“Mixed review”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
New Haven, Connecticut
“Mixed review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Traveled here for business Our room was directly off the elevator , so we asked and got a different room. We got a room two floors lower and it had mold all over the Windows. We went and asked for a third room and we were told the hotel was totally booked I mentioned that we did not mind paying extra for a better room We were told none was available at any price. So we took the "elevator room ".

This room had a lot of issues No heat Room never got over 60 degrees even with heat set on 90 We asked the cleaning staff and they called maintenance the next morning. Room was Very noisy from the elevator returns , but we powered threw 5 days no heat and noise. Bathroom door never closed Slider broken. No cold water. Just scalding hot but Floors 6 and below have opposite issue ( lol) We were at the same convention and paid 508 dollars a night for a crappy room when others paid 304 for their crappy room. Guess the higher up the more expensive No view to speak of except ratty , moldy roof Internet spotty at best Shower leaked horribly , but lots of towels to mop it up with No coffee makers , no fridge Few drawers

The pros of the hotel Nice bed ( but cold , lol) pools just ok Bar tenders were excellent My husband doesn't drink and they made him his virgin daquaries and never complained

To sum it up rooms a one star and amenities 3 so went with 2 rating You are paying for the hotel location and a nice beach

I would not stay here again because I like warm clean rooms even if I don't spend a lot of time

Room Tip: Old hotel. Not sure there are any good rooms
1 Thank lisa r
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
On behalf of the management and staff we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your business and thank you for selecting our hotel. At the same time we are disappointed to learn of your mixed feelings, as we always like to ensure that our guests feel cared for, valued and respected, which is our brand promise. Our guests’ satisfaction is our main priority and I assure you that we will definitely take your comments into consideration so that we may find ways to improve our hotel.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope that we may welcome you again in the future.

Sarahi Maldonado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
West New York, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

First and foremost the concierge staff was extremely pleasant.. My room which was located in a adjacent property was nice as well. However, it all went down hill after check-in.. On my second day, housekeeping stole a bottle of perfume from my room. The iron in my room was not working. While attend a conference, I was served with the worst food you could possibly eat. It made McDonald/Burger King food look like a gourmet meal... lastly, the night before I was leaving my room key didn't work at all... After calling the front desk a total of 3 times, security finally came with the key... I will only recommend this hotel for nightlife nothing further!!!

1 Thank NIREYES
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. I was glad to read from your review that you found our staff to be pleasant and that you enjoyed your room; however, I understand that in some other areas we fell short of you expectations. Please accept our sincere apology if your bottle of perfume went missing while staying with us. We want you to know that we have taken this very seriously and are taking all the necessary steps to thoroughly investigate this incident. Our customers’ personal property is always respected and I sincerely apologize if this caused you any inconvenience.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me directly.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I have read a lot of the reviews of the El San Juan Hotel here and it seems that there are really two types of reviews here: people who heavily criticize the service and particularly the quality of the rooms; and people who rave about the service and the location of the property. How to reconcile these two widely divergent views?

My opinion of the El San Juan has been based upon several visits to the property over the last decade and a half, most recently a stay with my family over Thanksgiving Weekend, 2013. In my opinion, the location cannot be beat: the hotel is blessed to be located on a fantastic beach front property with other high end hotels and many restaurant and bar options located nearby. The several pools are strategically located and are interesting in their design. The lobby of the hotel is one of the most unique that I have ever encountered with such fantastic nightlife occurring there and the classic look of the place.

Many people have commented on poor service. We were very concerned about this after reading the many reviews critical of the front desk and other service staff. I have to say that I was preparing to experience poor service and having to argue and push our way to getting the service that we paid for. However, I experienced nothing but the very finest in service from all of the hotel staff, starting with the front desk: from Juan Carlos (who checked us in) and Jonathan who checked on us by phone after we settled in. Susan Wilkerson should be especially praised for her extremely upbeat nature and helping to answer all of our questions and make sure that we enjoyed our stay. I think that she and others are aware of some of the concerns expressed here and are doing their very best to make sure that future customers experience a high level of service.

In fact, every element of service that we encountered during our entire stay was absolutely top notch from the bellmen to the restaurant staff and everyone in between. Where were all of these rude service members that reviewers had written of? I don't know. Perhaps they were off duty during our stay. I can say that I went out of my way to encounter service providers at different parts of the hotel operation and found nothing but excellence, professionalism and over the top customer service.

I can only guess that the quality of the rooms is the thing that is giving people a bad taste in their mouths about their stay. We were lucky to stay in one of the ocean front lanai rooms, and it was fantastic! Our room had a refrigerator in it and a wonderful balcony that faced the ocean. I understand that the ocean front and garden lanai rooms are the newest and most up to date maintenance wise, but I could be wrong on this assumption. I do know that we noticed none of the room quality issues in the lanai that some of the other reviewers commented on who were staying in the main tower.

I definitely think that Hilton should take note of the bad reviews here about the quality of the rooms not being up to Hilton standards and immediately do something about it. They should spend the necessary money to renovate and upgrade their standard rooms and do it immediately so as not to lose the loyalty of their customer base. The policy regarding refrigerators in the rooms is absolutely absurd and needs to be changed immediately. Paying $25 to have a refrigerator delivered to your room is an insulting offense and is enough alone to ruin a hotel stay. I experienced this during our stay in 2006 and remember this as being one of the most bizarre hotel practices that I have ever heard of. In this century every hotel from the finest of luxury down to the budget stay hotels are expected to have refrigerators in the rooms at no extra charge.

One more comment: the El San Juan Hotel contains two of the best restaurants that I have ever been to! I will write separate reviews for each, but the La Piccola Fontana and Meat Market Miami were unbelievable dining experiences and meals that we will not soon forget. The dining options alone are reason enough to stay at the El San Juan!

There is no doubt in my mind that we will be back to stay at the El San Juan!

Room Tip: Book the garden or oceanfront lanai rooms. They are better values and are perhaps maintained better.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank mugro
Lago Vista, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel id conveniently located by the airport. It has a nice beach and pool area. There is a convenience store in close walking distance that has great prices and good hot food to order in or out. The hotel is clean and comfortable. It is an older property that has recently been updated. The lobby had nightly entertainment and a casino. We would definitely recommend this place if you need and airport layover or a cruise ship buffer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Astoria, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

I just finished a mileage run that put me at a Hilton property.
The reviews had me very leery of this property but I found it up
to Hilton standards. The front desk and concierge were extremely helpful,
the room very clean with a great view. I recommend this property.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank coastda
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Pros: The beds are great with down pillows and comforters. The mattresses sleep well and the air conditioner works great. No crowding in pools. Lounge was very nice and created a great ambience for sitting and talking. Close to other restaurants outside grounds. Nice Bar-B-Q restaurant on roof (10th floor).

CONS: The hotel lobby is nice and the common areas are groomed; however, the rooms are dated with dirty curtains hiding behind the really bright colored chiffon (?) curtain sheers. The rust is piling up and the overhead doors to bathrooms have been battered quite a bit with sheetrock and paint off in chips (lots of them across the whole doorway). Our door to the bathroom did not close so it was good that I was traveling with my husband only. The views are really non existent due to the architect. Wearing a theme park like band to go out to the beach is a bit much like feeling you are in a theme park so the security guard can let you back in on the grounds. Why not a room key? The wet bar at the swimming pool closed as soon as we got in about 5:00pm and it would have been nice at night. There was virtually no place to hang a swim suit to dry or anything like it. You could only check out beach towels during the day and if you returned them after closing, you were suppose to call the beach towel section and tell them that you put them in the dirty clothes bin or you would be charged. Honor system? Also, the check -in clerks took forever (10-20minutes) to get people checked in with 4 people attending. Seems like there were always issues with whatever was being done. If you are flying out and want to weigh your luggage for the 50 lbs max, save your breath for asking staff and go to the 10th floor work-out area (gym) and weigh your own bags. All of the staff knew nothing of this scale and sent our luggage to be weighed on the freight scales but could not guarantee they would be right. We could of saved a tip because we were overweight by the scales in the gym and adjusted accordingly. The airlines scales were same as gym scales, not freight scales. No breakfast included nor complimentary coffee. NO COFFEE AVAILABLE until 6am at Starbucks on site and no other place close by for early airline flights. There was no cold coffees in the convenience stores either.

Room Tip: No noise on 9th floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IslandStyleGirl

Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Here for a convention at $304.00 a night! Unbelievable price given the condition of the rooms. Damp smell just never went away. Minimalist furniture and a tiny tv. Horribly slow WiFi in the rooms!

I hope next year's convention is in a different hotel!

1 Thank Bill E
Thank you for your review. I understand that you were dissatisfied with our prices and that you found them to be too expensive. I sincerely apologize for this and assure you that we do all we can to create a great experience for each one of our guests. We are actively looking for ways keep costs low and offer enhanced services for your comfort and convenience and will definitely keep you review in mind.

Again, I do thank you for your review and sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you may have gone through. I hope that the next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us at again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,630 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!