“very pleased!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After reading so many complaints and bad reviews about embassy suites San Juan I was very
Reluctant. I called my travel agent several times about being displeased with the selection.
My arrival- less then 10 minute ride from airport, every staff in the hotel pleasant, room absolutely clean, free breakfast and free family happy hour.. (drinks for adults, Popcorn and nachos for kids) - surrounded by restaurants and a easy 5 minute walk to a beautiful beach... everyone friendly and happy. Also Housekeeper Maria, wonderful woman- she surprise my girlfriend with a slice of cake, bottle of wine nicely wrapped and a card for her birthday.. simply wonderful! If I had any complaints it would be the card (key) to the room and elevator- a little slow. Overall great place to stay while visiting San Juan....

Room Tip: Arrival early
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lena D
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Lena D:

What a wonderful review! I am so glad to see you were satisfied with the service you received. I will share your comments with Maria.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Overall, the hotel is average. It's located a block off the main street, which can be a good thing. Pool is decent. I like that there is a bedroom separate from the rest of the rooms. However, the pull out sofa beds are just terrible. The mattresses are paper thin at best. I had to end up taking the mattress cover from the king size bed in the bedroom and putting it on the pull out sofa so my kids will not hurt their backs. It probably would just have been taking the thin mattress and placing it on the floor of the living room instead of sleeping on the springy/barred sofa pullout.

The king size bed was not the greatest for my husband back either. He ended up sleeping on the floor which he said was much better for him.

Wish the gym was bigger, but do-able I guess. It contained one stationary bicycle, 2 treadmills that were out of order for a few days, 2 elliptical machines, a weight machine and several weights and mats. I managed overall.

The hotel does have a few really good things about it. First off, FULL breakfast every morning. This is a big deal especially if you're traveling with kids. Everything from pancakes, waffles, cold cereals, hot cereals, sausage, bacon, etc. Every morning the chefs made a different type of hot cereal, e.g. oatmeal, cornstarch, farina... They were absolutely delicious! So whoever the cook behind the hot cereals, KUDOS to you! The kitchen workers were awesome too. I asked a female worker if they had any hard boiled eggs. She asked me where I was sitting. About 15 minutes later, she came with two hot hard boiled eggs for me. That was so nice! I hate that I didn't get her name so I can praise her in this review.

The little store in the lobby by the pool entry, that was a good spot too. Pretty decent iced lattes and coffees were available, as well as reasonably priced snacks and foods.

Lastly the restaurant/bar, El Patio, is pretty good, would even say outstanding. One evening my sister-in-law and I ordered the Chicken Trifongo, Awe man that was so tasty!!! My mouth is watering as I write this. My brothers had other meals and appetizers and they loved it all. Simple menu too!

Overall was there with other family so made the stay and trip worth it. For me, the positives outweighed the negatives overall.

4  Thank mriveraocasio
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear mriveraocasi:

Thank for your your review. It's fantastic to hear that your family had a great time during your stay with us. Thank you also for sharing your comments about the service you received from our team members at the complimentary breakfast, I agree with you a 100%, they are the best! I apologize for the inconvenience you had with the beds in your room. I already shared your comments with our Housekeeping Director.

Please come back soon, our Chicken Trifongo will be waiting for you!

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed with my girlfriend back in June for a few nights and really enjoyed it...

The Good: Good choice of breakfast amenities in the morning... Hand made omelets for you! Beds were very soft and the rooms were clean! The pool was very nice and relaxing!

The Bad: Lines!!! In the afternoon the lines were so long to get one of their free drinks that it would take you 15-20mins to make it up front... I understand they would make you about anything but I found just going to the pay bar and ponying up a ten spot was a heck of a lot easier!

In the morning, unless you go really early, the line for requesting the hand made omelets was very long also!

Overall I would stay there again! You are a few blocks from the beach and other than a few shops you need to walk some ways for the nightlife. I liked the fact that the garage was just next door and you could come and go all day and only pay a single price. The hotel is starting to show it's age but it was clean and done up nicely!

