“The Best Value for Your Money in Isla Verde”
Review of Villa Verde Inn

Villa Verde Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Isla Verde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2010

If you are planning to travel to San Juan and you are on a budget, then this is the hotel for you. I live in New York City and a friend recommended I visit Isla Verde in San Juan because of the nice beach. The problem is finding a hotel at an affordable price. The average price per night at high season is over $150.00. After a horrible experience at a budget hotel in Isla Verde, I stopped by Villa Verde Inn. As soon as I walked in, the first thing that impressed me was how clean the reception area was. The clerk was very courteous and gave me a price of $80 per night, almost half the price the other hotels were charging.

My room was very cleaned and spacious. There was a balcony with a view of the highway and adjacent hotels. As opposed to the previous budget hotel I was in, here everything worked. There's was an air conditioner, wi-fi, a phone, cable TV, a refrigerator, and even a microwave and nothing broke down while I was there.

It is about a 5 minute walk to the beach. You can also take the bus to El Viejo San Juan right across the street and it costs just 75 cents. I really recommend you visit El Viejo San Juan. It was one of the highlights of my trip. The colonial setting is really impressive and the seaport is beautiful. Also there's a lot of entertainment going on at nights.

In short, if you are planning to travel on a budget to San Juan, stay at Villa Verde Inn. You won't regret it. I'm already making plans to come next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 7 June 2010

I stay cause my son needed to get early to airport.........it was really near, less than five minutes, at 5:30 Am a sunday. It was clean, except from rug........they said they are working on it. bathroom where new...full beds where hard bot king bed where soft..........some noise, put not as bad as i had read.. employees all very nice and handy....
IT LOOKS a lot better than we see in the Internet picture,.. cause they are remodeling..... Fantastic location.....................overall okay.. planning to stay tomorrow(june 8, 2010)...... the price its fantastic for location........CABLE............clean except RUG...........

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We stayed here two non-consecutive nites in two different rooms. It is the cheapest hotel we could find around the airport (five minutes drive) but certainly not the cleanest. There were dead bugs on the wall and the shower smelled moldy but it was passable for the few hours we needed to rest our heads before moving on. The first nite there was no hot water. When we returned later in the week there was hot water and great water pressure in the afternoon, come the next morning there was no water at all!! Again, not the best hotel but for the price we paid it was acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WhereNextNYC
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I stayed in this place last month. THe place is just HORRIBLE!
1.) The place was dirty
2.) No carpet
3.) I was afraid to get in the pool cuz it was super dirty and I was scared that if I got in the water I would turn into a mutant.
4.)They don't offer any lotion or shampoo. just soap and cold water that takes 5 minutes to get warm.
5.) There was no phone in the room. It looks like it was ripped out of the wall leaving exposed wires.
6.) TV was only 13 inches. Pathetic!
7.) The building doesn't look up to code
8.) I had to go to the front desk for an iron. It didn't work.
9.) The A/C just blasted out air. Super hot or super cold are your choices.
10.)The bed was hard as a brick.
jrbledsoe@comcast.net with any questions. I was in room 23

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank MRBLEDSOE
Reviewed 5 December 2007

We showed up for our reservation and we shocked at the dirty conditions. The lobby was dingy and dirty, they did not offer us a locked closet to put our bags in. It was a scary situation because the hotel is on one side on a major highway and on the other side rooms opened direclty to the street, not into a main lobby and there was no security fence or other security measures to from people off the street attempting to break directly into your hotel room. In general the entire outside and lobby of the hotel looks incredibly run-down and gives you a feeling of insecurity. We cancelled our reservation immediately but they still charged us a canellation fee despite the fact that the misrepresented their place on the website. Moreover, the manager was not available for over a week, avoiding my calls and not answering a letter I sent them until a week later.

Granted $80 is cheap, but you should expect to have a certain level of cleanliness and feeling of security.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank khenvey
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I found this hotel looking thru the list of small Inns in Puerto Rico, because everything else seemed too expensive. I will keep this simple.
Advantages:
- good price, under $80 per night
- friendly staff who knew places to visit/good restarants/ways to get to places
- free breakfast included (eve thou it is ONLY pastries, orange juice and coffee)
- the beach is across the highway - 5 minute walk
- several restaurant close by (El Taquito, BarraChina, Mi Casita) - 5-10 minute walk
- casinos are also close : 5-10 minute walk
- Walgreens/Super Market/ 7 Eleven - 5-10 minute walk
- Bus Station - 5 minute walk
- has small balcony, small pool, microwave and fridge in each room

Disadvantages:
- right by the highway- very noisy :(
- not that clean - found some hairs on the white bedsheets on the first night (obviously not ours)
- shower pressure was low- was hard to take a shower- not relaxing
- too far from Old San Juan - bus costs 75 cents each way, but it takes about 45 minutes to get there with all the stops; by taxi it costs $18-$19 each way, so it's too expensive to take the round-trip each day; for $40 extra a day, you can probably find something in Old San Juan
- besides a few casinos and the beach, not too many attractions to see in the area

Overall, it is ok if you are VERY budget oriented, otherwise I would stay in OLD SAN JUAN, that is the big attraction to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Vbrocket3
Reviewed 28 June 2007

I found this place after searching through many others hotels which had mad expensive rates. I think the taxi was more expensive after hoppin from hotel to hotel. Their rates did not pass $80.00 dollars with the tax included. In top of that the rooms where very clean and confortable. The staff is great and very kind and helpfull. I know i will always talk good about this hotel and defeneatly recommend it for budget minded travelers. Another great thing about the place is its location, very centric, closest hotel to the airport and very, very close to Old San Juan and at little steps from the beach. If you are looking for a place this is the place.

Stayed: June 2007