“close walk to beach and friendly staff”
Review of Verdanza Hotel

Verdanza Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The only complaint i have is the house keeping was horrible left dirty glasses and mugs made the beds that was all.coffee left in the pot.
Besides that restaurants in house were not bad many options.Short walk to the beach and other restaurants offsite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Joeken, many thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. Please note that having identified your booking, we are now addressing the lack of adequate housekeeping service with the persons responsible, including retraining. Meanwhile, I am glad to learn you enjoyed our great location and most importantly, our staff, in whom we take much pride. We hope to have a second chance to impress your favorably next time your travels bring you to San Juan! Best,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 13 January 2014

This is the second time that my wife and I have stayed at the Verdanza,last time,last November,the previous time with another couple friends of ours.Both times,the experience was very nice.In general the staff was friendly and helpful ,and they have good restaurants and bars.It's very close to the beach,and other restaurants in the area,and the rooms were clean and confortable...checking out was a little hectic,but the hotel was packed.Overall it was a really nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 287Roberto
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Definitely strongly consider staying here. The staff is great, the pool area is great - clean and beautiful grounds. In my experience, it's not a big party place, so you'll have to go get your own drink if that's what you want. The lobby is beautiful, there are restaurants for any taste right in the hotel. The Castillo Tours desk people are very professional and helpful, the on-site massage was wonderful, and it's a short walk to the beach, supermarket, bus stop and chain restaurants. The room was really the only thing keeping me from a 5 star rating: the beds were comfortable, the balcony was nice, but the bathroom was not up to my standards. I would stay here again though.

Room Tip: Only 3rd floor in the main building has a balcony, but we didn't use ours much.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carmen873
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Verdanza Hotel

I booked this hotel back in September for a two night stay in Isla Verde to finish up a 6 day trip in Puerto Rico. We stayed at Verdanza for the period December 31 - January 2. Ever since I booked this hotel I had nagging concerns whether I made the right choice because of the mixed reviews of Verdanza on Tripadvisor. Throughout the months leading to our trip I found myself constantly checking Tripadvisor for reviews of Verdanza Hotel. It appeared that Verdanza reviewers were split 50-50. Within the span of an hour after checking in, I knew that I clearly made a mistake booking this hotel. The room was small (similar to European hotels) and had a musty smell. Room lighting was dim, consisting of one floor lamp, two bedside lamps, and a desk lamp. Odd that none of the reviews of Verdanza mention this. Hotel room also lacked adequate electrical outlets to charge cellphones. In our room there was only one outlet available which was far from the bedside table. I had to set my cellphone on the floor to re-charge it. Free wifi access in the room which was touted as a hotel amenity was shaky. We called the reception three times thinking that we had the wrong password but clearly it was the lack of connectivity. This was a Big minus in my book for two reasons: 1) our room rate was not a bargain compared to other hotels in Isla Verde so I felt that we had overpaid for accomodations below our expectations; and 2) it seemed like false advertising to mention wifi access when connectivity is unstable.
The room carpeting was dated and there was a badly stained area by the bathroom area. A section of the bathroom also had peeling paint. Ice machine in the lobby was not working.
Verdanza, in my opinion, misses the mark. This hotel was ranked no. 6 in Isla Verde; a far too generous rating. It appears that the hotel devoted more effort in its dining venues rather than the hotel rooms. I have written a number of reviews for Tripadvisor; but unfortunately I am unable to give Verdanza a thumbs up rating.

Pluses of staying in Isla Verde:
1). Proximity to the airport; approximately 10 minutes away. Depending on your location, you can see the airstrip.
2). Hotels are located within close proximity of each other; so there are many to choose from.
3). 24 hour Pueblo supermarket and Walgrens within walking distance.
4) Wide selection of restaurants in the area ranging from $ to $$$$ (fast food to fine dining)
5). Beach is walking distance to many hotels; more pricier hotels have beach-front access.

3  Thank sycalopz
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Sycalopz, indeed, as a 222-room hotel, Verdanza is not a boutique property. However, we do take pride, as an independent hotel, in our own brand of hospitality, with service and the members of our team often singled out as above par. Without wishing to come across as argumentative, surely it is fair to say that a 70% rate of favorable reviews and only 55 unfavorable out of 439 to date is clearly not a 50-50 split in guest experience…

Rest assured, we take each review seriously, to make sure we address what needs attention with the departments responsible. That said, on a related note, we are pleased to be able to offer free wifi in guestrooms and public areas which normally works well – however, when there is a problem, our provider is contacted to identify and correct it and it is unfair to generalize that the service is not available as offered. Likewise, the supply of ice should not be a problem, as there is more than one ice machine available for guests – and any guest can also simply call Guest Services and have ice delivered to the room.

Sycalopz, that said, we do recognize normal wear and tear and are now in the process of moving forward with refurbishing projects such as new carpeting where necessary in order to offer the best possible experience – and we do genuinely hope to have a second chance to impress you favorably with our ongoing program of improvements and maintenance. Best,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This past December, it was our third time staying at the Verdanza. We had good experiences both times we had previously used the property. Located two blocks from a very nice beach and within walking distance of many restaurants, Verdanza makes it easy to park the car and not have to battle the traffic. The grounds surrounding the pool are scenic with lots of green grass and various, beautifully-colored orchids growing from the trunks of royal palm trees. Its pool and hot tub are spacious. I cannot comment on any of the restaurants on the property because we always enjoy one of the easy-to-reach local eateries.

We were happy to have reserved a poolside room on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the gardens and pool. Our check-in went well, and we were greeted professionally. The cost for parking was half that for the hotels on the beach. Because there was no elevator to the poolside rooms, we had to request the bell boy to lug our luggage up the stairs.

A significant downside of the Verdanza experience was the poor shape the room was in. It had not been well maintained and was quite smelly. It was in need of a significant cosmetic renovation. The horrendous noise emanating from the A/C unit made it difficult to sleep, and it had to be kept running per the written directions of the hotel in order to minimize humidity. Even the TV was not working and required a quick "repair" before we could watch the news. The quality control for the cleaning crews was obviously lacking as was their communication with management.

But, the check-out process was where Verdanza was sorely lacking in proper customer service which probably was pervasive in other areas of the operation. At ten minutes prior to check-out, I called the front desk for help in taking our luggage to the lobby. Because they did not provide an elevator, I had to rely upon their service. It took three calls and 40 minutes before someone showed up with the excuse he was on lunch break saying he did not know why the hotel didn't send someone else. With a check-out time of 12:00 noon, the hotel should have been resourced to accommodate the rush, and it should have trained its personnel not to air company issues in front of customers.

Unless I see significant improvement with Verdanza based upon reviews I read in TripAdvisor, I will not plan to return to it. There are very good alternatives both next door to the Verdanza and down the street from it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

10-FT-STOP, every experience our guests take the time to share is welcome – as each one serves as a valuable tool to keep us on our toes, ensure that shortcomings are addressed and even identify areas where new procedures and/or retraining are required. In your case, as a repeat guest, your feedback is even more valuable and you may be pleased to learn that thanks to your comments, we have implemented new service standards in our Guest Services Department, so that preventable inconveniences to guests, such as waiting for the assistance of a bellman, are addressed – as we take pride in our team and our service. Likewise, aware of the wear and tear that is to e expected, we are working hard to continue enhancing our product, as we realize even minor cosmetic changes can make a difference – and we trust you will enjoy the improvements next time your travels bring you to San Juan.

