“El San Juan”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Chicago, United States
“El San Juan”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Highly recommend avoiding this property. Very poorly maintained and managed. I am very surprised this property falls within the Hilton portfolio. Service is extremely slow. Rooms were filthy along with all the common areas. Staff was friendly, just slow.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jon P
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that need improvement.

I am so sorry that you found our property to be poorly maintained and that you found our service to be slow. Meeting your expectations is our primary objective and I apologize that we fell short of that goal. Your comments are being reviewed with my maintenance staff so that corrections can be made.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and thoughts on our property. It is my hope that you will look into staying at our property on future trips.

Sincerly,

Sarahi Maldonado

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (852)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

GREATEST VACATION EVER FOR THE 5TH YEAR IN A ROW - NO SURPRISES!

My wife, my 20-something kids and I just completed our 5th Christmas to New Years stay @ "The El San Juan Hotel and casino. Mgrs Francisco, Susan Wilkerson, and Yvonne Ramos continue to greet us with hugs and again assigned us a spacious, quiet & cool room. Front desk agents Carlos, Joshua, and Monique also beamed on seeing us and answered all requests with: "It'll be my pleasure". BREAKFAST: Servers Garcia and Carlos take care of your every whim with a smile. BEACH: Cabana-guy Javier always had four lounges and an umbrella waiting for us on the uncrowded waterfront. The beach is a mile long for power walkers. 9 out of 10 days were 85 and sunny. DINNER: loved "La Piccola Fontana", where Captain Juan Carlos can't do enough for you and the Shrimp in white wine sause over spaghetti was the best! The Sushi at "Yamoto" was OK. "Miami Meat Market" was good but pricey and the tables were tiny. A short walk away is "The Ritz", where "BLT Steak" was OK. ill Mulino" was fantastic. Get the Shrimp Fra Diavolo there . LOBBY: El San Juan's lobby and bar are the prettiest anywhere in the world. CASINO: free drinks keep coming while Croupiers Riggabelto occasionally let us win at roulette as did blackjack dealers Roberto and Jorge. We love the El San Juan and will keep coming back until we don't! Best vacation ever, 5 years in a row!

Room Tip: ask Front desk Mgr Susan Wilkerson to be in the main building
1 Thank dave60763
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We certainly value your loyalty over the years, and appreciate you making the El San Juan your 'Holiday Vacation Spot" for your family..

It was a pleasure to be of sevice and I look forward to welcoming you back in February

All the best in 2014!

Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just got back from an amazing week at the El San Juan Resort and Casino. What makes the stay so special is the staff. After staying at several of the Hotels along this strip of hotels this one is our favorite. Coming from NY where stress takes over our lives it is so refreshing to find a group of people who clearly want to you enjoy your stay. I failed to speak to the general manager to express my gratitude for the professionalism of the staff, I was too busy relaxing! Before I even arrived I spoke to Jonathan Ponce on the phone and noted all my requests and honored each and every one. Upon arrival, he assured me that he would be there if I had any problem. During my stay I also met Carlos Marquez who was also very supportive, he reviewed my charges making sure all were correct. Carlos' dedication to his job clearly indicates that he is passionate about his career. And last but not least was Josue Camacho. Josue assisted me at various times during my stay, always with a smile and with extreme patience. I know you think of course this is all how it should be! When someone takes the extra time to insure that a guest is 100 percent happy.. well in my opinion that is what takes a vacation rating over the top! The total experience is very easy, great restaurants in Hotel. Make sure you try the new Meat Market! We will be back next Christmas.. I hope they will all still be there too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review! There are many hotels/resorts in the San Juan area, and we thank you for selecting the El San Juan for your getaway. Your review was very complimentary of our service and facility, I am glad the location, and the resorts amenities were to your liking and you had a great stay!
I will ensure 5-star recognition to the service 'stars' you mention in your review, again I thank you for acknowledging their service and attention to detail.

Upon your next to San Juan, it would be a pleasure and to personally thank you for kind words..

