“The staff makes up for all its short comings”

El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Rockville, Maryland
“The staff makes up for all its short comings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

It had been several years since i was able to take a resort type vacation and got off to a rocky start at the El San Juan. We were first put in the Newly renovated (questionable) Casita which are garden type rooms that walk out pool side. The room was HORRIBLE!!!! Musty, ugly and dirty. The AC and ceiling fan did not work. The bed was disgusting and hard! The hallways were narrow and dark with Ikea type ball lamps used for lighting. I was furious that they sold this as an upgraded room. We were immediately moved to the main tower on the 9th floor. Also told this was an upgrade on our room with an ocean view. Well, if were to lean out a window and look way off to the right you could see the ocean. We moved again for the 3rd time settling on a room just slightly down the hall. None of the rooms have balconies so once in your room you are IN YOUR ROOM. Not exactly what i enjoy on a Resort vacation. To add salt to the wound the walls are paper thin so you just keep your fingers crossed that the people in the room next to you are on the quiet side. We were not so lucky and our first night resulted in an awful night sleep. Our second night we had to call down to the front desk and ask them to get involved. The third night the hotel came and put some insulation between the connecting door between our rooms which muffled the sound just a bit. In addition, we were not made aware that there is dress code for the lobby bars and clubs at night. My significant other who was dressed in nice kacky shorts and a button down shirt was asked to leave the bar due to the dress code. Here the man who was paying $400 plus a day to stay there and who just wanted a drink before going up to his room was told he cant drink at the bar and must leave. Not acceptable!
If i had to say anything positive it would be about the poolside service and the hotel restaurants. We never had trouble getting a poolside/beach chair or umbrella and the staff was friendly and accommodating. If it wasnt for them the entire trip would have been a bust!
If i were to go back (not likely) I would insist on staying in the beachfront rooms WITH balconies.

Room Tip: Request a beachfront room with balcony.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wbrown320

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I was worried about staying here based on some of the other reviews that I read, but it was the best trip ever! I stayed here with my husband and another couple and we had the best trip. I will say that this is not a family resort, but we were not looking for that, as we were looking for a couples weekend away. The resort is beautiful, nightlife is amazing, and the rooms were big and clean. We had no problems with customer service and the pool was awesome! If you are looking for a good time and enjoy nightlife then come here, you won't regret it. We will definitely return!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank melliefsu
Chicago, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Highly recommend avoiding this property. Very poorly maintained and managed. I am very surprised this property falls within the Hilton portfolio. Service is extremely slow. Rooms were filthy along with all the common areas. Staff was friendly, just slow.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Jon P
Sarahi M, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that need improvement.

I am so sorry that you found our property to be poorly maintained and that you found our service to be slow. Meeting your expectations is our primary objective and I apologize that we fell short of that goal. Your comments are being reviewed with my maintenance staff so that corrections can be made.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and thoughts on our property. It is my hope that you will look into staying at our property on future trips.

Sincerly,

Sarahi Maldonado
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

GREATEST VACATION EVER FOR THE 5TH YEAR IN A ROW - NO SURPRISES!

My wife, my 20-something kids and I just completed our 5th Christmas to New Years stay @ "The El San Juan Hotel and casino. Mgrs Francisco, Susan Wilkerson, and Yvonne Ramos continue to greet us with hugs and again assigned us a spacious, quiet & cool room. Front desk agents Carlos, Joshua, and Monique also beamed on seeing us and answered all requests with: "It'll be my pleasure". BREAKFAST: Servers Garcia and Carlos take care of your every whim with a smile. BEACH: Cabana-guy Javier always had four lounges and an umbrella waiting for us on the uncrowded waterfront. The beach is a mile long for power walkers. 9 out of 10 days were 85 and sunny. DINNER: loved "La Piccola Fontana", where Captain Juan Carlos can't do enough for you and the Shrimp in white wine sause over spaghetti was the best! The Sushi at "Yamoto" was OK. "Miami Meat Market" was good but pricey and the tables were tiny. A short walk away is "The Ritz", where "BLT Steak" was OK. ill Mulino" was fantastic. Get the Shrimp Fra Diavolo there . LOBBY: El San Juan's lobby and bar are the prettiest anywhere in the world. CASINO: free drinks keep coming while Croupiers Riggabelto occasionally let us win at roulette as did blackjack dealers Roberto and Jorge. We love the El San Juan and will keep coming back until we don't! Best vacation ever, 5 years in a row!

