“Great find”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My husband and I just stayed here for 4 days. The staff was so friendly and helpful. It's right across the street from the beach. There is a bar/restaurant that is literally on the water. Our room was small and strangely shaped, but the furniture and bathroom felt new. There is yoga in the roof twice a day. We were very happy with this place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michy47

Reviewed 21 August 2013

If you have a car better find hotel with normal parking.Parking lot is away from hotel and no room to turn, the guy who manage parking lot advised me to park right on the street beside hotel, morning I found out scratch on my car horizontal al the way down right side of car. We called police, they have camera, but manager of hotel didn't care of it, nobody assumed the responsibility for damage. Finally the owner said the camera doesn't show anything. The staff friendly till you ask them to do something. Room is dirty, no extra toilet paper, tissues, you have to ask for it. They don't change towels if you do not drop them down to floor.They didn't mop floor at all, we saw cockroach right middle of the room. We paid for excellent room what was on pictures, but when we arrived they gave us this dirty room, because they didnt have any other. Anyway this is not cheap hotel, stay in beautiful hotel for same price.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Badexperienc
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived to San Juan late at night an had booked Hotel La Playa because of its close location to the airport. When we got there Julio did not have our reservation written down even though I had emailed him weeks prior and called him to confirm the day before we arrived. They didn't have a room for us so they put us in a room that had been rented by a person who left without returning the key. They told us it was fine...but lock the inside chain just in case. The next morning we were woken up to someone trying to open the door. The desk called up quickly there after apologizing for the disturbance and wondering why we were in the room.
The room itself was nice exempt for the cockroach on the bathroom floor and the men working on the adjacent building staring into our window when we opened the shades.
The only good thing I have to say was that the location is right on the beach. End of story, we checked out early and made our way to another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Katie J
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We enjoyed the included breakfasts in the open air deck restaurant. Bagels, cereal , fresh fruit , OJ & coffee all very good. It was a pleasant way to start the day with the wonderful ocean breeze & beautiful view. Everyone is very nice & friendly. Alberto lent us a dive flag for safety when he noticed that we were going snorkelling. He gave us great tips on where to go. Glad we stayed here !

Room Tip: Room 207 has a beautiful view of the ocean and beach to the right (the Ritz Carlton side). Nice big...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Just returned from a 5 day trip in San Juan. Hotel La Playa was amazing. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I'd like to say the hotel was authentic and a nice, local spot. Lots of police patrol the area, making it a very safe location. In walking distance to everything, yet far enough away from the tourists and traffic. Shares beach with major hotels such as El San Juan Resort and the Ritz Carlton so you are able to mingle with others. Nice price for a overall great trip!

P.S Carlos at the bar makes delicious coconut drinks

Room Tip: No swimming pool nor fitness center.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank J J
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My husband was in PR for work in February. He was working at the Ritz so we needed to find a hotel nearby. I did a lot of research and based on price and location we selected La Playa, but I was pretty apprehensive. When we got to PR we went to the Ritz first. We had lunch there that cost $50 and was not at all worth that price. I was not feeling terribly excited about being in PR by the time we went to La Playa and that feeling got much worse when we saw our room. The room was really basic and a little worn down. The bathroom had a strange smell that would come and go, but it was updated. Then we went down to the restuarant and bar. Words cannot describe how amazing La Playita is. It's a wonderful restaurant. The food is great and the staff is amazing. I ended up spending my days at the Ritz beach, but the beach on the other side of La Playa was busy and beautiful. Despite the fact that the room wasn't very nice, our stay was wonderful. I will definitely go back to La Playa (I will ask for a different room...we did some spying on other rooms and found that there are a couple that are really nice). I would also recommend the hotel. This is not a hotel with fancy ammenities or lodging, but the location and the staff, the restaurant and the view make up for it. I took a yoga class at the studio on the roof of the hotel and it was awesome! I can't wait to go back to La Playa!

Room Tip: When you book a room call the hotel. The owner is really nice and will help you select a room. As...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cbanach26
Reviewed 22 April 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend, but I used to come to this hotel's restaurant as a child. It's a really nice place. The best part about it is the restaurant is right on the ocean with a built in deck. The menu is a bit pricey but it's worth the view you're getting. They have a special drink called the Coco Loco which has 4 rums and has a delicious creamy coconut flavor. You can carry it out to the beach if you like. Saw some tourists pay for them and head out of the hotel. This hotel was rehabbed recently, but it's still a nice place to stay for a lesser cost compared to the luxury hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple