“Great service and location”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Torrance, California
“Great service and location”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We enjoyed the included breakfasts in the open air deck restaurant. Bagels, cereal , fresh fruit , OJ & coffee all very good. It was a pleasant way to start the day with the wonderful ocean breeze & beautiful view. Everyone is very nice & friendly. Alberto lent us a dive flag for safety when he noticed that we were going snorkelling. He gave us great tips on where to go. Glad we stayed here !

Room Tip: Room 207 has a beautiful view of the ocean and beach to the right (the Ritz Carlton side). Nice big...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just returned from a 5 day trip in San Juan. Hotel La Playa was amazing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd like to say the hotel was authentic and a nice, local spot. Lots of police patrol the area, making it a very safe location. In walking distance to everything, yet far enough away from the tourists and traffic. Shares beach with major hotels such as El San Juan Resort and the Ritz Carlton so you are able to mingle with others. Nice price for a overall great trip!

P.S Carlos at the bar makes delicious coconut drinks

Room Tip: No swimming pool nor fitness center.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank J J
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband was in PR for work in February. He was working at the Ritz so we needed to find a hotel nearby. I did a lot of research and based on price and location we selected La Playa, but I was pretty apprehensive. When we got to PR we went to the Ritz first. We had lunch there that cost $50 and was not at all worth that price. I was not feeling terribly excited about being in PR by the time we went to La Playa and that feeling got much worse when we saw our room. The room was really basic and a little worn down. The bathroom had a strange smell that would come and go, but it was updated. Then we went down to the restuarant and bar. Words cannot describe how amazing La Playita is. It's a wonderful restaurant. The food is great and the staff is amazing. I ended up spending my days at the Ritz beach, but the beach on the other side of La Playa was busy and beautiful. Despite the fact that the room wasn't very nice, our stay was wonderful. I will definitely go back to La Playa (I will ask for a different room...we did some spying on other rooms and found that there are a couple that are really nice). I would also recommend the hotel. This is not a hotel with fancy ammenities or lodging, but the location and the staff, the restaurant and the view make up for it. I took a yoga class at the studio on the roof of the hotel and it was awesome! I can't wait to go back to La Playa!

Room Tip: When you book a room call the hotel. The owner is really nice and will help you select a room. As...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank cbanach26
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, but I used to come to this hotel's restaurant as a child. It's a really nice place. The best part about it is the restaurant is right on the ocean with a built in deck. The menu is a bit pricey but it's worth the view you're getting. They have a special drink called the Coco Loco which has 4 rums and has a delicious creamy coconut flavor. You can carry it out to the beach if you like. Saw some tourists pay for them and head out of the hotel. This hotel was rehabbed recently, but it's still a nice place to stay for a lesser cost compared to the luxury hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with an ocean view.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Michelle S
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Location, location, location ..... 5 mins from the airport (but I never heard a plane) Isla Verde beach is the best in San Juan. Famous expensive resorts sit to the right and left of this small, older inn and patio bar/restaurant on the water (I mean over the water; the patio is literally on pylons over the surf). To the right on the beach is the Ritz Carlton; to the left almost next door is the El San Juan Resort and Casino. Hotel La Playa offers comfortable, no-frills (but good free perks) accommodations in the midst of this beautiful location at 1/3 the price of the resorts (or even less if you consider the hefty resort service fees added to the final bill at the other places). They provide a simple free continental breakfast on the patio where I am now using the Wifi (provided free) to write this review while I sit only feet away from the surf watching a couple of little crabs scurry about at the edge of the deck, and a couple of paddle-boarders out beyond the surf. There is also free parking - a nice benefit in this area.
We stayed 3 days here, long enough to get to know the staff a bit; and they are very sincere, helpful, and friendly. Norbert always had a smile and joke; Julio at the front desk escorted us to our cab in the pouring rain with 3 umbrellas; and Caroline kept our room fresh and neat, even folding clothes and straightening our things. The housekeeping staff assisted us with doing a load of laundry for $2.25 in quarters and a generous tip. I saw a load of fresh coconuts being brought in via wheelbarrow, and we watched as the bartenders cut the top off with a machete and pop in a straw for us for instant Coco Frio ($5++) and then use another to make the house special drink Coco Loco with 4 rums ($12++)... fun !
For a small inn (15 rooms) there is much staff on-hand because the outdoor bar/restaurant (La Playita) is a popular local spot. We arrived our first night just before mid-night and Julio met us out on the curb when our cab dropped us off; and got another cab for us 20 mins later to go out. I always felt safe, even when I awoke at 5am and sat in a darkened patio using the Wifi while the night security guard sat nearby. We took a 20 minute walk after dark to the Walgreen's and Pueblo grocery, seeing lots of locals, and asking one of the ever-present policemen for directions.
So, keeping in mind the value offered, here are the things some tourists may not find appealing: while the beaches are the best in this part of Puerto Rico, the immediate neighborhood is older with refurbished condos and some abandoned buildings next door. The community seems to know and like each other well, whether they be the PR staffers, the retired Ford manager and his dog from Michigan who lives here 5 months per year, the law school student having a party next door at his mom's older beach condo, or the 2 established homeless men who are out on the street every day. Yes, there is a bit of real-life seediness here, including a touch of gummy beach-front bar grime left behind even after the hard-working staff does their job. The nice new French-engineered doors that proved too challenging for us dumb Americans to lock or unlock were a test of one's true "beach attitude"; but the staff was always quick to do the job if they saw us fumbling.
If you stay here, try to dress-up go over to the El San Juan Resort lobby on a Thur, Fri, or Saturday night for a real "old-days Cuban-influenced" Puerto Rican experience with live Salsa, dancing, and lots of drinks in a beautiful location. Also don't miss having a drink at sunset on top of The Water & Beach Club hotel. Great day trip was spent with Acampa Adventures ... they picked us up and handled everything for an amazing day of hiking and ziplines in Toro Negro rainforest.
Last note is that when I realized our luggage was overweight for the small plane to Vieques, they offered to keep a bag in the office for us for 2 days, at no extra charge. I like it here. It feels like family.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Anita H
Connecticut & NewJersey
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I wanted a getaway for my birthday again and I was glad that I was given a good rate for being a return guest this year. My boyfriend and I stayed longer this time and it was really amazing. The hospitality here is 5 star worthy. The overall friendlyness of this island makes it our new fav getaway. Forget other nearby hotels that charge ridiculous rates and hotel fees. It's not worth it! This hotel is close to the airport and you are right on the beach. Early morning swims were refreshing. There are local buses near by for 75 cents that take you to Old San Juan. We didn't have an ocean view room this time but we didn't care. Every morning we had free breakfast on the deck watching waves. The free breakfast is basic bagels cereal fruit and coffee. Cant complain! The food on menu is delicious but pricey. Try the mofongo! The location is perfect because so many other restaurants are nearby (Metropol , Don Jose, Chilis )and a Walgreens too.

I also loved that even though the island had plenty spring breakers.... Our hotel remained quiet and safe! Also on the day we were leaving I got a call while we were out saying I left my jewelry in room. Which was really nice of them to return it even after we already checked out.

My boyfriend and I can't wait to come back!!
Thanks again Hotel La Playa

Room Tip: Ask for 209
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BootlegTravelAgent
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This was a quick one night stay, as we were heading out on a cruise. We checked in around 2 or so, but our room was not quite ready. We went down the way to the open air bar/restaurant. We enjoyed the sea breeze, views and great food. We were heading to Fajardo to Kayak that evening, and the waiter helped give us with very easy to navigate good directions.

Once into our room, although it is not modern furniture, it was functional and very comfortable for the evening.

The next morning, we had a reservation to tarpon fish in the lagoon just a five minute ride away from the hotel. Well to our surprise, our youngest son had met with something that did not agree with him. He was very ill in the morning, and I have to say the hotel staff could not have been more kind, compassionate or considerate that morning to afternoon.

Linda and the owner were both very concerned, and allowed us to check out late to give him time to get to feeling better. As we headed out in the taxi, Linda even gave me a few bags and napkins, just in case our son felt sick again. As luck would have it, he was feeling better, and they were not needed. We were concerned that we would not be allowed to board the ship, and told us that we could come back if we needed to.

There is live music Saturday nights, and earplugs were the remedy. Not noisy, but we live out of the hustle and bustle of the city, so we are not used to noise. It was not ridiculous, but had I not known, I would have need to head out to Walgreen's just down the road to get some!

The location is a little tricky, as the hotel is located at the end of the a one way street, and you actually need to turn down the wrong way to get there. It does not have a beach front, but there are beaches on either side, and you hear the ocean form your room, All in all it was a wonderful stay, great customer service and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,139 reviews

Been to La Playita? Share your experiences!