“Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde - ok overall”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Southern Illinois/STL
“Courtyard Marriott Isla Verde - ok overall”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

My family and I stayed 5 nights there last month booking three rooms. I stay at Marriotts regularly throughout the US, Caribbean, and Mexico so I think I have a pretty good handle on evaluating them. First, the good. The staff was excellent. A little slow at check in but very friendly and they tried hard to be helpful and responsive. Terry (a male) at the outside bar was terrific. Very helpful in recommending a restaurant in Old San Juan, a great bartender, and just generally sincerely super nice. Really, everyone we encountered was quite good. More good, all the meals we had there were good. We had two dinners (one at each restaurant) and one breakfast there. The beach is one of the best in San Juan. Great boogie boarding for kids or adults (a reasonable $10 rental). Surf boards are also available. You walk out of the lobby and are on the beach 20 feet later. Awesome. The lounge/bar was rocking over the weekend. Live bands and lots of fun. The rooms were clean and comfortable but it's time for an update. Bathrooms and other fixtures are outdated. Location is ok. Convenient to the airport (some jet noise) but it's a hike to Isla Verde convenience stores, shops, and restaurants (one trade off for the good beach location). The not-so-good, one of the reasons we chose the hotel was the combination of a great beach and nice pool with a swim up bar, regular bar, full food service etc. We were VERY DISAPPOINTED to find out at check in that the pool area just started being re-constructed. They have walled off part of the pool at a narrow swim-through to keep about a third of the pool open but the main area (including the bar) is closed for construction. When one side is done they will switch to remodeling the other. Marriotts, most hotels in fact, typically note these things on their websites. It wasn't and isn't. I even called a few days before arrival to ask about the amenities and it wasn't mentioned then. When we did try to relax at the pool jackhammers, drills, and sandblasters were running most of the time. I understand that remodeling needs to occur but at least notify potential guests on the website! Even while we were on our 8th floor balcony the noise was noticeable. The hotel said 6 weeks but I talked to one of the workers who told me more like 3 months which will put the conclusion in early January 2014. I'm sure it will be great when it's done but we probably would have stayed elsewhere had we known in advance. There is no gift/convenience store either. It's closed and supposed to be redone too (contributes to the issue of a long walk to a Walgreens for a Diet Coke). Due to the great staff, beach, and food/lounge entertainment we still had a positive experience. I would have given them a 4 instead of a 3 if it wasn't for the pool issue. To the management, put a notice about pool construction on your website!

Room Tip: Rooms to the west would have the better view except the condo building immediately to that side is a...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelSaluki
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Good Afternoon Travel Saluki,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We will definitely recognize Terry for his outstanding customer service. I would like to apologize for the revamping of the pool area. We have already reopened the section of the pool where the pool grill and swim up bar is located. This area has been completely refreshed providing a vibrant look and feel. The pool will reopen completely for Thanksgiving weekend. We can send you pictures of the progress, if you would like. I hope that you can come back and enjoy the new pool. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate in contacting me. You may reach me at 787-648-8834 or Hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.
Have a great weekend,
Henry E. Neumann

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Polish first
Braintree MA
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Overall experience was great. Close to the airport, right on the beach, with a very active and entertaining lounge. Front desk was a little slow at check in, but think that is more of the way the whole island operates vs. anything wrong with the staff who were VERY friendly and helpful. Anyway, room was fine; bed very comfortable, nice big TV, small fridge. Upon checkout, the $149/night we thought we were paying became closer to $200. $25 a night fee for extra person (never heard of this one before!!). 20 something resort fee, $20 govt fee. So just be aware of this. I was able to speak to a very nice woman at the front desk (Natalia) who did remove the $25 extra person fee, but just make sure you take a close look at your bill. Taxi from airport was about $15 (they charge $12 but add $1 per bag fee). Also, airport is right across the street so there are times during the day when the sound of planes is near deafening!! There were several cats out on the beach, which I was told are there to keep Iguanas away.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall, everything was fantastic at this resort. At Sirena Restaurant, I ordered Lobster Bisque and was amazed that chunks of a whole lobster tail was in it! Although it is a resort in a prime location, I found prices reasonable. Even the locals come to enjoy the music, dancing, dining and festive atmosphere. I will only go to this place whenever I travel to Puerto Rico!

Room Tip: Had great views from a higher room, ocean view with balcony
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DonnaMariaT
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Recently started there with my fiance while island hopping in Puerto Rico it was a decent hotel. It had its high and lows.

Major note: I reserved this hotel 2 months prior and the night before arriving I called about my reservation and was told that it couldn't be found in there system anywhere and was told to call booking.com which I did and they informed me that the hotel was in the wrong but it was all resolved in the end.

Now about the hotel. It is about a 15 minute drive from the airport. As for airplane noise the only time it was heard was when we are on the beach but it isn't a big deal. There are 3 restaurants in the hotel as well as an ice cream bar/cafe and casino. We had a room on the 10th floor with a great view of the beach. The room was nice. The bathroom door wouldn't close all the way and couldn't be locked. The phone by the bed was useless for making calls, you could hear them but they couldn't hear you. The walls are very thin. We had a family staying in the room next to us who were very loud and right behind our head. The balcony is spacious which a dining table and chairs. There are 2 does for the balcony ( I say this because of walking into the second door) and if those doors are open the air conditioner will shut off.

Dining.....If you are like me there aren't many choices. Ask to see the menu before you sit down and order. We had lunch at Sirena(outdoor restaurant) our first day there and the food was good as well as the drinks. Our waiter Sebastian was very nice and on to of things. Note: there are stray cats walking around but they are very nice. We also had dinner there which was good. We both had steak with mashed potatoes and a peppercorn cream. The steak was a bit fatty but the peppercorn cream was amazing and again our waiter was great. While there we ordered room service which was good and got there quickly.

I was a bit disappointed with the pool and beach area. Just to let everyone know the hotels pool is currently under construction. They do have a pool open with a bar but it's quite small. There is a bar in the pool but the only downside of that is kids would come up and sit which I don't agree with. Our bartender was very sweet and kept conversation going. We ordered some food and drinks which were good. As far as the beach goes please be advised it is a public beach. The hotel does provide tables, chairs and umbrellas. The waves were a bit rough and not far down the beach there are a decent amount of surfers which is cool to watch. You can rent a boogie board for $10 a day.

The casino was so much fun, but it will pull you in and leave you broke. They offer drinks but they don't have much of a selection. At the concierge desk they have things you can do but they run high. We went to the bioluminescent bay while there and the hotel wanted $100 a person but upon looking online I found a place called Pure Adventure Corp that only charged $55 a person if you pay cash which picks up from the hotel. Also during the weekend at night the lobby turns into a club. There is live music and people salsa dancing throughout the lobby which was cool but makes it hard to get any service.

Overall it was a nice hotel and the staff was very pleasant. The construction took it down a decent but before me because there was no notice of this going.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the better
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here from October 28th-November 1st and have nothing but good things to say. At checkin, there were two women working at the desk. I'm not sure of their names, but they were very very polite and told us about what was happening throughout the hotel during the week. They also explained about the bar and restaurants the hotel has to offer...not to mention the places down the street. The room, itself, was good. It a small fridge that we took the shelves out to hold our beer/rum.water (you know..the important things). I had a partial ocean view room on the 4th floor. The balcony had a table with two chairs. It was a great place to sit in the mornings and relax before heading out for the day. I found the room to be very clean, and yes, there is the warning about the no see 'em bugs in the closet. Probably not the best place, but I appreciate the heads up on it. Sirena restaurant was GREAT! I took my friend there for a late dinner after winning some $ in the casino. Our waiter was Luis. He was very friendly and he provided excellent service. If you want to splurge a little...I recommend the Paello. It was worth the $33 for sure. This is an outdoor restaurant and is right on the beach. They do have a towel service as well if you are staying at the hotel. So, you won't need to bring any towels with you. You get them right by the pool and return them there as well. There was salsa dancing as well in the lobby. Everyone there seemed to be having a good time. I really did enjoy this hotel. I know the are doing some renovations right now, and that makes me want to stay there next time I'm in PR just to see what's been improved.

Room Tip: You are going to hear planes taking off. I wasn't really bothered by this though.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Braumeister24
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 November 2013

When my boyfriend and I decided to have a weekend get away, we had the fortune of finding a great resort in Isla Verda. The room was clean, had a great view, service was top notch, casino was fun, beach was amazing, and Sally (our favorite bartender) always made sure we were taken care of.

If you visit this location, be sure to stop and see Sally at Sirena's. She came up with some fantastic drink ideas for us and always made sure we were taking care of.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travis M
Columbia, Maryland, EEUU
Reviewed 8 November 2013

i stayed 3 nights at Courtyard, Isla Verde. Clearly not a traditional Courtyard, but a resort hotel. I found the amenities solid, casino, pool, beach, bar, restaurant, etc. there were signs and info on the no see um's and offered to spray you down with off...this is not only a problem at this location, it is a problem all over Puerto Rico....(just as bad a the Ritz next door)
I stayed in room 620 and the view was excellent of the ocean, once you looked past the roof below. this hotel is well used (at least room 620 was) and I was told being renovated, even though I did not see that. for example, room 620 had the shower rod loose and coming out of the wall, the slip over lock for the door was half broken, (but worked), the leg on the roll out desk was broken, I had to call maintenance on the ac, which was promptly fixed. my room had a refrigerator which is a plus. the bar was comfortable and well managed, staff pleasant and efficient. I ate in the restaurant and food was good and reasonably priced, free coffee in the lobby in the morning. internet in the room was free and flawless
I would not discourage visiting this resort, but it is not like a USA Courtyard or even the Courtyard in Miramar.....the beach is beautiful and the pool very nice.....a few restaurants like Metropol is within walking distance and an excellent restaurant and there is a Dennys across the street. I would stay at the Isla Verde Courtyard again.

Room Tip: even numbered had a ocean view......
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!