“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR”

Coral by the Sea Hotel
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Ottawa, Canada
“YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

After reading all the other poor reviews, I knew not to have high expectations. The rooms are okay. They were clean and spacious. I've certainly seen worse. The main problem was the staff. They were SO slow with check in and they were not very helpful, at all. They did not allow me to use the phone to make local calls or help me book an excursion. Upside: Rooms are spacious (somewhat), AMAZING location (located between expensive hotels), Close to the beach (2min walk) and amazing breakfast and dinner restaurants attached to hotel. If you have a little more in the budget to spend on a more expensive hotel than please do it. However, this hotel is good for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank Sab S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Elkton, Maryland
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff. Great location. Hotel is showing its age, though, and could use some serious renovations. Great for anyone on a budget. Again, we booked a package deal online. So it was site unseen. Next time we will spend a few more bucks and step up a bit.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank curtaingal
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

This is the worst place I stayed at in Puerto Rico actually I'd have to stay I've had cleaner and more comfortable hotels in India and throughout Asia. What a dump, the room was damp and smelt moldy, I'm guessing and if the decor is anything to go by, this place hasn't been cleaned since 1972. The bathroom was smaller than your average closet, the power points didn't work except for the one behind the bed, which meant pulling out the bed from the wall and jiggling the lead around until you got a current, very dodgy. The door to the room was made of cardboard and the key, well, it sort of worked. The walls are paper thin, best over heard comment heard through the walls was a women in the room next to mine and I quote "Hello this is ... In room 416 (4th floor) I've just checked in and the toilet is blocked and over flowing". I'd have checked out instantly but it was too late for that. I chose this hotel because it was really close to the airport & and I had a really early fight the following morning & it was close to the beach but really my advice would be pay a few extra bucks and stay anywhere else you can find!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank jeninfreo

Travellers are raving about these Isla Verde hotels

Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel is perfectly located less than 100 yards to the beach and a 2 minute walk to lots of great restaurants and convenience stores. Smooth check in, room was ready, accomodations very clean and while its a little bare bones its HALF THE PRICE of other area hotels. Not the Ritz or the Hilton but a fraction of the price for the bargain hunter. I use it often when transiting through San Juan to other Caribbean destinations or cruise ships. Far from perfect, but pretty darn good and CHEAP.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank T C
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

General nice. Great localization. Poor commitment of the cleaning staff. I'm allergic to dust. I remove and clean air condition filter. I left it in the bathroom to dry and no one take care of the issue. I have to put it back. Beyond that great food in the area and the dinner staff at Pio Bello Gelato is great. Good gelatos there!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jannette A
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Coral by the Sea is a very centrally located hotel in the isla verde area of san juan. it is on a strip with lots of food establishments, casinos etc so there is lots of activities going on and night life.
This hotel is not a 4 star hotel. It is comfortable enough to stay for a night or so. There is all the amenities and the room are clean and comfortable. For persons who are renting a car, there is complimentary, hassle free parking for guests so that is a plus. There is a restaurant adjoining the hotel that sells great food and they open late. Don't expect much when booking this hotel, it is just an inexpensive place to stay that is comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank vacaye
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I made the reservation on booking.com and added a note that we would be arriving late (after midnight). We arrived at the hotel approx. 1:45 am and there was NO one to check us in. I even stood in the lobby and called 3 times. I could hear the phone ringing, but no answer. Finally we just left and went down the road and got another room (of course spending three times as much, but we were exhausted and wanted to sleep). I called the hotel the next morning to make sure they didn't charge us. The lady tells me they will have to "investigate" why no one was there. A few days later I check my account and sure enough they charged me. I called again, gave the same info, and was told the manager was unavailable but would return my call. Never got a call. Not impressed with the management AT ALL if this is how they treat people. Don't waste your time OR your money. Since I didn't actually stay there, I can't really comment on any thing else.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends