“True meaning of "You get what you paid for."”

Coral by the Sea Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“True meaning of "You get what you paid for."”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I paid $70.00/night for a two night stay. Not an expensive hotel but still not cheap. I arrived at 3:30 pm, the room was approx 90 degrees and the air conditioner did not work, at all. Plus I tried to take a shower but had no towels. I tried calling the reception area, but phone in room didn’t work. I walked down to reception and told them of the issues. Nothing happened. Walked back down two hours later and was told I would get towels at 6 pm because they had none available. Nothing again. Walked back down 6:30 pm, to go to Dinner and was giving more excuses why I had no towels and that the AC had been checked and was broken. They would fix it by that night. Was called by the hotel while at dinner and was told that AC would be replaced. I begged them to leave me towels and they stated that they would. Arrived at room at 1:30 am, new AC working, no towels. Left room next day at 8 am and told reception I still hadn’t gotten any towels and I needed towels to take a shower. Returned from playing golf at 4 pm, and guess what, no towels. Walked outside the room and ran into the cleaning lady. I asked her for towels, in 15 min she brought me two towels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Hartsville, SC
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Coral by the Sea should change their name to Last Resort. There are a tremendous amount of choices in the Isla Verde area. This was our first choice, due to the price. However, it was not a good hotel. I called the font desk to get the Wi-Fi code, and guess what, folks.... I was charged $3.00 for making a phone call. (I didn't call the hotel's main phone number, I simply dialed 0 to get the front desk.) Also, this is type of hotel where you have to go down to front desk to get the remote for the television, but make sure you take it back, or it's another trip to the room!

The other reviews are correct, in that the room was clean, the TV worked and the AC was functional. And as the other reviews state, if you are staying for one night, and will not be at the hotel, no problem. But, no matter how much you save, it's just not worth the difference. Stay somewhere else!

If I cannot sway you, and you are dead set on staying here, try to select your room cautiously. Depending on the room location, the noise from the airport could be unbearable.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel would be advisable.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Isla Verde hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I recently stayed here after spending a few days at another hotel in Old San Juan. I spent my first days in San Juan sightseeing and going out to El Yunque and avoiding the beach, and I figured on my last day that I would get a room at Isla Verde to spend all day at the beach, and be closer to the airport for my departure the next morning.

I came around 2:30 to check in and my room was ready, which was very convenient. The room was just enough for one person for one night...a bed, a bathroom, A/C. Granted, it's not the most comfortable bed or the quietest air conditioner, but is's also not a resort, and if you want a resort you can pay twice as much for what I'm sure are lovely resorts down the street. Honestly, if all you want to do is spend a day or two at the beach and you're a pretty low maintenance person, this is perfectly fine.

The woman at the front desk when I checked in was very nice and personable. There are two restaurants at which you get a discount for showing your room key. The beach is just right down the street. The bus to the airport is right across the street and it's a quick ride, which really can't be beat.

In short, good for a quick stay or a beach stay, particularly if you're not picky. If you're used to staying in Hiltons or more expensive resorts, you won't like this at all. But if you're low maintenance, or you're willing to compromise just a little bit of comfort to save a few bucks, this hotel is perfect.

2 Thank dc1990
Miami, Florida, United States
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was pleased with the hotel. I only stayed one night. The room was decent, nice TV and AC. The WIFI worked great and the hotel staff was kind enough to print my boarding pass. I would recommend it based on price. The location is nice because it's near everything (beach, restaurants, shopping). Parking is included. Overall good rate for a decent place.

1 Thank Jennifer M
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I'm a little late posting my review, I stayed here back in Nov 2011 on a cruise. I stayed a day before. This is the worst customer service ever! They wouldn't let me check n early, or even keep my bags. The floors were marble cold, very minimum accessories to use. I would not stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it, sorry, and I write very good reviews when I get good service.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
albq, nm
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Coral by the Sea Hotel is in fact, by, the sea. Not too much of a walk. Not too much of anything. The shower was literally half the size of any I have ever seen. Lamp shades of orange and maroon were made of a piece of cloth. Turning on all 4 lights provided a dim room in which reading was impossible. The bed was alright, but the thin pillows were quite lumpy. However the a/c was very good at cooling the room. For $75 a night I was disappointed, had it been less I might have given a higher rating.

Wifi was available, but no computers. There was a couple of snack vending machines.

The restaurant that connect to the hotel that I was advised to have breakfast at was an ice cream and bakery shop that served a few other items during the breakfast hours. Yet the price of single cup of coffee was $2.00 and $4.00 for juice.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I am not the pickiest person in the world. I can live with an average hotel without all the frills on occasion to try to save, especially for one night while in cruise transit, but I would not stay here again. The room was clean, no sign of bugs or anything. Linens and towels were also clean. The hotel is old, but the staff was friendly and very helpful. The bathroom/ stand up shower was small but also clean. However, the room smelled musty and the A/C was a window unit(ok with me) but was very loud(not ok). It was extremely difficult to sleep and even breath in this room. I felt I was sleeping in a basement at someone's home because the room was that stuffy and the A/C did not help because it made the room noisy. It might have just been my room that had the funny smell and bad A/C.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family