“Ocean View Room & The Coqui @ Nite Paradise in Puerto Rico”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 14 May 2010

I was Pleasantly Surprised how Lovely The Ocean Looked From My room 201 & The sound of The coqui @ Nite AHHH:) The Bed was SOOO Comfortable & Clean as the room. When I First Opened The Curtains ( YIKES) All the Men Walking across the Street saw my boobies by Accident, So keep in Mind The Windows are Low & Wide. Mr Alberto Perez ( Owner), Monica, Linda & Lucy Treated Me like a Celebrity, Inspite the Rude Employee Angel that Shoved My Lunch on my Tanned Chest, Mr Perez Handled The Situation Promptly & Much Appreciated Complimentary Champagne & DELICIOUS Appetizers. " THE HAMBURGER LUNCH SPECIAL IS AWESOME $ 5.00" 4 STARS YUMMY!!! :) I'll Miss Carlos, He Helped me with My Bags coming & Going & Was well compensated$$$$, The Restaurant View & The Soulful Jazz Music is My Scene Thank you for That, On my Last day Complimentry Coffee & Toasted English was Superb While I'm sipping my Coffee Before Leaving For NYC..The Music Playing was: I'm In a New york State of Mind" Wow I cried :( How Ironic ? Overall The bar is Spacious & Friendly & The View of The OCEAN!!! " PRICELESS"

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 November 2009

I found this place by word of mouth. I was very apprehensive before I arrived. I wasn't sure what to expect. What I received was good courteous and geniune service. The people there tried very had to accomodate our needs. The rooms were clean and the beach was two jumps away. The restaurant/bar was cozy and the food was very good. I had a burger up to a delicious salmon with guava sauce. If you are looking for a comfortable, clean, and relaxing getaway this is the place. The views are the best.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Located literally at the waters' edge, at the far end of Isla Verde beach, sits Hotel La Playa. Tucked away in a corner, off the beaten path, and hard to find, this hotel is truly a hidden gem. It is under new ownership, and the owner has done quite a job with the place. The rooms are immaculate, and some of them (i.e Room #209) are more of a mini-suite with balconies and ocean views. The doors to the rooms have a special locking feature that prevents dampness in the rooms, even in the most humid conditions. The beds are amazingly comfortable. The staff is small and very friendly; you will know most of them by first name, including the owner, by the end of your stay. The restaurant literally sits at the oceans' edge, and has daily lunch specials for $5. Why pay hundreds to stay at a high-rise, only to have a garden view and spend even more at their over-priced restaurants, when you can stay here, at the oceans edge, seconds from the beach, with a staff that truly wants to make sure you enjoy your time. We will definitely return to Hotel La Playa.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travel2extreme
Reviewed 29 July 2009

If you're looking for a fun and relaxing getaway---San Juan is the place to be. Beautiful people, great food, relaxing beaches and a fun night life. Me and 11 of my girlfriends were there for a girls trip!!! We stayed at the La Playa Hotel--it's a small family owned and operated hotel in Isla Verde. The rooms are just ok, the view was awesome and the service was very personable. This hotel is in walking distance or short cab ride to a great night life. We were fortunate enough to encounter this fabulous local cabi --"Bully" who knew EVERYTHING about the area and we hired him the entire time we were there and at a very fair rate. If you in PR and you need a cabi---CALL HIM! [---].

GOOD FOOD-
EL Jibarito- Delish Local Authenic, Old San Juan
Metropol--FAB!! Mostly Cuban Food---DELISH! Isla Verde
Barrachina--VERY NICE--Great Food, live Music, Old San Juan

Hot Clubs--
El San Juan Hotel---Just hang out in the lobby for lots of hotties

The Bed Lounge--OMG! We had so much fun, we went 2 nights
this is an R&B Hip Hop Club

We also went to this area in Isla Verde that had several clubs in one area--we bar hopped and that was cool. All types of clubs and music.

Shopping---Old San Juan----great shops but those darn hills were trecherous. WEAR SNEAKERS.

2  Thank RedRyda
Reviewed 14 April 2009

The hotel is beautiful, great views, excellent service, delicious food. Can't wait to go back, we went a couple of days for my birthday and it was great. I went there years ago, and now it's a complete different place! Loved it!

It's so close to everything, the beach is a minute away, you can rent a car a go to the Old San Juan, or you can just walk around the area and will find everything.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2009

We took a chance at this little hotel because it is under new management and we spoke personally to the staff before the trip. The have redone the hotel and restaurant and it is great. Ten steps out the front door and you are on the same beach as the El San Juan and Intercontinental. A short walk up the street and you are on the beach of the Ritz Carlton. The location is great for restaurants and access to the bus. The room was a little small but we spent little time in the room. The hotel and room were extremely clean and the staff was very accommodating. There is always someone there to help if you need it. The restaurant was good also and the hotel offered continental breakfast as part of the room rate. We would stay there again without question!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PJBLTB
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in January. I had read the reviews on Trip Advisor, so I wasn't sure what to expect. The hotel is actually more of a 'motel,' since the rooms open to the outside, but that didn't really matter. I was happy with my stay, especially given the price.

I guess the hotel isn't technically on the beach, although it is on the water (the beach is about a 5 second walk away, across a narrow one-way street that dead ends at the ocean). We had an ocean view room, which the owner let us upgrade to for a nominal fee when we checked in. There is also a restaurant/bar on the property. Food was decent and not overpriced (lunch is better than breakfast, but I didn't have dinner). The restaurant has the best views around, because it sits right on the water. I couldn't find any other restaurants on the beach with that kind of prime location. I love to have a drink and look out on the ocean, so this definitely fit the bill.

There isn't a pool at the La Playa, but the El San Juan (right down the beach) has a nice pool and anybody can walk in, although I'm sure we weren't supposed to.

Most of the fixtures in the rooms have been replaced, but you're still not getting the Ritz (which is also right down the beach, by the way). The bottom line is my room was very clean, the beds were comfortable, and the view of the ocean was absolutely amazing. We were right over the bar but had no problems with noise.

It's a nice change of pace to stay in a small hotel where the owner is actually present and on the property. The staff was also very friendly and attentive. There was also ample parking in a separate lot.

I would recommend this hotel as a great value, especially since has 'extras' the pricier hotels don't have, like that amazing ocean view from the restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple