It had been several years since i was able to take a resort type vacation and got off to a rocky start at the El San Juan. We were first put in the Newly renovated (questionable) Casita which are garden type rooms that walk out pool side. The room was HORRIBLE!!!! Musty, ugly and dirty. The AC and ceiling fan did not work. The bed was disgusting and hard! The hallways were narrow and dark with Ikea type ball lamps used for lighting. I was furious that they sold this as an upgraded room. We were immediately moved to the main tower on the 9th floor. Also told this was an upgrade on our room with an ocean view. Well, if were to lean out a window and look way off to the right you could see the ocean. We moved again for the 3rd time settling on a room just slightly down the hall. None of the rooms have balconies so once in your room you are IN YOUR ROOM. Not exactly what i enjoy on a Resort vacation. To add salt to the wound the walls are paper thin so you just keep your fingers crossed that the people in the room next to you are on the quiet side. We were not so lucky and our first night resulted in an awful night sleep. Our second night we had to call down to the front desk and ask them to get involved. The third night the hotel came and put some insulation between the connecting door between our rooms which muffled the sound just a bit. In addition, we were not made aware that there is dress code for the lobby bars and clubs at night. My significant other who was dressed in nice kacky shorts and a button down shirt was asked to leave the bar due to the dress code. Here the man who was paying $400 plus a day to stay there and who just wanted a drink before going up to his room was told he cant drink at the bar and must leave. Not acceptable!
If i had to say anything positive it would be about the poolside service and the hotel restaurants. We never had trouble getting a poolside/beach chair or umbrella and the staff was friendly and accommodating. If it wasnt for them the entire trip would have been a bust!
If i were to go back (not likely) I would insist on staying in the beachfront rooms WITH balconies.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront hotel surrounded by 15 acres of landscaped grounds in fashionable Isla Verde district - 15 minutes from Old San Juan. El San Juan Hotel presents a perfect blend of tropical splendor, Old World elegance and vibrant culture. Redesigned guest rooms are bright and inviting - ideal for a retreat. Lounge at the beach or on the expansive pool featuring flowering gardens, and spacious sundeck, Olympic-sized pool, Fantasy swimming pool with swim-up bar, waterfall and whirlpools, private cabanas for rental or relax and rejuvenate at the spa. Enjoy a vibrant and varied nightlife, choosing from nine on-site award winning restaurants, plus lounges, bars and nightclubs. One life to live? Live it up at El San Juan! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El San Juan Resort And Casino
- El San Juan Hotel Isla Verde
- El San Juan Hotel Casino
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection Carolina
- El San Juan Hotel Puerto Rico
- El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection By Hilton Puerto Rico/Isla Verde