1  Thank Scott H
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I just returned from a trip to San Juan and spent 5 nights at the Embassy Suites Hotel and Casino(8 of us were traveling ages 1-43). Upon our arrival, we were told the room that we booked was a smoking room and we would not want that, so we were being put into two separate rooms. I was disappointed, but having booked through expedia, I understood things like this happened. The front desk staff was very accommodating, and soon gave us keys to our new rooms. We were disappointed they were not adjoining rooms, and requested a room change the next morning. Again, the front desk was very courteous and arranged adjoining rooms for us. One of the sofa beds was broken and the front desk staff replaced it as soon as we asked. It was a little disheartening that we kept having problems but at least the front desk was courteous and helpful.
The hotel overall was nice but had a musky smell.
The breakfast was delicious and well worth the long lines. Plan about 15-20 minute wait regardless if you go through the buffet line or the made to order omelet line.
Managers reception was the best part. The give you two drinks at a time and the bartenders were lots of fun!
The casino was very small and not very exciting. I never saw anyone winning and would skip it altogether if I were you.
The pool area was very nice and lit up at night. On a couple of the nights, there was even a DJ, which was fun.
The area around the hotel was pretty shabby. I was looking forward to a tropical beach vacation and was disappointed. Isla Verde beach was a five minute walk from Embassy and was a pretty clean beach with clear water. The five minute walk, though, wasn't through the nicest part of town:(
Overall the hotel was ok. Super close to the airport and right off the highway that leads to just about everything (Old San Juan, Rain Forest, Ect.).

I hope this helps!

3  Thank Christine E
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed here with my two small kids and husband. This was an unplanned last minute stay as it was getting late and to go back to where we are staying was far.When we got in to room 621 the room had a terrible smell of spoiled milk on rug.the rug looked uncleaned and room had no good clean fresh smell., the outlet was broken unsafe electrical hazard, the closet had no door knob to open, and the glass table had never been cleaned it had fingerprints that was obvious not ours. I was in shock as they are carrying the title HILTON. I went downstairs and spoke to front desk, it was a man and he just looked surprised, I asked if someone can come inspect room and freshen up. They sent a guy that brought me pillows and blankets but my issue was not addressed. I went back downstairs and this time was attended by a female who understood my concerns and told me she was changing my room. We got switched to room 616. More chaotic mess . The room smelled better, however the carpet had stains,looked nasty and sofa bed old looking the look of an old motel dirty sofa.As I went to place my drinks in fridge of room,in the fridge was food that was not ours. I was furious as I knew that they are not cleaning this hotel. I immediately went downstairs stairs and voiced how upset I was and how they charged so much for such poor quality. The girl attending the front desk apologized and told me my room will be free of charge for being so inconvenienced. To top the whole issue their was a roach crawling on the sink in living room area. Yes picture was taken. This is not a clean hotel. The environment inside appears like a run down neighborhood. Pool towels are not of good quality and bathroom towels. The clients that are staying in the hotel also seem.to contribute to how run down this hotel looks. I saw room service trays on the floor outside of the room, and pizza boxes on floor. Breakfast was long huge lines with poor quality breakfast. They need to change management because this is not an upscale hotel it should be called a motel. I highly recommend no one to stay here.this hotel is a one to two star .

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Linda R
embassysuitessanjuan, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Linda R:

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve.

