Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Tampa, United States
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Stayed here a lot between 2004 and 2010 and after a hiatus back again this month, (January 2014). Rooms showing their age but overall the hotel is a good choice if you want off the noisy Isla Verde area, (next to the Airport but after 1000 pm very little aircraft traffic). Great outdoor restaurant and situated on a quiet stretch of beach. Considering I'm almost always there on business, the daily resort fee this trip of $42.30 was rather excessive.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have at least a partial ocean view but you want a room ending in an "even"...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Polish first
Jenison, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I travel to PR frequently, and generally stay at La Concha, a fantastic resort. This is no that, no question. The room we stayed was clean, bur very in need of updating. The rooms are tired. However, there pool and beach area (including the outdoor bar and restaurant are very nice). If you generally stay at new, fancy hotels, you likely will be disappointed. But, if you don't spend much time in your room, this is usually a bargain. I have found it to be clean, the beach is wonderful, and the swim up bar is more than adequate. It's usually less than 1/2 the price of the other flag hotels in condado.

Room Tip: Ask for beach side... The air pong noise can be loud on the other side.
3 Thank angler705
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

we spent nearly a week here in early january. i had read the reviews for nearly a year and knew well ahead of time what i should expect: a great, great beach in carolina beach, a super clean resort hotel with wonderful service and high end if not 5 star elegance. marriott isla verde exceeded all of my expectations. i have never, ever stayed at a resort hotel where the employes, from the beach hand to the restaurant manager, were so genuinely friendly and helpful. example: at breakfast one morning at the salsa restaurant, the manager stopped by to say hello. when i mentioned how good the coffee was, he told me the name, said i could buy it at san juan grocery outlets and gave me the names of the closest stores where i could get it. oh, and he tossed in a half inch thick booklet on what to do in san juan and the rest of puerto rico. as others have said, the food is quite good. you'll love sitting outside at lunch or dinner at serena with the waves crashing the shore about 50 feet away. ok, for some reason they no longer give you free coffee at bananas, the in lobby ice cream bar. a small price to pay. if you do want super, super elegant dining, the ritz carlton's fine restaurants are a 5 minute walk away. a few tips on san juan itself. the isla verde is in the municipality of carolina, a 20 minute taxi ride from the downtown area. that will set you back $19 each way. a better deal--in daylight--is walk just past the ritz to the bus stop at the wendy's restaurant on isla verde avenida. take the 5 or the 143 bus for 75 cents each way if you want to go to old town. you will get a firsthand view of downtown san juan and then a brief view of some rather startling slums just beyond downtown and your ride will end at the bus terminal at pier 4 where the cruise ships dock. right there you will find and board the free trolleys that will take you to san juan's morro and san cristobal forts that the spaniards built 400 years ago and into the narrow, cobblestone streets of old san juan and its multiple small shops and restaurants. get off and reboard at your leisure. what a great way to take a break from the beach for a day! you'll get a map of the trolley stops and they are numbered so you can keep track of where you have been and what's ahead. ok, one word of caution: for some reason, the trolleys (really green buses in two of the three cases) sometimes take routes that do not follow the map. big deal. sit back and enjoy the adventure because they always bring you back to pier 4. hey, have a super time on a caribbean island where, amazingly, the residents are actually friendly and extremely helpful to tourists.

4 Thank grambo07
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I just returned from a stay here and we were very pleased. I have stayed at a number of different resorts in Isla Verde and Courtyard Marriott was a great experience. The food at the hotel is really good, the pool is nice, huge hot tub and right on the beach - with free chairs, and umbrellas for hotel guests! We were looking for low-key and we got just that. There was live entertainment at night (Salsa) and the casino had a decent crowd, but it was definitely not the crowded club scene I've experienced at a number of other "top" properties in Isla Verde. This is also a hotel I would bring our small children back to. There are a number of complaints about it being loud because of airplanes, and its true but that is the same for all properties on Isla Verde beach (its a stones throw from airport)! Didnt bother us though!
My one and only major complaint was that they were doing work on our floor (12th fl) and it would start early in the morning (7-8am) We were on a kid-free anniversary trip so our dreams of sleeping in were shattered lol. While i found everyone at the hotel to be very friendly and deliver great service, I was disappointed that the front desk agent did not even offer to comp a few drinks off our bill when I told her about it. I am a Elite Rewards Member, but she kinda just said "sorry I will follow up with them on that" and sent us on our way to airport. Oh well. Experience was definitely positive overall.

1 Thank Nicol572
Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

My husband and I are elite platinum and we booked pretty last minute as we are heading for a family reunion in Dorado. Check in was pretty seamless although we didn't get the king bed we requested.
When I arrived in the room I walked over to the sliding glass door to see the view and my socks were sopping wet. The air conditioner had leaked out to almost the middle of the room. I called and I must say they sent someone up immediately to wet vacuum it up. Another guy took off the front of the air conditioner but basically told me it was condensation. By evening the rug was soaked again. We requested a room change for not only that reason but we were directly above the huge restaurant vent. Instead of smelling ocean breezes, we smelled Charasco beef and onions VERY strongly. I wanted ocean front to hear the ocean, but being vegetarians I had to close the door. In the morning it was bacon and sausage. The smell is so strong I doubt it is healthy.
The manager was great, even came into room and agreed it was terrible. He upgraded us to a top floor suite that was super but I have to say it was on the same side of the building (full front oceanview) and the cooking smell was just as strong.
We had kids and grandkids come for pasta dinner and that was great and they really accomodated a 1 and 3 yr. old. Icecream arond the very lovely pool and a swim were wonderful. The staff was great. Breakfast on the beach was super.
I guess I want the hotel management and Marriott to know that your premium rooms are in the front of that building. To have a HUGE cooking vent going up the side of the building is a big mistake. I can't believe I haven't read this complaint before on this forum. I am writing this looking out the window now and the patio door is closed because the smell of heavy grease and food is overwhelming. Put this vent on the side of the building. The smoke and smell go right into your most desireable rooms. We are checking out today for this reason which is a shame because you have a goo thing going here.

Room Tip: I don't know what to tell you other than stay on a side room but then you have the airport. We...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I used Reward points to book our room at this Category 6 hotel and it was a high DISAPPOINTMENT. The bathrooms were so old, the grout had turned black or was chipped; the bathroom countertop and floor was dirty; there was nothing in one of the amenity bottles; the "Sparkling Clean" glass was dirty; there was trash on the floor in the bedroom...Definitely not what I would have expected from a Category 6 property. Maybe a Category 4 at best and that only because of the location. Not a good use of our points!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy A
Holiday, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week for our 20th anniversary! Check in was very easy. The first room we were put in was on the 12th floor and faced the beach and airport. While the view was pretty to the beach, the noise from the planes taking off and landing was crazy loud...even with the doors closed. The room and bathroom need major updating but were clean. After 2 days, we couldn't take the noise anymore and requested another room which the front desk provided. The new room on the 4th floor directly facing the water was much quieter although it still needed updating. But once again it was clean. The pool area is beautiful and the iguanas are cool to see!

The wifi stinks at this hotel! We got the password but couldn't connect wirelessly in our room. Apparently we weren't the only ones because lots of guests hang out in the lobby with their mobile devices. They need to upgrade their wifi strength and install more locations to be able to access internet from your room.

Also, if you rent a car, be prepared to pay an additional $16 per day at the parking garage which I thought was ridiculous since we were staying at the hotel and not there only for the casino. They should either include that price in the hotel room rate or at least provide a 50% discount or something.

If you want to sleep in, be aware that sometimes the housekeepers make a lot of noise in the hallway that you can hear in your room. While I understand they have a job to do, they should be a little more conscientious of the volume of their voices especially when there is a do not disturb sign on the door.

If you plan to be here for a week, the eating options are very limited. There are a few restaurants in the hotel but they are a little pricey. If you bring kids here, there is nothing for them to do in the evening other than be in the pool. And during the week we didn't see the band playing at the bar so you would need to venture out in a taxi into town somewhere.

Lastly, when my husband made the reservation over 8 months before we were going, he put a note on the reservation that we would be celebrating our 20th anniversary. Anyways, I would have thought that the hotel would have done something...even a fruit basket or a bottle of wine...but nothing which was surprising! Oh well, we walked to Walgreens and picked up a bottle of wine ourselves!

Overall, the hotel is nice but I am sure it would be better for the price if the rooms were updated.

Stayed January 2014
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#19 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,765 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!