“Great Beach, and off the strip!”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Located on the beach, 10 mins. from the airport this hotel has really good food at good prices. The live music is the best of the local bands to enjoy the small dance area and a drink. Hotel has a small casino. I think this is the best priced hotel with as much to offer.

Room Tip: The hotel is near the airport so try to get a room facing the beach. I will say that you don't r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located right in front of the beach only few steps to get to the water. It is very close to the airport so you can hear the airplanes, we didn't mind that. The food is good also there is a restaurant in front of the beach for a romantic dinner. There is also live music at the lobby with Latino band, we enjoy dancing after dinner. If you feel like gambling ther is a cacino. The pool is very good and the kids had a great time swimming at night the pool is heated and change color.
The rooms are comfortable, good size and bathrooms have good size too.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed previously for a night or two a few years ago so we knew what we were getting. We went 12/20/13 and checked out yesterday, Christmas day.

Really, I think we got what we paid for. It was less than $200 a night and we didn't get nickle and dimed for everything. Internet, beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas, bottles of water are included.

It's not the cleanest and definitely in need of updating. The restaurant food is average. But the staff were great - especially manager Rafeal, front desk Katerina and a fantastic guy at the beach named Harry.

It's close to some good restaurants (especially in Ritz Carlton).

The airport noise was a drag but we did not hear it in our room. Super loud on the lanai and loud on the beach.

the beach is wide and wasn't crowded.

Most of the other places I considered were twice the cost.

Not a bad fitness room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachoh
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was not a vacation where we were looking for luxury. We have done that at Fairmont Banff, Canada. This was a vacation to be on a beach and this hotel fulfilled that wish. Yes, this place is stone throw away from the Airport but if you have room that faces the beach and you close the doors at night, you cannot hear any airport noise. Let me start by saying that we are not very finicky people, we make do as long as nothing is life-threatening. The hotel is a COURTYARD, so don't expect Ritz Carlton style luxury. This hotel is a block away from the Carlton but with better views of the water. We stayed in room 825 and faced the water. The check in was seamless, no problems at all. The view in the morning was priceless. You see the ocean till the eye can travel. The housekeeping was adequate. We made sure we paid a tip every morning, in advance and then we would get anything that we asked for. At one point there were 9 bath towels in the room for 3 people. You get what you pay for!!!! You treat them well and they treat you well.
The beach is very nice, with plenty of chairs and stools and umbrellas that the hotel provides. The hammocks are a good place to relax too. On weekends they have a bracelet system that works well. The beach towels were really nice. In general the staff was very courteous and helpful. We did not encounter any rude people.
The one thing this place needs to improve upon is the eating options. The restaurants are very average. Serina was a good place but way too pricey for the quality. The location of the restaurant is excellent. It’s practically on the beach, with very good seating options. There is a bar in this restaurant too, which is also pretty good. We had some Mojitos here that were excellent.
All and All this was a great place for our vacation and we would go back to this hotel the next time we are in San Juan.

Room Tip: Two Words... Ocean Front. You can't beat the view. Ask for Ocean Front rooms, the higher the flo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Beautiful location on the beach,clean room.Loved the Salsa in the lobby every night! Service at the lobby bar our first night was great.Over-all wonderful experience.Would definitely return.There Dec4-9th 2013.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have stayed twice in this property. First time was in 2008 using a government rate. Back then check in was good and services were great.

I since returned in December of 2013. I used hotwire to bid for a 4 star hotel and got a reservation here. Initially I was happy and looking forward to returning, but I left the property disappointed. When i first checked in, the property wanted to charge me for a third guest despite directly paying hotwire for the three guests. Of course I showed them the receipt that clearly stated that the rate included 3 guests. After debating for 15 minutes, management took out the charge "as a favor". When we got to our room, the TV image would often freeze and stay out of sync with the sound. Around 2 AM on our first night, the smoke alarm somehow started making soft (but nevertheless annoying) sounds. All three of us awoke, but were too tired to call the front desk. Finally, when we checked out one day later, the hotel wanted to charge us twice for taxes. Again, we contacted the front desk where (luckily) the receptionist was aware of the issue and fixed the issue. I left the conversation pondering whether the hotel knew all along about this issue.

I do not want to make this only a negative review, because the beach staff in particular was very nice, courteous, and friendly. When we needed help getting towels, setting chairs, or getting local recommendations, they were prompt and helpful. Their service was excellent.

Overall, however, I would be cautious when dealing with this property.

Room Tip: Since all rooms have a beach view, you can ask for a view looking east towards the airport or lookin...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bigbird090
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I have stayed at other Courtyard Marriott hotels before and I don't think I have ever seen such a poorly maintained hotel. For starters, I walked into the room and the first thing I noticed was the pungent smell of mildew that filled the air. The bathroom and bath tub looked poorly maintained. I sincerely thought it was just something that would eventually go away. Since we got there late we decided to go for a quick walk around the premises. We went to check out the casino area. I asked the server if I could order a drink and he told me that he was no longer clocked in so that I would have to wait till the next person started their shift. Guess what? The next person never came around the casino , so instead we walked out to to beach area and sat on one of the hammocks. Little did I know this would be the worse decision ever. In a matter of minutes I felt a burning sensation. It turns out that I had been bitten all over my arms, feet and back. This ruined my whole experience for the rest of the trip I was extremely uncomfortable and itchy. We went back upstairs and I began unpacking my luggage, when I opened the closet there was a tiny little sign that recommended bug spray to the beach bugs. This of course was what made me even more upset. There were two hotel workers that watched us as we sat down on the hammock and said nothing to warn us of the possible implications. The next day I went to the front desk to ask about the sign and the girl at the desk confirmed it.She noted that these bugs were more prominent when it rained and in the evenings. It had been raining earlier that day. You would think that the staff and front desk would have sign up front when you first check in. How hard is it to do that? After that day, I was no longer sure if the additional bites are from the hotel or the beach, since I didn't really spend much time at the beach after that incident. I of course went and purchased bug spray and itch relief spray.
I am now back home and still suffering the consequences of these bites. I don't think I will ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!