Room Tip: ask Front desk Mgr Susan Wilkerson to be in the main building
1 Thank dave60763
susanwilkerson, Front Office Manager at El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We certainly value your loyalty over the years, and appreciate you making the El San Juan your 'Holiday Vacation Spot" for your family..

It was a pleasure to be of sevice and I look forward to welcoming you back in February

All the best in 2014!

Woodbury, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Just got back from an amazing week at the El San Juan Resort and Casino. What makes the stay so special is the staff. After staying at several of the Hotels along this strip of hotels this one is our favorite. Coming from NY where stress takes over our lives it is so refreshing to find a group of people who clearly want to you enjoy your stay. I failed to speak to the general manager to express my gratitude for the professionalism of the staff, I was too busy relaxing! Before I even arrived I spoke to Jonathan Ponce on the phone and noted all my requests and honored each and every one. Upon arrival, he assured me that he would be there if I had any problem. During my stay I also met Carlos Marquez who was also very supportive, he reviewed my charges making sure all were correct. Carlos' dedication to his job clearly indicates that he is passionate about his career. And last but not least was Josue Camacho. Josue assisted me at various times during my stay, always with a smile and with extreme patience. I know you think of course this is all how it should be! When someone takes the extra time to insure that a guest is 100 percent happy.. well in my opinion that is what takes a vacation rating over the top! The total experience is very easy, great restaurants in Hotel. Make sure you try the new Meat Market! We will be back next Christmas.. I hope they will all still be there too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your review! There are many hotels/resorts in the San Juan area, and we thank you for selecting the El San Juan for your getaway. Your review was very complimentary of our service and facility, I am glad the location, and the resorts amenities were to your liking and you had a great stay!
I will ensure 5-star recognition to the service 'stars' you mention in your review, again I thank you for acknowledging their service and attention to detail.

Upon your next to San Juan, it would be a pleasure and to personally thank you for kind words..

I remain at your service

Bayport, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Let me start by saying the hotel lobby is beautiful. This place is a definite hotspot for late night revelers. But the beauty ends there. The service here is the poorest I have ever experienced. To add insult to injury, the staff's demeanor is downright nasty. We have been here two days and have been lied to on a regular basis. The front desk staff and management need a course in customer hospitality. We have three rooms. In less than 48 hours we have had a broken safe that we are still waiting for them to replace, poorly cleaned and maintained rooms, broken A/C , paid for Internet that doesn't work and wait staff that cannot be bothered helping you.

What a disappointment ! There are so many beautiful places to stay here in San Juan. This hotel is NOT one if them.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Patricia H
We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. I can assure you that our main priority at our hotel is to provide our guests with the most attentive and personalized service and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you anticipated. We will definitely take your comments into consideration to improve the training of our staff.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Susan.Wilkerson@hilton.com
North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Find a different hotel! They staff was not professional or attentive at the bars, seemed we were bothering them when asking for a drink order. Rooms were old and not well kept from a furnishing perspective, they were clean with exception to the dirty grout in the shower!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Michael M
Thank you for your feedback. I understand that you were not completely satisfied and do apologize for the housekeeping problems you experienced. Unclean rooms are not typical at our hotel and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I especially would like to apologize if our staff was not attentive towards you. I assure you that your experience does not reflect the level of standards we strive to provide all our guests.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you went through any inconveniences and I hope that next time you are in town, you give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla Verde
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,627 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton? Share your experiences!