10-FT-STOP, I take the opportunity to thank you for your positive words for our staff, our services and the hotel’s privileged location. We are glad to know that you recognize and appreciate them – and hope to welcome you back soon. Best,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed at the Verdanza for one night during our trip to PR. Service was excellent - the gentleman at the front desk was very friendly, and the complimentary slushies are a nice touch. Parking at $10/day was par for the course. The rooms were spacious and clean, but really no frills. The major docking point was the fact that there was no hot water! We didn't have any at night before bed, or in the morning. This hotel would have gotten 4 stars for a central location and friendly staff otherwise.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Holly G, thank you for taking the time to share your impressions and experience. I'm glad to hear while we do not pretend to be a luxury properpty, you noticed the little details to ensure our guests feel welcome and at home, such as the welcome fruit ices (which in Puerto Rico we call "limber") and our friendly, attentive team. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you encountered with the hot water supply; we have shared your comments with our Engineering Department to look into and resolve. We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to San Juan! Best,

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I went on New Year’s Eve with my boyfriend to have a great experience as a couple and welcome the 2014. As I walked in the hotel, the lobby was set on a horrible way to a “party” for all guests. On the way to my room there was fool on the hallways and trash. My room was horrible and the lamps and shower where dirty. I went to the restaurants to see if we could have something to eat and all the restaurants where fully booked. It never said I needed to make reservations for it. Back in the room we tried room service to order something, to our surprise there was no room service. So we call front desk to order us a cab to take us to the nearest restaurant or fast food and the employee gladly answered me that they did not have that service that I should try walking or going to the nearby hotel (Embassy). My boyfriend and I walked to the Embassy Hotel and to our surprise there was an amazing party, food and cabs. The following day no one showed up to clean our room and room service takes forever. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Natalia M
LorenaJOrtiz, Public Relations Manager at Verdanza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Natalia M., I am genuinely concerned to read of your experience - and a little worried as well with perception. Indeed, on your arrival at the hotel on December 31st you would have found the lobby set up for a party, a New Year's Eve Party, which was open free of cost to all guests such as you and your boyfriend... I am sorry the setup was not to your personal taste; the lobby decor was partially removed and the entire area set up to accommodate guests to enjoy live music in a safe, fun environment. A week prior to check-in, an email was sent to arriving guests encouraging to make their dinner reservations in advance - and this was reiterated in the welcome letter (for those who may not have received or read the email), including the fact that Room Service would be available until a certain time to allow our culinary team to prepare for the evening's festivities. While one would think it would make sense for anyone to think ahead about dinner plans for New Year's Eve before arriving at a hotel, we still took it upon ourselves to advise guests to do so to ensure everyone had a wonderful time in the venue of their choice. Surely you understand that it is up to the guest to inquire and make plans in advance.

Further, you mention there were no cabs, but walked to the hotel across the street where there were cabs – the thing is, Natalie M, Verdanza and the Embassy share the same line of cabs, located between both properties, from where they are hailed by either hotel staff as necessary; if one hotel has cabs available, so does the other...

Rooms are inspected before they are assigned to a guest; did you contact Guest Services to inform of issues in your room? We want our guests to be comfortable in their accommodations, but we need to have the opportunity to correct anything that may not be up to standards, rather than reading it about it after the fact, when we have already missed the chance to serve you and impress you favorably! And if you sleep-in following the night's celebration and place the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your, the Housekeeping Department honors your request and remains available to service your room later in the day when you request it at your convenience.

We do apologize for the delay in room service the following day, as indeed we were operating at full capacity.

Natalie M., we aim to make every guest feel welcome and at home with us. For New Year's Eve we had a wonderful party that you could have enjoyed in the company of your boyfriend, four restaurants where you could have made reservations in advance for dinner (and were advised to do so), and cabs available for those who wished to go elsewhere, so while we take every review seriously and address raised issues with the key departments, in this case I am inclined to believe that some other issue beyond our control affected your overall experience on New Year's Eve.

Please feel free to contact me at feelthevibe@verdanzahotel.com. All the best to you and your boyfriend in 2014 - and beyond!