“Really friendly, welcoming atmosphere with a good location and clean amenities!”

Hotel Villa del Sol
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Saint Augustine, Florida, United States
Reviewed 23 March 2014

The hotel was very clean and accommodating, but I must say that the best part of our stay was our concierge Walter! He goes above and beyond for his guests. Anything you need Walter will get it for you. He is so kind and sweet and willing to give you as much time and attention as you need, without making you feel like you're putting him out. He made our stay 100% worth it.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank OliviaFelmly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Auburn, California
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

Booked rooms here for two nights. First night we got in to san juan and two weeks later the night before we flew out. Both rooms upstairs. First night no bug bites. No sleep either. Room was located directly above car vacuums ( they rent cars here too) and there is no possible way you will ever sleep when those things are on... And they start early. Second night, room 205. Room looked nicer than first night and was over front lobby area so we figured we'd be spared from noise. Well, no vacuum noise but woke up covered with red bite marks all over our shoulders necks and legs!! For 135 a night I don't expect fancy rooms (sure the carpet was musty and we didn't shower without flip flops) but I DO expect to sleep in a bed and not wake up covered with bug bites. If you stay here you will not get sleep and you will probably be attacked by bedbugs. It's a shame really, the place has potential. Were it not for the bug bites I'd have given it an average 2.5 rating for the price range.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank TheCatCab

Travellers are raving about these Isla Verde hotels

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed here for one night after staying in St. Croix for 3 days just to go to our favorite restaurant, Metropol, which is right across the street from the hotel. You can't beat the location, but if you're looking for something with a bit more luxury, consider staying at the Intercontinental. Check-in went smoothly, but the room had a funny smell, and the water pressure in the shower was weak. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cory P
Tennessee
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This place looked OK on paper, but was pretty much a mess. We were lucky and found a parking place, and check-in went reasonably smoothly. The room was beyond tiny. There was barely room for the bed, a dresser, a tiny TV, and a refrigerator. No chair. Tiny bathroom that actually felt big compared to the room. Two people in the same room was only possible if one was sleeping. AC unit didn't seem to cool.

Cafe was closed for dinner "I got here at eight, and wouldn't get out till 11 if I open for dinner" Breakfast was OK and reasonably priced. Wait staff didn't seem to now how to deal with a tip on the credit card. Bar was closed after 6 pm. Pool was clean.

Check out was a mess. The guy doing it looked to be a trainee, and the woman also at the desk seemed only interested in the car rental aspect of the business. He spent his time totally befuddled, waiting for her to help him, and she spent her time ignoring him.

Hotels in San Juan seemed expensive. This was a "bargain" at $120 plus. I usually don't care much about hotels, but this one was not a bargain. Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Almost any room would do, if in a different hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DrBubba
Grayling, Michigan
Reviewed 23 December 2013

After reading reviews I made a point to note in special requests we would reqire a parking space for our rental car. When arriving there was no parking available nearby, they offered us parking in the rental car(attached to the building) wash bay entrance but would have to move it by 8am? Where? Or we could leave it in a mall shopping area down the road. The car rental facility had all 4 parking spaces taken in front of motel, several alongside, and also notice half empty enclosed car rental yard located behind, we suggested squeezing into a very tight parking spot between two rentals before agrreing to check in, and after a tedious 20+ min (with reseption supervision of parking) WE were parked leagally and agreed to check in. The room very small and compact, adjacent to office, but clean. Ok for the night we ventured out for a bit. When returning I noticed the same receptionest open the gate to remove a rental that had prevented us from easy parking access adjacent to where we had sqeezed in, She had keys all along. The location was very convenient, near airport, shopping, and beach area. For the cost there are better options in the area, parking very limited, non existant, so if renting vehical in area I would pay small parking fee to better resort in area. All in all location was good, after having chance to explore are would never stay here again, but worked in a pinch for one night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christinejulias
Miami
Reviewed 1 October 2013

the worst hotel I Have Been. I do not recommend it. to start in the bathroom there was pressure water for bathing. had to use the ice bucket to fill with water and that is how we were able to take a bath. we went to the lobby and told the lady in charge that there was no pressure of water and also that there was no cold water only hot. she gave us a lame story. the carpet in the room was too dirty. the beds were supposedly queen but were actually full.the next day we told another person in the lobby of the water problem and she told us that the pressure of the water is like that in that area. another hotel employee hear what they told us he was surprise saying no with his head. I do not recommend very expensive and very poor service

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Arelis A
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel is a small, beautiful, and a block from the most beautiful beach that offers Jet skiing for rent. Not your average hotel, but the staff Maria, Mary, Walter, and even the owner are very pleasant and friendly. The hotel is clean and well kept and everyone is very helpful and welcoming. I even got recommendations from Maria and Mary about where to get home made traditional Puerto Rican dishes like bacalaitos, crunchy cod fritters; surullitos, sweet plump cornmeal fingers; and empanadillas, crescent-shaped turnovers filled with lobster, crab, conch, or beef. All this on my first visit.

My Second visit to the hotel, they greeted me by name and took my bag to my room, which the upgraded. The air conditioner both times cooled the rooms quickly and I was able to relax and get ready for dinner again at the restaurant they had recommended and this time I had the sopón de pescado (fish soup) and ohhh my it was wonderful.

With such wonderful hospitality, I don't need a five star hotel. I have found the place for me to stay whenever I am in Puerto Rico. Thanks for making my stays a wonderful experience Hotel Villa del Sol staff. I will be back soon to see you.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo