“Excellent Option”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Dallas, Texas
“Excellent Option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was not a vacation where we were looking for luxury. We have done that at Fairmont Banff, Canada. This was a vacation to be on a beach and this hotel fulfilled that wish. Yes, this place is stone throw away from the Airport but if you have room that faces the beach and you close the doors at night, you cannot hear any airport noise. Let me start by saying that we are not very finicky people, we make do as long as nothing is life-threatening. The hotel is a COURTYARD, so don't expect Ritz Carlton style luxury. This hotel is a block away from the Carlton but with better views of the water. We stayed in room 825 and faced the water. The check in was seamless, no problems at all. The view in the morning was priceless. You see the ocean till the eye can travel. The housekeeping was adequate. We made sure we paid a tip every morning, in advance and then we would get anything that we asked for. At one point there were 9 bath towels in the room for 3 people. You get what you pay for!!!! You treat them well and they treat you well.
The beach is very nice, with plenty of chairs and stools and umbrellas that the hotel provides. The hammocks are a good place to relax too. On weekends they have a bracelet system that works well. The beach towels were really nice. In general the staff was very courteous and helpful. We did not encounter any rude people.
The one thing this place needs to improve upon is the eating options. The restaurants are very average. Serina was a good place but way too pricey for the quality. The location of the restaurant is excellent. It’s practically on the beach, with very good seating options. There is a bar in this restaurant too, which is also pretty good. We had some Mojitos here that were excellent.
All and All this was a great place for our vacation and we would go back to this hotel the next time we are in San Juan.

Room Tip: Two Words... Ocean Front. You can't beat the view. Ask for Ocean Front rooms, the higher the flo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (705)
  • Polish first
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Beautiful location on the beach,clean room.Loved the Salsa in the lobby every night! Service at the lobby bar our first night was great.Over-all wonderful experience.Would definitely return.There Dec4-9th 2013.

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have stayed twice in this property. First time was in 2008 using a government rate. Back then check in was good and services were great.

I since returned in December of 2013. I used hotwire to bid for a 4 star hotel and got a reservation here. Initially I was happy and looking forward to returning, but I left the property disappointed. When i first checked in, the property wanted to charge me for a third guest despite directly paying hotwire for the three guests. Of course I showed them the receipt that clearly stated that the rate included 3 guests. After debating for 15 minutes, management took out the charge "as a favor". When we got to our room, the TV image would often freeze and stay out of sync with the sound. Around 2 AM on our first night, the smoke alarm somehow started making soft (but nevertheless annoying) sounds. All three of us awoke, but were too tired to call the front desk. Finally, when we checked out one day later, the hotel wanted to charge us twice for taxes. Again, we contacted the front desk where (luckily) the receptionist was aware of the issue and fixed the issue. I left the conversation pondering whether the hotel knew all along about this issue.

I do not want to make this only a negative review, because the beach staff in particular was very nice, courteous, and friendly. When we needed help getting towels, setting chairs, or getting local recommendations, they were prompt and helpful. Their service was excellent.

Overall, however, I would be cautious when dealing with this property.

Room Tip: Since all rooms have a beach view, you can ask for a view looking east towards the airport or lookin...
1 Thank bigbird090
Hawthorne, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have stayed at other Courtyard Marriott hotels before and I don't think I have ever seen such a poorly maintained hotel. For starters, I walked into the room and the first thing I noticed was the pungent smell of mildew that filled the air. The bathroom and bath tub looked poorly maintained. I sincerely thought it was just something that would eventually go away. Since we got there late we decided to go for a quick walk around the premises. We went to check out the casino area. I asked the server if I could order a drink and he told me that he was no longer clocked in so that I would have to wait till the next person started their shift. Guess what? The next person never came around the casino , so instead we walked out to to beach area and sat on one of the hammocks. Little did I know this would be the worse decision ever. In a matter of minutes I felt a burning sensation. It turns out that I had been bitten all over my arms, feet and back. This ruined my whole experience for the rest of the trip I was extremely uncomfortable and itchy. We went back upstairs and I began unpacking my luggage, when I opened the closet there was a tiny little sign that recommended bug spray to the beach bugs. This of course was what made me even more upset. There were two hotel workers that watched us as we sat down on the hammock and said nothing to warn us of the possible implications. The next day I went to the front desk to ask about the sign and the girl at the desk confirmed it.She noted that these bugs were more prominent when it rained and in the evenings. It had been raining earlier that day. You would think that the staff and front desk would have sign up front when you first check in. How hard is it to do that? After that day, I was no longer sure if the additional bites are from the hotel or the beach, since I didn't really spend much time at the beach after that incident. I of course went and purchased bug spray and itch relief spray.
I am now back home and still suffering the consequences of these bites. I don't think I will ever stay at this hotel again.

