“Fell in love with this hotel....”
Review of La Playita

La Playita
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I'm not even sure how I stumbled across the hotel in Trip Advisor but I'm glad I did. Was looking for something reasonable and close to the airport and I found so much more. I thought this hotel was adorable...reminded me of an old school hotel in Miami or something. I loved walking in and hearing Jimmy Buffet, etc over the speakers, too. It is right on the water but you need to walk across the street to get to the actual beach.

I was upgraged to an ocean view room upon arrival..this room was great and what a view (if you are staying awhile, it would be worth the extra money, I think). There is a restaurant and bar here which overlooks the water...food was good and they had live music (tho, that did go somewhat late).

Now, this is definitely not a 4/5 star hotel, more like a 3 star but it's very cute and a good value for the money. In fact I would have given it 5 stars except I had a lot of problems with the shower and getting hot water (which I also had in OSJ-so might be a broad problem). I personally would stay in OSJ over Isla Verde but this is def a good option if it fits what you are looking for.

Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank JanetC

Reviewed 5 August 2010

We were so excited about this little spot we found! We had researched & compared deciding we did not want a cookie cutter hotel room and so chose Hotel La Playa. Walking in through the entrance the plants & manicured greenery were inviting & quaint. If this was the entrance we thought the rooms would be great! Only one room was available for our stay, for some reason no one booked it the whole week. The gentleman at the reception was kind enough to show us the room briefly. We came in & out after 10 seconds noting the view of the water & the super tiny balcony area which appeared neglected, with 2 white plastic chairs thrown about by the rain. The "balcony"'s view to the left was an abandoned hotel & trash surrounding it. If we booked it the "balcony" would be prepared nicely we were told. Although we thought the price was high & tried to get a discount to no avail (the online price was cheaper), being tired we gave in. Arriving a day or two later around 8:00PM we brought our luggage up with help. My mother in law joined us. The lady that evening, Lucy, told us there was a shortage of pillows to use one from our bed. We had 4 on our bed so we pulled one out for mother to use. Unpacking I went to the restroom & noticed a used towel hanging to dry on the ironing board... The toilet had a strange goo on the seat, we hoped it was some sort of cleaning chemical... While washing my hands I noticed the tiles to the left were covered with what looked like accumulated toothpaste rinse water splatter from past guests...We walked out to the "balcony" & saw it was exactly as we had seen it except for a small frail plant with 3 leaves (not the lush plants at the entrance or in the balcony next door), a beat up tiny round table and an extra plain wet plastic chair. There was what looked like to be a pole for an umbrella yet no umbrella just wet everything. Ok we thought at least we have a view... We pulled the curtain to the window at the left to reveal an ugly wood panel, was it covering an old A/C hole, a broken window??? It looked to have been ignored by many as layers of dust on & around this window disaster were discovered by our fingers. Lets put some drinks in the fridge, we need something to cool us down, but no small refrigerator. We decided to shop for a cooler & ice. The room key opens it & locks it so when our mother decided to stay we were actually locking her in, which we thought would be horrible if there were a real emergency. Lucy told us there was no extra key, which we found to be alarming. Anyhow, we just left the key with our mother & had to wake her up to open the door when we returned. Going for a brief walk before bed we sat by the water on the wet plastic chairs though we could only hear but not see the unlit black waves hitting the small dock. After sitting in the dark for 10 minutes we went upstairs & my wife noticed a small bite on her forehead & applied ice on it. There was a bright light in the balcony that would shine through the door, since we could not find the switch I unscrewed it... We wanted to hear the waves as we slept but there were no screens so we closed the windows & went to bed. At 2AM my wife wakes me up telling me she could not open her left eye. The left side of her face was unbelievably swollen & huge! Quickly I went to a 24HR drugstore & got some antihistamine. At 3AM we were at the Emergency Room of a local hospital. They ran labs & hooked her up to some IVs. All for 12 hrs.! While she took this treatment I went to the hotel to get our things & ask for a refund for the extra days. As I waited another guest told me how the week before she was ill with Dengue from a mosquito bite while at the hotel!! We did not want to go through any further risks so they were nice enough to refund the nights we were not staying... At the end we fled to a nearby Doubletree that was a true haven for us. Hotel La Playa has the potential to be a great spot. It has no bells & whistles yet lacks some basics as well. That it is by the water is true but I would not go back unless they put themselves in their guests shoes. Then they would be more observant & considerate...& keep their guests.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank GRAYandGIGI
AlbertoPlayita, Owner at La Playita, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2010

