“LOVE THIS HIDDEN GEM BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Connecticut & NewJersey
“LOVE THIS HIDDEN GEM BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I knew I wanted to stay in Isla Verde especially since I love beachfront properties but I had a hard time finding something decent in my budget. After cancelling 2 hotel reservations when i came across Hotel la Playa I knew my boyfriend and i would love it here. I made my reservations over the phone with Linda who was very helpful. When we arrived and saw the view of the beach we were so amazed. Our ocean view room was pretty, clean and huge. it was PERFECT!! Yes the water pressure in the bathroom isnt the best but you can manage. The food here is kinda pricey but you have to try the drinks and monfongo which was delicious. Keep in mind there is free breakfast. There is also a cheaper good quality food at restaurant called Metropol (walking distance) I LOVE that you can catch a 75 cent bus to old san juan . (A cab would be about $20 each way )Take bus T5 OR 53 its about 30 minute scenic ride. Worth it!! TRUST ME! There is also a walgreens close by where I did purchase some souvenirs. THE LOCATION IS PERFECT dont waste money on overpriced hotels. Stay here for good service from an amazing staff and great views.

Room Tip: room 209 is amazing
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BootlegTravelAgent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Isla Verde is packed with the big hotel chains, but this adorable boutique hotel right on the water can't be beat. It has so much charming character. The rooms are clean. The staff is friendly and helpful. There is complimentary parking. Fall asleep to the sound of the coqui frogs. This hotel shares access to the same beach as The Palms. For a less crowded experience, walk up one block Calle Amapola, turn left on Calle Dalia and enter the beach there. That section of beach is more tranquil...though the Ritz Carlton and a few other hotels do share a section of it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

5 Thank Leslie B
Dover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My husband and two friends stayed here not really knowing what to expect as the reviews were mixed. But I had stayed in Puerto Rico before at the large Marriott resort and casino and wasn't impressed. We paid $140 a night here (which was by far the cheapest considering most places like the El San Juan and Ritz were close to $300). The staff was very nice and accommodating - we took a cab to the grocery store down the street and got things to make lunch and drinks (much cheaper than the bar) and they didn't mind giving us ice, utensils and plates. There isn't much to the hotel other than the bar, but the beach is right next door and there is a place to rent chairs, etc. If you want to lay by the pool on your vacation, obviously this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for a cheaper, more relaxing, less bleached out resort feel, we found this to be perfect. The rooms are large (although the water in the showers is not so great) and we definitely didn't get bit by anything! If you're going to splurge, stay at the downtown Hotel Convento, if you want a quick getaway and some good food, stay here!

Room Tip: It can be loud at night on the weekends as they often either have live bands or music until 1am!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank exeter95
Rocky River, Ohio
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel in mid January. I was there with my family and we had three rooms, so this gave us an overall feel for the hotel. First, the owner and his wife are very nice. I thought everyone that worked there went out of their way to be accommodating. The view is very pretty from the ocean front rooms and from the dining area. The food in the restaurant is very good! If it wasn't for the view and the food, this hotel would have nothing going for it. From the time we arrived, things just got worse and worse. There are always shady people hanging out on the balcony of the hotel, which makes some people feel very unsafe. When one of my family members checked in they were told that the hotel is not responsible for anything stolen out of the rooms. This makes you feel really good, especially with there are shady people hanging out all over the place. Also, 1 of our rooms didn't have a safe. The safes that we did have in the rooms, are the tiniest safes I have ever seen and barely fit anything in them. The rooms were dirty and barely cleaned, if at all. There was toothpaste stains on the faucets. There were used, unwrapped soap bars in the bath tubs and showers. This makes me doubt that the rooms are really cleaned even more. The water temperature in the shower never stayed consistently hot. My first shower was freezing cold. My husband and I both woke up with some kind of bites on our legs. I have no clue what the were from, except that we got them while we were sleeping in the bed. The continental breakfast has barely anything on it. If you something else, you can get it but it is extra. The breakfast was so slim, that we ate off of the regular menu every morning that we were there. Our room was $200 a night and it's probably not worth more than $100 a night. I actually would never pay to stay there again, just because of the filthiness. The event that topped the whole weekend off happened the morning we checked out. We had all just come out of rooms and were sitting downstairs waiting for a taxi. Two couples walked in with their luggage to check in. The cleaning lady (who barely cleans) had been downstairs, right by us the whole time. Plus, we hadn't been out of rooms long enough for anyone to clean our rooms. There might have been enough time to make the bed and empty the trash. Those 2 couples were taken up to our rooms that we had literally just walked out of. I don't know if the hotel staff explained that they were cleaned yet, but regardless...what hotel takes guests to dirty rooms? Disgusting! The really sad thing out this whole situation and this hotel is that the hotel has huge potential to be a very nice, quant little place. The remodeled rooms are cute. The view is great. The food is excellent for the most part. They have a nice beer selection at the bar. But, none of the makes up for filthiness and cold showers!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank cmu5209
Barnegat Light, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Hubby and I were just there this past Nov/2011 for 4 days. The hotel needs works, the rooms are not great at all, furniture is old, and what ocean view? we got an ocean view room that half of the view was of the roof of the restaurant, that aint no ocean view, what we had to view was a palm tree that was close by. The restaurant is very expensive if you compare it with the Metropol restaurant which is just down the street. The staff is friendly for the most part, the lady that does the check in Linda does not speak spanish, I found that strange, she is mostly there in the morning. The afternoon staff is lazy. The beach for the right of the hotel is the best, the one on the left ewwwwww, full of algie, algie everwhere....

Breakfast was okay, coffee, bages, butter, cream cheese, cereal and some ham and cheeses, so it was not bad at all.

Would I stay here again? No.

2 Thank DEBBIE A
Kelowna B.C.
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We stayed at La Playa for 5 days, pre cruise. it is a very small 12 room hotel, most rooms on 2nd floor, which for a start was difficult as I use a walker. The lower floor is completely open, with ocean breezes flowing through. the patio is directly on the water, one could dive in but for waves and rocks. only 30 feet away is a great beach. Again a difficulty as there were no chairs . Down the beach about 400 yards one can rent chairs but this was not within my abilities. The hotel would do well to loan a couple of beach chairs to clients. They did allow us to take a couple of plastic chairs from the patio. There is a small restaurant, limited but good. Locals congregate at the bar most evenings and have a great party but seem to leave about 10. Restaurants are about 7 blocks away we had to rent a car, which was local and a good price. Fortunately the hotel has parking as there is none anywhere else. Puerto Rican food is different !! Much plantain, (Mofungo) cooked in myriad forms. there is a public beach 2 miles away with all facilities and parking only $3. the place is charming and very clean, furnished in Spanish decor. We found Embassy suites on our return and would hav been much happier there. This place is great for people who love to walk on the beach.

3 Thank borg2
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 2 December 2011

This is a small hotel near the airport and basically on Isle Verde Beach. The hotel is on the water but does not have a beach but the beach is just across the entrance to the hotel. The staff are very helpful and the rooms are very clean. Breakfast is basic, mostly bagels, cereal coffee, and juice. Only a few blocks to the main bus route to other tourist areas and Old San Juan and cost just $0.75 but you need exact change. Buses are slow and don't run late at night but great for the day and when you are not in a hurry. The stop is right by the Walgreens a few blocks from the hotel. Large hotels are walking distance if you want to dance, eat out at expensive restaurants, or gamble. La Playa has a good restaurant, LaPlayita, that serves great burgers and the best mojitas! It was nice to be able to hang out or have a night cap at the restaurant overlooking the water at night. Also, the drink and food on the beach are absurd so we just walked the short distance back to the hotel to eat and drink. At the beach you can rent a chair for $4 and umbrella for $10 a day. The beaches were not as nice as in Mexico but still good with palm trees and warm water. This hotel is one of the cheapest in the area. If you are fine with a small but very clean basic room, then I highly recommend this hotel. Also, you can rent a car a couple of blocks away and the taxi to the airport is around $14 to the airport for 2 people with 2 bags. Puerto Rico is expensive and not many values exists. Hotel staff were great!

1 Thank Patricia33524
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,139 reviews

Been to La Playita? Share your experiences!