3 Thank YRamos2013
Westfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

The hotel is clean; the casino just off the lobby is bustling; the pools and beach are beautifully maintained. The outdoor Sirena restaurant, which sits at the edge of the sand and features a 3-piece instrumental ensemble playing soothing standards. Its indoor counterpart, Salsa, offered a limited salad bar and greasy pastas and soups. After a late stroll along the beach, we settled into our top-floor ocean-view room and discovered that the hotel is not only in the flight path of SJU airport, but is separated from the runway by only a two-lane road. Between the wind-tunnel effect of the ocean breeze whirling between the hotels on the strip and the frequent jet takeoffs, we spent a sleepless night alternating between moaning and laughing because we felt like we were in that Woody Allen movie where the family apartment sits under the Coney Island roller coaster.

Room Tip: A lower-floor room might have less wind shear.
1 Thank ASGNJ
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We actually started our vacation at a different hotel (terrible) and then moved here. Booked our stay on very short notice with no problems. Honestly, this place felt like paradise - with one major exception. Airplane noise. This is the first hotel on the Isla Verde strip right by the airport. Depending on the day and the time, it can be a minor interruption or a major annoyance. For the most part, it didn't interfere with our vacation, although I did wake up every morning to an airplane, put in some earplugs and then fell back asleep and I did get annoyed once in a while when sitting in a hammock listening to the ocean and instead hearing airplanes.

Otherwise, no real complaints. The hotel is right on the beach, and it's a gorgeous beach. We checked out a few other parts of the island, and this was the nicest beach we visited. (It's worth noting that the Ritz Carlton, which is at least three times the price of this hotel, is only two doors down and I'd guess has a similar quality beach and airplane noise issue). Nice pool and hot tub too. We stopped by for an evening dip once or twice. The restaurants are convenient, but just okay. It's nice sitting outside with the beach view, and the breakfast is good, but I'd suggest you go out for lunch and dinner. The bar was pretty happening. There was a live salsa band playing most nights which was cool.

The room itself was nice. Roomy, clean, quiet and comfortable (other than airplane noise). We were apparently on the quiet side of the hotel. We still had a beach view, but between the noise of the planes and the A/C units below our window, no ocean sounds so we mostly kept our doors shut (double sliding glass doors to block out most but not all of the airplane noise).

Location was good. Right by the airport as Ive mentioned. Probably a half hour from Old San Juan with traffic and all. An hour or so from El Yunque and Luquillo.

If/when we come back, I'll probably do some research. If I can find a similar hotel a little farther from the airport, I might go with it. But otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. We had a great vacation and really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raph105
Port Moody, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here the first week of December on the 8th floor and our friends stayed on the 10th floor. The hotel was clean, the staff friendly and helpful and cant beat the location......right on the beach. We had a two bed partial ocean view. The hotel is a little outdated and has cracks in the tiles in the bathroom and in the shower, older carpets however the beds were very comfortable.We had an issued with our fridge but phoned down and by the time we got back to our room it was fixed. We also had an issued with our air conditioner but I just hit the reset button and all was good. Our Chambermaid, Maria was excellent, always had a smile on her face and was there if we needed anything....we Loved her to bits:)
There are lots of great restaurants within walking distance as well. It is very close to the airport and very loud when the planes are taking off and landing.....I didn't mind it myself, in fact when I was on the beach I enjoyed watching the planes taking off. They start about 7:30 in the morning and go till about 11 at night but like I said it didn't really bother me. I loved the fact that the hotel was right on the beach and we could just walk out the door and staff was there to set up chairs and umbrellas for you. We only ate at the restaurant outside and the food was really good, I can't say to the bar inside (although it seems to be rockin there on the weekends) Didn't try the buffet either but did look at it and it looked quite good.
On the downside.....they were doing some renos etc so the outside bathrooms were closed and all blocked off and there was some construction/renovation noise. Also, when I go away I like to spend part of my time on the beach then later on move to the pool area....I don't really like the feeling of salt water on my body so I like to dip in the pool and get refreshed....unfortunately the pool was so warm it was like stepping into a warm bath. I couldnt bare getting into the pool as it was NOT refreshing at all. I would say that was my biggest disappointment with the hotel.
I would definately recommend this hotel and stay here again if I ever make it over this way again:)

Room Tip: Definately recommend a partial ocean or full ocean view
1 Thank SheeSheef
Padin, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
We appreciate your kind message regarding the exemplary service you received while staying at the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort and the time you set aside to share your experience. Exceptional associates who exceed guest expectations are a source of pride. Individuals such as Maria truly define the tradition of exceptional service we strive to maintain.

We post TripAdvisor.com reviews in our staff lounge and I know that all 290 members of our Courtyard family will be happy to read your kind remarks. We work hard at continually upgrading our facilities and services to make sure that people like you not only return but encourage your friends and colleagues to experience our beautiful property. I look forward to meeting you personally when you return for your 2nd visit!

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you.

@ Your Service

Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,762 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!