“Disappointed Stay”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
San Antonio, United States
“Disappointed Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

This was suppose to be a vacation experience, but it fell way short of expectations. The staff gave conflicting information, the concierge service was good but it took forever to book a trip, and dress code in the lobby was not posted on the web site.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Sarahi Maldonado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
North Branford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

In June 2013, I booked on line at hilton.com a Garden Lanai Room with Balcony for a five night stay in December, 2013. I prepaid all rates and fees for two nights in advance.

When we arrived last week, we were sent to a tower room without a balcony. When I pointed out that this was not the room I had reserved, I was told that the building in which the type of room I had booked was under renovation and no such rooms were available. Hilton clearly knew in advance of my arrival that they would be unable to honor the reservation- in fact, they may well have known that at the time they accepted the reservation - but made no attempt to contact me to discuss alternate arrangements.

When I insisted on a room with access to the outdoors, they put us in Room 102 in the Casitas building. The room was so rundown, poorly maintained, and dirty that I would never have expected it to be rented under the Hilton brand. The bathroom tile was chipped, broken, stained, and discolored. The shower and fixtures were covered with soap scum, mildew, and various unidentifiable discolorations. There were bugs around the sink. The paint in the bathroom and on the ceiling was flaking and peeling. The security lock on the door was broken off. The ventilation vents in the ceiling were just deplorable - coated with dust and scum.

When we again protested, they insisted that there was no other room available with a patio or balcony. They would also not check to see if there were rooms available at other Hilton properties in the area. They finally agreed to comp us one night's stay, but we should have just left, since we were just reminded every time we returned to the room how miserable it was.

I e-mailed Hilton customer support. They never acknowledged my e-mail until after we had already left. Their response has been "Thank you for your input. We look forward to welcoming you back." Fat chance of that.

Food and drink prices at the El San Juan are 20-30% higher than at The Intercontinental, which is literally right next door.

Wi-Fi was pretty much non-existent in the room.

The pool area is extensive, pools are clean, and the pool staff is very friendly. Unlike the reception staff, who were uniformly brusque and disinterested.

Room Tip: Stay next door at The Intercontinental.
2 Thank MDS41
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I sincerely apologize that we were unable to accommodate you in the room you expected when you first arrived to our hotel. I assure you that we do everything we can to provide our guests the room they request however; there are times when our guests extend their stay with us. I sincerely apologize if this may have caused you any inconveniences. I also would like to take this time to apologize if you found your room to be run down and dirty. I can assure you that we are currently looking into this and will make any necessary changes where feasible.

I apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope you give us another chance to serve you, if you travels bring you back to our area. Please know that we value your business and will work hard to earn your trust once again. If you should have any further questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Milford, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed here from Dec 7-13, 2013. I booked the Casita room. When we arrived, I rushed to put on my bathing suit so didn't really pay attention to the room. I did smell a bit musty. There was also a humidifier in the room. The beach was beautiful! The pool was not as big as I thought. The lobby was amazing!!! The entertainment was brilliant and so much fun. It was loud! I ended up changing my room due to the smell and plus it was carpeted…I'd rather have tile floors. They moved us to the 9th floor. Nice room. They had no more king beds so we got 2 Queen beds which is ok. The problem with the room was that there was no coffee! I had never been to a hotel that did not have coffee in the room. Also the room only had 1 mirror in the bathroom and one next to the TV. No full length mirror. Us females need a full length mirror! When we laid by the pool close to the beach as well as on the beach, Maria (long pony tail through cap) was our server. She was great!! Smiling and very courteous. When we laid by the pool close to the towel stand, our server wasn't as accommodating. Actually, we had to wait 30-45 minutes for someone to come over to us. When she did it was like a bother. No smile and no pleasantries. But yet she rushed us to pay our tab! As for the bars in lobby…FANTASTIC!! James was very nice as well as Charlene (think that's her name). My favorite was Keith!! As for the food…DELICIOUS!!!! La Terraza for breakfast was good. Kocos was amazing!!! I recommend the gnocchi with coconut risotto. For my birthday we ate at The Meat Market. OMG!! I had the half filet with the crispy brussel sprouts. IT WAS TO DIE FOR!!! I had the best birthday ever in Puerto Rico!!!!

1 Thank Debelina
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife surprised me with a getaway to Puerto Rico. This hotel was great. They upgraded our room to a high floor full ocean view. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful in every way.Our stay included breakfast every morning and although it was good they need to change it up a little each day. The pool areas were beautiful and staff kept it clean working everyday to do so.The lobby lounge is beautiful and a great place to have a cocktail. If your staying in the Carolina area do not hesitate to stay here.

Room Tip: Room 838 - - -Perfect
1 Thank Traveling G
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

We were concerned about our trip to the El San Juan Resort due to some of the negative reviews we read. Maybe, our expectations were " in check", but we were blown away. The service was phenomenal. The front desk was courteous, quick, attentive as well as the concierge, front door staff, maintenance, restaurant and pool servers. The grounds were impeccable. The beach was beautiful with plenty of room to walk or lay on with the lounge chairs provided. We stayed on the 10th floor of the towers ( rooms with the white furniture in pictures) the room was fine. Nothing too fancy, but it was clean and quiet.
I used services at the salon, the staff and experience was terrific.
The only thing I would change is the location of the resort. My husband and I relied heavily on Taxis to Condado and Old San Juan for many occasions. Restaurant
Variety, shopping, exploring, night life, etc.
To sum it up, don't be afraid of the resort, it was perfect and we plan on returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We booked with hilton points and were in the garden rooms. Poor condition over all. Our friends paid for a tower room and theirs was nicer by far. The casino wasn't too great either. The drinks and restaurants were way over priced. There are plenty of options off property for dining and drinks. I recommend, but only the tower. This score is based on our garden room.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deezer704
Thank you for your recent visit to our hotel. We are terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing to you and did not fit in your expectations.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you.

Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me directly. We would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Andover, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

San Juan Resort and Casino is considered a hot spot for entertainment, that is true there is good entertainment if you can get in. I would highly recommend to stay at another hotel. The rooms are not cleaned well, it is overpriced for what you get, and the beach has massive seaweed which is an annoyance to swim or walk the beach.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Debbra W
We thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. Reading your comments, it appears that we fell short of your expectations and for that, we sincerely apologize. We are accustomed to receiving very positive feedback from our guests and are disheartened that you did not experience the level of excellence you deserve. Please be assured that your concerns will be shared with our management team so that corrective measures are taken where feasible.

We do hope that you can give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our hotel if your travels bring you to our area again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,628 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!