“Great Beach hotel”

Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a hotel in the Caribbean for the first time. The price of this hotel is definitely better then the others down the beach. It has a nice resort feel to it. I'll start with the staff- had nothing but positive experiences the entire time(best service and hardest workers were definitely the two beach chair/umbrella guys on the beach. They were not treated well by obnoxious, we own the world, kiss my ring guests but never, EVER were anything but courteous. Anyway, drink service is ok, a bit under staffed I thought but doable. The chairs, as usual, are reserved by too many people who have their towels sitting in the sun while they are nowhere to be found. If you're looking for a chair at peak hours after 10-10:30 am it got a little dicey.

Food at the Marriott was good, but not great and a little pricey but not as bad as it can be. I absolutely suggest heading about 1/2 mile to a mile up the street towards Old San Juan. The local places are stupendous, more affordable, but depending on the place can be pretty slow. I would not recommend a cab as they are rather expensive and because it's a tourist zone police are everywhere. Walking is better for you anyway. If you are going to Old San Juan take the bus that passes by about twice and hour. It's the difference of a 5 dollar round trip vs about 80. The whole area is bilingual because it's such a tourist zone. There is easy access to a Walgreens, chain restaurants (no need but if you must) and a small supermarket.

We were there on Easter weekend so Live Salsa bands played in the hotel bar but I think that usual not just because of the holiday. Drinks there are good but pretty pricey.
Pool bar had best drinks in our view, but limited options.

One last note, no see-um bug bites were nasty. Either bring bug spray in carry-on or go to Walgreens. By the early evening, you will be covered in bites. Oh and FYI- the hotel is right next to the airport. Yes, right next to it so it a plane taking off is a deal killer for you, stay away. Inside you don't hear much but outside you definitely do.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Jeff R
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am so glad to hear that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your first stay in the Caribbean! Our staff at the pool and beach definitely do work very hard to accommodate our guests; thanks for noting that. When planning your next trip please do not hesitate to contact me at 787-648-8834 or hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

For a hotel that prides itself for being a family friendly location, it was everything but that. We parked our car in a dark parking lot and had to walk to the lobby. The lobby had extremely loud music playing. The hotel restaurant had a very bland buffet. The room was a very partial view of the ocean and full view of the apartments next door. The balcony railing looked like it was broken before and plastered to stay intact. We were given a room next to the ice maker and heard people coming and going all night. We left after one night to the Intercontinental.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

We have live Salsa music every weekend at our lobby bar, which is very popular with our guests as well as locals. Preventive maintenance is continuously performed to all of rooms. Our newly renovated pools, ocean front location, and ice cream bar are a big hit with guests all of ages. I wish we could have spoken during your stay with us. If I can be of assistance, please contact directly at Hneumann@sjcourtyard.com or 787-648-8834.
Henry E. Neumann

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is nice for families and business travels alike. The amenities were more than enough for us. We were also given a great ocean view room with two free bottles of water every day. The beach is gorgeous and they supplies chairs and umbrellas for all guest that want them. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Buy bug spray for your trip if you are going to El Yunque National Forest and if you are on the beac...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charlie g

I agree with you Charlie, either for business or vacation we have it all. As a matter of fact many of our corporate travelers mix business with pleasure by bringing their families along to spend time in Puerto Rico. I hope you can come back soon; please feel free to contact me for any future reservation.

hneumann@sjcourtyard.com

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I spent two days here after my cruise. I only wish it had been longer. It is located right on the beach. There are restaurants on premises - one outdoors, a buffet and a coffee/breakfast café. There is a salsa bar with live music. It is conveniently located, close to restaurants and minutes from the airport. The staff was friendly and courteous. Rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of the ocean, you have to upgrade. Personally, I like the view from...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Henry N, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

I hope you can come back soon, and next time you should definitely stay longer ! Next time please feel free to contact me.

hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I travel here once a month and this is my go-to hotel. There are fancier hotels nearby, but this is more comfortable and relaxed. It's a full service Courtyard, with a casino, lobby bar, Buffet style restaurant, outside restaurant and a pool bar, complete with swim up pool bar stools! I feel very safe here and have brought family and friends to visit as well. The staff is fantastic and remember me by name every month. I highly recommend.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevator rooms and rooms near housekeeping if you want to sleep in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Amy C

Thanks for being such a loyal customer; I am happy to know that we are your “go-to” hotel. For you future trips please feel free to contact me at 787-648-8834 or hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

From the street was not expecting much from this hotel. Was a business trip and booked by a 3rd party agency. Close to the airport - wsa thinking it would be pretty blah. What a surprise to find it was actually right on the beach with beautiful views. It's currently under going construction which makes it noisy and the main entrace was partially blocked when we were staying there. My room was not wonderful for a view (2nd floor - over the loading dock) but was at least set at an angle to where I could see a little sliver of ocean. They do the beach front well - with restaurants on the terrace. Could use a little better service - oh how I would have liked someone to offer me a cold beverage while I was getting my 30 min break in the hammock! The lunch menu is limited on the terrace restuarant (may have been larger inside but I wanted to sit by the ocean), but the dinner munu was more expansive, and the lobster bisque soup was fantastic. Was tipped by a co-worker that it was a meal in itself, and it was. Not much choice on shopping - just one small store. I'm not really interested in the casino, so that was of no use to me. Good coffee bar in the lobby. Yes, close to the airport was loud with air traffic, but overall it was a really nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Terri H

It is good to hear that the hotel was a pleasant surprise. I am happy that you were able to enjoy yourself during your business trip! For you next booking please feel free to contact me at 787-648-8834 or hneumann@sjcourtyard.com.

Regards,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in San Juan, like Marriott Stellaris ( 3 times), Verdanza, Sheraton Old San Juan, El Caribe Hilton, all of them good hotels, except for El Caribe Hilton which was like a train station, and the HiltonHonours room where not as good as those in the main wing (Tower).
But, now I have found the hotel which I will use for my next cruises: Courtyard Isla Verde. Stayed in room 1222, fine view of the beach, and yes, there were some noise from the airport, but when the airplanes passed our hotel, they did not make much noise as they do back by Hampton and El San Juan hotel.
Room was very nice, and the pool and the beach area was the best I have seen so far.
There is an inexpensive restaurant inside the hotel, and there is a nice restaurant outside. And a poll restaurant.

Room Tip: The rooms facing away from Old San Juan have unobstructed view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Svein

I am so happy that you found the perfect hotel for your next cruises. When planning your next trip please do not hesitate to contact me.
hneumann@sjcourtyard.com

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Embassy Suites by Hilton San Juan Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!