. I wouldn't depend on it, but I also didn't really want to be on a computer anyways.

In our entire stay the elevator never actually worked. We did meet our neighbors while waiting for 20 minutes on the 15th floor for a ride down. We discovered the service elevator and used that every day. No one seemed to mind, it always worked, and never with more than a few minutes wait. It wasn't just the elevators though, the entire hotel seemed to be under construction. Workers running around, laughing, and talking loudly redoing the grout work near the pool, laying manure for the flowers next to the pool, accidentally turning the sprinklers on pointed at people reading by the pool. It wasn't enough to ruin the experience but enough to make me wonder if I should have received a discount.

The breakfast buffet purchased with the room was nice. There was an omlette station and lots of great food to choose from. It's much cheaper if you purchase in advance with the room at about $30 per day (for two). If you buy on the spot its $54. The billing setup was weird though. We paid in advance, and then they had us pay again every morning only to be reimbursed at the end of the trip. I was pretty uncomfortable with this, but didn't have any problems at checkout. It does create a social pressure to tip the guy when you thought you had already paid in full. I'm all for tipping, but the experience felt like double paying with a vague uncertainty if I'd have problems on checkout.

The beach was very nice. It is a public beach, but I felt safe, comfortable, and love the access.

The clientele at the resort was interesting. Speaking of the beaches, it's not the locals who abuse it, it's the resort goers. Cigarettes and empty cups in the sand were left behind by entitled guests and weren't cleaned up. We had a similar experience near the pool where I was surprised to see people smoking and then tossing their cigarettes on the ground. On the first couple of days the resort had a very rough crowd. Apparently there was some sort of music show and there were rap "artists" who had been comped rooms near the pool. The days they were there they were yelling, fighting, swearing, throwing tables and once threatened to shoot each other. The hotel very indiscreetly had 5 security guards following them from a distance but never removed them. I felt unsafe enough to talk to the front desk, but again, just guards following them everywhere. Once the long local holiday weekend was over the resort was much safer and more comfortable.

My review is highly negative. We actually enjoyed our stay, but perhaps it was in spit of the resort and not because of it. If it's within your price range and fits your plans I'd give it a thumbs up. I wouldn't recommended paying for any upgraded packages and I probably wouldn't return myself.

Room Tip: The upper floors have really bad wifi access
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Luke D

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed review about your experience at the InterContinental San Juan. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed our service levels. But most importantly, I would like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention and I regret any discomfort caused you might have experienced.

In respect to the elevators, it is important to mention that we are currently upgrading one of them for the future enjoyment of our guests. Please note that in order to mitigate any impact on guests waiting time we have enabled our service elevators for guest's use. We apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused and hope to welcome you back so that you may experience the upgrades.

Thank you again for your honest feedback and we hope you give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future and show you that this is not usual for our hotel.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Our room was dirty, from the bathroom to the carpet. Different types of hair in the bathroom, chunks of lipstick on the tile floor. Hair pins and sea shells on the carpet. We got another room, but the glasses from both rooms smelled of bleach, which was very concerning. Finally make it to the pool bar with both our children, ordered them an orange juice and it was rancid. This was just the first day. I was contacted by letter by one of the managers apologizing for the first day, and she left her contact information. I emailed her to tell her about the orange juice and our concern for the lack of quality control displayed, but never got a response. The food was mediocre; service at the restaurants was lacking most of the time. On another day, we had to leave the pool abruptly because a group of people brought their own music to the pool and began to play very vulgar music; not only were our young children present, but others as well. We informed the staff at the pool; when we came back an hour or so later, it was still playing. So we informed the front desk. When we returned in the evening, several hours later, it was still playing. We thought staying at an Intercontinental would ensure a worry free stay, unfortunately, we were wrong. It's a shame, the premises are very nice and right on the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank MonicaN75

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental San Juan as your host during your recent visit to Puerto Rico. We are very disappointed to learn that your stay was not a complete success, and we would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

Earning each and every guest’s future loyalty by providing them with unmatched accommodations and service is of paramount importance to the InterContinental San Juan; therefore, if there is anything we can do to earn your loyalty please do not hesitate to contact us directly at icsanjuan@ihg.com. We would value your patronage and we would love to have another opportunity to show you that this is not usual for our hotel.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We just got home from PR and stayed several nights at La Concha and then a few nights at Intercontinental and we enjoyed both for different reasons. Intercontinental was a beautiful clean property.
The rooms were spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. We stayed in the club rooms off the pool on the first floor and we loved it. Really nice settee on the porch and the room was very clean. The bathroom is small and the tub could use updating but I don't mind that. The beach was clean and loved eating at the restaurant by the pool, the service was very good in all aspects except the person that check us in at the priority club desk, the first woman was really nice at the regular desk but the other desk she was cold and not very friendly which is unusual for intercontinental.

The casino was small so we and didn't have a lot of slots we like so we ended up somewhere else.

As far as drink and food pricing it is right in line with the other resorts and actually a little cheaper than La concha for some drinks. If you are staying at higher end hotels expect to pay the price. I recommend paying the extra for the club rooms the lounge is nice with good selections of food and drinks in a relaxing atmosphere.

We will come back for sure!

Room Tip: Choose a club room if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank katAtl

Thank you for choosing to stay at the InterContinental San Juan and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. It is always a great pleasure to hear from satisfied guests as this motivates us to continue creating Great Hotels Guests Love.

We also truly appreciate that you have so graciously allowed us the opportunity to learn about your recent experience with a member of our Front Desk staff and we also appreciate the suggestions and feedback you have provided. Please be assured that we do take feedback seriously, and we will look into them accordingly.

Thank you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and I were very satisfied with The Intercontinental Hotel. Especially, how efficient Hilton was in keeping our room clean and maintained throughout our stay. It was a nice touch to come back with a transformed towel display into an elephant or a swan , graciously positioned on the bed, along with a quick note to have a great day! The world would be such a better place if only everyone did a little extra and paid it forward.

Room Tip: Ocean view room was wonderful,
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anna W
InterContinental_SJU, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental San Juan, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you very much for your positive review and for recognizing Hilton. We are glad to know that your experience with us was a great one and that our staff made your 15 your anniversary even more special. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I forgot to mention the spa on my earlier review, I had a couple of wonderful treatments at the spa, Ms Haidee gave me one of the best massages I have ever had and really helped me with an issue I have with my shoulder, thanks you so much, I really appreciated the effort you put forth to,provide outstanding service .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Tasackett

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Akua Spa. We are very happy to read that the treatment you received exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the professionalism of our staff. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My (now) fiancé surprised me and proposed on our first trip to Puerto Rico. Little did I know, Nestor, the lead concierge at the Intercontinental, was helping my fiancé and my family make this trip so special before we even arrived! Nestor went above and beyond to make this the best trip of our lives by greeting us with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, helping my mother upgrade our room, and guiding us through every excursion and dinner reservation. He and his staff greeted us by name daily and we were congratulated throughout the entire trip by everyone. We really cannot thank Nestor enough - thank you to the moon and back!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Emily D

thank you for your great review! We are happy to read that your stay was a memorable one and that Nestor and our staff made your time with us even greater. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde
#3 of 13 in Isla Verde
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental San Juan? Share your experiences!