“The good compensates fir the bad!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Ponce
“The good compensates fir the bad!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I had a really overall great experience in this hotel. It was a gift for my mom for Mother's day. The furniture need repair and the a/c sometimes was a little crazy. Great ambiance, complementary breakfast buffet and happy hour with unlimited beverages every day which is pretty awesome. The staff is really nice and hepful. Walgreen's and fast food joints at walking distance and great restaurants plus the beach is nearby. Casino and an Outback Steakhouse inside with a beautiful inside garden. I would definitely comeback!

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Let me start by saying that the beach is a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. They offer free breakfast buffet everyday, and for the adults, there is free cocktails every evening from 5:30-7-30 pm unlimited!!! The rooms are just ok, not bad nor great but convenient if you have children. The lighting is rather dim so you'll have to way out the pros and cons to see if this works for you. There are two restaurants in the hotel which are decent if you choose not to venture out to far. We didn't use the pool since the beach was so close by but it looked welcoming.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank brightsmile1
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Nice property - convenient to a lot of dining. Front desk people were somewhat surly and rude upon check-in. Our room very spacious and pool area immaculate. Property is terrific and it is a nice perk to have daily happy hour and breakfast--not a lot of choices to eat for the freebies but the cocktails are nice! Would easily stay here again.

Room Tip: The restaurants, even the fast food chains are predominantly Spanish speaking - not like those on th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Everything about this hotel is great. It is across from the airport. I am a Hilton Honors member and stay at Embassy Suites because they are all pretty much designed the same way - minimum 1 BR Suite. You would think that with the casino in house, the rooms would be a little noisy - not the case - noise was never an issue. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was awesome. I love coffee and absolutely loved having PR strength coffee and warmed milk. The location was perfect. Very close to the beach - you walk across the street - about 4 blocks away. Some tips: don't spend $20 plus dollars on a taxi - the bus/trolly cost is under $4 roundtrip - I think it is 5A or 5 that brings you back. In Old San Juan, look for the bus terminal that is very close to the police station. YOGUN FRUZ - AWESOME. It is a Canadian company - there is one close to the hotel and another in Old San Juan - heaven awaits in a frozen treat!

Room Tip: Know what you like. If you want to be close to the pool communicate that on your reservation. I li...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was exactly what it looks like in pictures. Beautiful and very comfortable. I stayed in a king suite (basically a one bedroom suite), lovely. 2 large LG flatscreens, large modern bathroom, microwave, fridge, sink, dining area and couch. Room even had a window that looks out to the inside (yes inside) of the hotel by the door. This hotel presents itself well. 18% resort fee but there is free hot breakfast everyday. I stayed on a Sat night, they let me check in early with no early check in fee. There was also free drinks with chips and salsa that evening. I enjoyed my stay here and would not only recommend this place but I love to stay here again on my next visit. My only complaint would be to make sure the floors are cleaned better in bathroom and bedroom and also the countertop areas near the TV, minor stuff. But the staff was great and hotel worth the money. Not on the beach but nearby. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We were traveling with 7 adults and 2 kids.The outside is beautiful and the grounds are well maintained. When I walked in, the inside is an atrium style hotel and its gorgeous, you can hear the Coquis chirping in the small little make shift ponds surrounding the walk ways.

The night front desk staff wasn't as pleasant as i thought, having worked in a hotel and been in customer service type of positions for 10+ years, I was disappointed. However, they had our hotels.com reservations and accommodated my request of a room above the 4th floor away from the casino and poolside view (which I found that room tip on tripadvisor) My hotel suite was probably a little on the smaller side, but it worked for me and my husband as we barely stayed in our room for our 8 night stay.The furnishings are dated, but I am not a huge stickler on stuff like that. However, the bed was comfortable, a bit to soft for my taste but cozy non the less.

The pool is amazing! It's a lagoon style pool and has a waterfall (its beautiful at night with the lights). My only compliant was that is closed at 10pm. The kids side is a nice touch considering i was on vacation with my 3 year old, and the poolside floaties for the kids was a definite bonus. The jacuzzi was nice. The pool side bar was nice and having the music playing while the bar is open is a plus, its gets you in the island mood with a mix of everything. I was especially drawn in by the pool table! The arcade is nice for the kids, however not much selection for younger kids. The gym is nice and maintained and the laundry facilities were convenient.

The morning breakfast was adequate, but go earlier to avoid a mad rush to the cooked to order station. The managers reception (happy hour) was definitely worth it! Julio is awesome, tip the bartenders and they will pack a punch for you! Maria was extremely friendly! The line sometimes gets long, but you will wait no more than 3-8 minutes (it usually is because the person ordering has no clue what to get). If you like to gamble definitely try the casino on the grounds, they have hundreds of slots but I liked the roulette table and Carlos and Raphael were awesome and cracked jokes all night. On Fridays and Saturdays there is a live band and people dancing on the dance floor.

The beach is a short walk away from the hotel. If your complaining that its to far then stay at a hotel that is on the beach. Tip if you head down to the beach before you hit the sand take that left down the roadway and Embassy suites area is at the end of the road (you will save your feet from walking in the sand).

The 3 restaurants on premises were a bit on the pricey side. Your best bet is to go to the little plaza down the street from the hotel and try Mi Casita and or head down toward the beach to the small dive bars for cheap eats and good drinks.

I loved the fact that if you were bored in your room you could always head to downstairs and grab a table and if you were like us, brought down our own bottle, dominoes and played.

I don't get why so many reviewers said the area was not safe. We walked around late at night and no worries, no one bothered us.

Overall this hotel is the most bang for your buck. If your content with having a good time and not worried about all the little things, this hotel is definitely for you!

*Marisol the GM was so nice! When our family was headed to the pool she stopped what she was doing and greeted us and talked with us for a few. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Casino and pool view (we were in the corner 519-522) and we had a great...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Ontario, California
Reviewed 11 May 2014

There were so many travel delays that a 5 hour trip to the hotel took almost 25 hours from Philadelphia but my my friend arrived before me from Halifax Nova Scotia. I called early that morning and spoke with Aisha and she was very helpful and sweet. She said no problem and checked her into the hotel. I booked my room through Hilton since I am a Hilton Honors member. I paid for the "High Floor room" and when she arrived she was put into a regular room that was cheaper. The "concierge desk (Christina) was curt, rude with a scowl, non-helpful and everytime you called downstairs you never got anyone to answer the phone. After having left messages to return the call I finally went downstairs and found her reading a magazine and the message light on. The bad part was because she didn't answer or return the call we missed the 10:30am (only departure) to Old San Juan. It only left the option to cab it and walk away on a non-tour excursion. I have been to many hotels around the world with Hilton with impeccable service. I apologize I can't remember our housekeeper's name but she was deaf and so amazing and sweet. Also, Caesar the gentleman at the beach who handles the chairs and umbrellas was probably one of the hardest working, great hotel associates I have EVER seen and/or met. The winds were at 10-15 mph with gusts of up to 20. It was 92 degrees and that man fought the wind and dug holes with a shovel in the sand to accomodate the guests. Watching him pay close attention to the families with children (babies) to ensure they had umbrellas up quickly was so admirable. I have NO idea what this man makes but whatever it is he deserves more. My stay was 5 nights/6 days. I can honestly after the LONG extra bad winter we had I was so looking forward to the getaway. If you need internet to peruse activities take your own hotspot the internet is ridiulous. It's a good thing it was complimentary. I guess since it's free it doesn't have to be good. In my over 12 years of being a Hilton Honor member this is only the 2nd bad review I have ever left. If you want a stress-free relaxing vacation without stresses and use Hilton try using one of their others. I will be returning in September and will not be using this hotel.

Room Tip: Perhaps because it was an island but the water pressure of the showers was less than a drizzle rain...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear sonjasalong:

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very glad some members of our staff were able to provide you the exceptional level of service you deserve. We will make sure they are aware of your recognition. However, I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the overall quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are sorry we let the ball drop. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Aixa Berrios
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!