I remain at your service

Bayport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Let me start by saying the hotel lobby is beautiful. This place is a definite hotspot for late night revelers. But the beauty ends there. The service here is the poorest I have ever experienced. To add insult to injury, the staff's demeanor is downright nasty. We have been here two days and have been lied to on a regular basis. The front desk staff and management need a course in customer hospitality. We have three rooms. In less than 48 hours we have had a broken safe that we are still waiting for them to replace, poorly cleaned and maintained rooms, broken A/C , paid for Internet that doesn't work and wait staff that cannot be bothered helping you.

What a disappointment ! There are so many beautiful places to stay here in San Juan. This hotel is NOT one if them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Patricia H
We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. I can assure you that our main priority at our hotel is to provide our guests with the most attentive and personalized service and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you anticipated. We will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve the training of our staff.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Find a different hotel! They staff was not professional or attentive at the bars, seemed we were bothering them when asking for a drink order. Rooms were old and not well kept from a furnishing perspective, they were clean with exception to the dirty grout in the shower!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Michael M
Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you were not completely satisfied and do apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced. Unclean rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I especially would like to apologize if our staff was not attentive towards you. I assure you that your experience does not reflect the level of standards we strive to provide all our guests.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel is outdated. Renovations to some of the rooms need to be made. There is hotel parking,but you have to pay for it everyday. Make sure you ask if any renovations are being made at the time of your visit. Renovations to the room we were staying in were being made at 6:30am. We complained and were moved to another room. The service is good,while you are staying there. Make sure not to leave anything behind, because you will never see it again. I forgot two bottles of perfume and called the hotel the next day, and they said nothing was found. There is internet access,but you have to pay for it. In addition, your credit card will be charged for a holding fee of $50.00 per day until you leave the hotel. Make sure before you book through any websites that you call the hotel to find out this information.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Newtraveler1979
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

I stayed at El San Juan Resort and Casino December 5-9, 2013, for an ATM convention. We checked in and went to our room, which was on the 7th floor. As soon as we got off of the elevator, we were met with a strong smell of mildew coming from the carpet, which had visible stains. When we entered our room, it was horrible. The floor had black scuff marks, the white comforter on the bed had stains, both stools at the foot of the bed had stains on them and worst of all, our white sofa had blood stains on it. I immediately went to the front desk and requested a manager. The manager was very nonchalant, and said, "Well, we have another room on the 6th floor". She offered no apologies, upgrades, nothing (I am a Diamond Member). We went to this room and immediately noticed that it was just as bad as the first. Again, the comforter was dirty. The floor had black scuff marks everywhere. The large window had mildew and calcium stains to the point that it just looked downright nasty. We went back to the front desk and the manager said that there were no more rooms available. I told her that we refused to leave the desk until another room was assigned. Mysteriously, a room on the 8th floor came available. We went to this room, and guess what? It was bad too. There was hair on the bathroom floor, hair in the sink, and the window was horrible. I called around to other hotels in the area and they were all booked. My wife and I decided to call Housekeeping and manage the cleanup of this room.

On Saturday night, we went to the Gold Bar, which is located in the lobby. My wife noticed roaches crawling across the bar. We notified the bartender and he replied, "We have been telling the manager about this for a week..." I asked for the manager, who arrived and told me that they had an exterminator scheduled for Next Week... We left our drinks and went to Chili's Restaurant across the street.

The "OnDemand" network on the tv in our room did not work our entire trip. It is to my understanding that service was disrupted for the entire hotel.

Bottom line: This hotel is old (smells old too), and needs a serious upgrade. Do not let the photos on their website fool you. This hotel is horrible. You and your family will be highly disappointed if you reside here. Everybody in our group had similar problems and will write reviews as well...

Room Tip: If you want a good room, stay at a different hotel.....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Reginald L
I am terribly sorry that your experience at our hotel was disappointing. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our products and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you. Should you desire to further discuss your visit, please feel free to contact me. I would love the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Susan Wilkerson
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,629 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!