We appreciate your business and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you visit San Juan so we can try to make a better impression.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Embassy Suites are always dependable and clean. Personnel were very friendly and helpful. There were some areas around the pool and patio that weren't immaculately clean, and the hot tub was broken, but on the whole the facility was kept up very well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our family of 5 (2 adults, 20, 18, 16 y/o kids) spent 3 nights here in two rooms in mid June. I chose this hotel because of previous experience with Embassy Suites and Hilton Hotels, Hilton Honors and its location near the airport and within walking distance of the beach. We usually go for beach front hotels, but were boarding a cruise in a few days and knew we would be getting plenty of beach then. I'd read the reviews and had reservations about booking here, but decided that for the price, the location and the relative amount of time I knew we would actually be spending in the room, we would take the chance.
First, the location is very close to the air port. By cab, without bags, $12, maybe a 5 minute drive. It looks like you are pulling into an alley when you arrive, but everything around seemed a little compact. The Pan American Cruise Port (I think, not absolutely sure that is the name) is about 20-25 minutes away and I believe it was $18, without bags. ($1/bag. Up to 6 people.) I'd read that there were places to eat nearby, but we didn't venture out after returning from excursions during the day.
Check in was busy and always seemed to be busy. The woman who checked us in (didn't get her name, but she was at the desk all 3 evenings) was okay. Not rude, but not really helpful and in observing her with other guests, she seemed to have a bit of an attitude (making people wait before addressing them, ignoring questions.) Maybe she was just distracted...
We'd arrived a little before check in time of 4 PM. One of the two rooms was ready and the other was ready within the hour. We were allowed to check in early, which was greatly appreciated after an early morning and long flight. We were on a "Hilton Honors" floor, one of two we saw. We knew this because there is a large sign on the front window of each suite designating it as a Hilton Honor's Floor. Other than that, we'd never known.
Our rooms were on the 8th floor-the kids' room was around the Atrium; ours was back a little side hallway. We sort of had a view of the pool and the Interstate, but it was quiet.
To reach the 8th floor, or any floor, for that matter, you had to use your key card. Unfortunately, this Embassy doesn't have normal keycards that you slide in the slots; they use the kind that you wave over the pad. The kind that work about 20% of the time and are absolutely maddening. I can't count the number of times we were on the elevator with a number of total strangers and everyone was trying to get their keycard to work. If we were lucky, one person could get their card to work, so we could select the floor and make it up. I've only stayed at a few places that use these and they are enough to cause me to not return.
The rooms themselves are in need of upgrade. Dated, yes, but that isn't a huge issue. Pealing wallpaper and cracked tile in the bathroom are signs that repairs aren't being taken care of as they should be. This hotel was extremely busy while we were there and from what I've read, tends to be busy, so I'm not sure why that hasn't happened.
Room supplies were fine-we had plenty of towels and extra blankets. Extra was delivered when we called for them without a problem. There was a safe in the room, but you have to specifically ask for the key at the front desk (and it's a real key that you have to hang on to or face a hefty fee to replace.)
The hotel offers the Manager's Reception in the evening, which was nice. Very busy, but the lines move quickly. Snacks are very basic. You must also have a bracelet on in order to be served for this or breakfast.
Breakfast was okay. Basically, the same thing every morning. Lines are ridiculously long. Only one side was open during the week (both on the weekend.) It doesn't appear the breakfast area was designed with the hotel capacity in mind. They do offer an omelet station, with one greatly overworked chef manning the station. He, alone, was the shining star of this hotel. All three mornings, this young man worked the omelet station, preparing up to 8 omelets at once. He was always polite, accurate and even had a smile at times. I hope the management appreciates what they have. The hotel desperately needs at least one additional omelet chef, if not more, to handle the crowds.
If you plan to eat breakfast here, plan to come early or plan to wait.
We didn't visit the beach or pool while we were there. We got food from a couple of the places within the hotel (Outback and a sandwich shop-both okay.) We also used the guest laundry before check out-$6 per load, plus you have to use your key card to get in. No problems there.
If I return to San Juan, I'm not sure I'd stay here, or whether I'd recommend this hotel. It has potential, but they really need to step up and fix some problems. Generally, I like Embassy Suites and have found it to be pretty reliable as far as standards. This hotel doesn't meet that standard.

Room Tip: Off the atrium, high floors
2  Thank ALJARN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dorado del Mar Beach Resort
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!