Like any proud owner, it hurts reading negative reviews about our property, but in the end it also helps on finishing some details that we have become used to. I am happy to announce that the faults on the rooms that our guest mentioned have been resolved. During the past month we have upgraded the furniture the balcony, installed a switch for the patio light, installed a privacy fence in order to block the view of the neighboring structure, removed the old window, wood panel and its windows treatment, removed the umbrella stand (it gets too windy up there)and planted new plants that resist the wind and ocean environment. We have also eliminated the “balcony” option front our ocean front rooms, the balcony is still there. Unfortunately the previous guests had placed a used towel behind the ironing board and we did not noticed it when doing the room, our fault. Our door and window vendor have since changed the locks on the rooms so that no key is required to unlock the door from the inside (they brought the cylinders straight from Europe!) To avoid wasting energy, we installed room fridges upon request and availability, but this reservation was made the previous day and the only request made, was to have an extra bed, just in case their mother-in-law decided to stay with them in the room, no extra pillows were needed, as all king size beds have 6 pillows as standard procedure. It is important to mention that they were assigned the only room available at the time of their reservation for the period three nights) that it was available.
Being a member of Green Hotel Association, we are considerate of the turtles that nest within our shores, and thus we avoid confusing them (they are guided by the moonlight) with artificial lightning.
Unfortunately the guest’s wife had the unfortunate event of a swollen eye, which it is unclear the reason of it (our doctors tell us that the “dengue” mosquito does not cause swelling), that really affected their experience. We asked around, and no guests ever informed us of dengue symptoms. We are very sorry about this incident, and hope they return to our lovely island again. As in the past two years, we will continue to improve our facilities and service as per your comments and suggestions. We always encourage guests to inform the front desk immediately if any situation arises, and we will do our best to solve the situation right away. Saludos from La Playita, Alberto

Reviewed 13 July 2010

The last time I visited La Playa hotel was back when I was a teenager and it still had more of a motel feel. Now, many years later (I'm almost 30), it has been renovated to something of a boutique style without losing its Caribbean flair. The staff was remarkably attentive and personable. Two of my friends and I shared the double bed ocean front room which gave us a beautiful view of the water right below and the beaches in the distance. The location of the hotel is prime. You can visit many local clubs and sights without having to pay the sometimes outrageous prices of the El San Juan or the Intercontinental. We never had a problem parking our rental car (for free) and a security guard or valet was almost always around to watch your vehicle. Lastly, La Playita Restaurant and bar which is located on the first floor of the hotel has a laid back and romantic feel that is not met anywhere else in Isla Verde. And the food - DELICIOUS and well priced in an area where other restaurants often take advantage of the tourist crowd. My friends and I cannot wait to return to La Playa.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2010

What a find!! I have stayed around the Island of Puerto Rico, usually in "name brand" hotels and was looking for a smaller, local hotel to enjoy.This is it! I had a wonderful, comfortable room! (and it was spotless) The location is perfect, its at the end of the street in a quiet Isla Verde neighborhood, the beach entrance is literally across the street. Its also walking distance to shops, other restaurants and larger hotels/casinos. The on premise restaurant and bar are wonderful...the food is fantastic and what a beautiful view of the ocean while dining. The staff there are wonderful, friendly and helpful. Linda in the front office is an asset! I would stay here again and highly recommend both the hotel and the restaurant.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 June 2010

This Hotel is a hidden gem. It seems to be the smallest hotel within a cluster of major HIgh rises. My very picky wife loved the room, Lucy at the front desk is the sweetest & Mario has the best advice far as entertainment to suit your needs. To rent jetski is only a 2min. 45 sec walk from the hotel. the beach is less than 30 seconds away. We came to San juan on memorial day party Group(urban fiesta)..and everyone within the group stayed in surrounding hotels, so it was good to be away from the loud party people at times. The food is very good & fresh: for ex. my wife yogurt was made there on the spot & our orange juice was freshly squeezed that morning! Every entree seemed prepared by a professional chef. Food was reasonably priced we spent anywhere from $5-$14 per meal per person. the hotels beer is the cheapest in the area $3 per Corona while every other hotel charge $6-$9 per beer. The room bed was plush comfortable & CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! Ceramic Tile was all over the floor bathroom walls we were very pleased! we will be back again & again

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2010

What a find - no airplane noise, staff helpful, absolute waterfront breakfast area and a basic but clean and quiet room. If you want a flashy room and lots of frills, go somewhere else and pay lots more, but this was the great value for an overnight near the airport. I would happily return for longer.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Simply put, if you want a small little motel by the water, then this is the place for you. Other than that, I would have much rather stayed at a real hotel than this place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business